Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: a question for the bush hobbits

Quote Originally Posted by IamHackmeat View Post
    ok i get what you guys are saying thanks . i spend a lot of time sitting which is when ive shot most of the animals . ive tried fawn and hind calls i think i need to practice a LOT more as it normaly makes them go faster. way back last century i used to mostly spook and shoot in the tarauras but the areas i was in were a lot more open . will keep working at it .
    fawn calls are easy mate, they more so work because deer are curious not because it sounded perfectly like a fawn to them, also it won't work if the deer is spooked because it knows your a human but will if it has started moving away because its edgy about something not quite right(heard a sound or some saw some non animal movement)

Processor animals have to be whole. Apart from when they took rear ends only way back in the day. Old habits die hard too although at over sixty I can’t carry what I used to.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    Not a dig at you but this is another reason I would never carry out a deer whole.
    worse that bloody stupid method one sees in photos where straps of skin are cut as shoulder straps and the hind quarters are carried right way up on ones back - just like a deer walking away ahhh - dumb dumb and dumber -

so how much volume should i be using when hind/fawn calling? i normally whistle or a softish oi and they will sometimes stop. used to do that after pushing them out of bed but the ones down here just go faster.
    Last edited by IamHackmeat; 03-02-2024 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    worse that bloody stupid method one sees in photos where straps of skin are cut as shoulder straps and the hind quarters are carried right way up on ones back - just like a deer walking away ahhh - dumb dumb and dumber -
    Easy fix Barry me old mate...... carry them upside down, Its just as comfortable
    Maxx, woods223 and charliehorse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by IamHackmeat View Post
    so how much volume should i be using when hind/fawn calling? i normally whistle or a softish oi and they will sometimes stop. used to do that after pushing them out of bed but the ones down here just go faster.
    loud enough for them to hear but no more...go visit a deer farm and talk to mum n fawns.....when you get it right/wrong they will let you know... can be really rewarding just on dusk all the wee calls going on..best I can describe it is from back of throat a squeaky"nek"....like in nek minute..listen to deer in paddock and will get it soon enough.
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    loud enough for them to hear but no more...go visit a deer farm and talk to mum n fawns.....when you get it right/wrong they will let you know... can be really rewarding just on dusk all the wee calls going on..best I can describe it is from back of throat a squeaky"nek"....like in nek minute..listen to deer in paddock and will get it soon enough.
    some on you tube to practice with - yah don't have to be perfect - just watch some of the NZ you tube roar hunting videos of NZ hunters sounding like hippos farting and the deer still roar back

I have taught myself that before i pull the trigger i know if it is a hind or stag and from there is it mature or young, in the stag front roughly how many points on top....so that once i pull the trigger and if hits (sometimes trees are a casualty lol) and runs when i get over to it i know what it is... this prpcess may be over a few seconds or minutes depending on the situation....in my view this process allows me to positively identify your target.....

Dont make fast movements...i spooked a young stag one day, he stoppped and looked back at me after a hind call, i maintained eye contact and slowly lifted gun up....felt like forever....needles to say he hit the deck...on another occasion a mate standing next to me lifted rifle quick and a spiker bolted.....lesson learned

Have fun and enjoy

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    way busier these days than ‘80-90’s’.
    Unfrickenfortunately our population has doubled since 1970

Everywhere I went in the early 80's and had the place to myself, are often now crawling with people.

A tad off topic.
    In some USA states its a requirement to wear an orange vest during hunting season.

When hunting on public land I always wear a red or orange hat, cap or beanie. Only issue is cockies see it and often circle over head making a racket.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    A tad off topic.
    In some USA states its a requirement to wear an orange vest during hunting season.

When hunting on public land I always wear a red or orange hat, cap or beanie. Only issue is cockies see it and often circle over head making a racket.
    IV seen red deer at certain time of the year on certain feed on public land where they look very similar to faded hi vis orange and also remember that a percentage of the population is colour blind so the hi vis means nothing to them
    IamHackmeat likes this.

red/green color blind is common enough...nato blue for the win LOL...BETTER STILL the jester top with all different panels of fleece.

Well, I guess if 8% of the population is red/green colour blind and 92% will see the red, it would be a total waste of time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindnessName:  Screenshot_20240204-162643_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  24.0 KB
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

unless you happen to meet one of that 8%....I used to hunt with fella who had it..right pain in arse to point out animal to him. couldnt see shit on meat either.
    this subject has a couple or three threads of its own. pros n cons of camo and blaze have been done to death..I will say if your blaze orange is faded..chuck it away quickly please...VERY close to colour of summer red deer coat....
    Oldbloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    unless you happen to meet one of that 8%....I used to hunt with fella who had it..right pain in arse to point out animal to him. couldnt see shit on meat either.
    this subject has a couple or three threads of its own. pros n cons of camo and blaze have been done to death..I will say if your blaze orange is faded..chuck it away quickly please...VERY close to colour of summer red deer coat....
    one of the other butchers i work with has it. guess who doesn't have to do any trimming .
    Micky Duck likes this.