Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Question - Shooting on Canterbury Rivers

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    Good luck. a few years ago I wanted to make sure I was OK to shoot some bunnies in a nearby riverbed as it was getting to be a plague of them.

first I spoke to DOC, who said they don't manage riverbeds, I should speak with fish and game.

fish and game said they only deal in fish and game birds not game animals, and I would need to talk to DOC

rinse and repeat a couple of times before I got too pissed off to carry on.

I'd love to have some clarification about taking deer in the likes of the rakaia river though so if you find anything out make sure to let us know
    That was pretty much my experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    Good luck. a few years ago I wanted to make sure I was OK to shoot some bunnies in a nearby riverbed as it was getting to be a plague of them.

first I spoke to DOC, who said they don't manage riverbeds, I should speak with fish and game.

fish and game said they only deal in fish and game birds not game animals, and I would need to talk to DOC

rinse and repeat a couple of times before I got too pissed off to carry on.

I'd love to have some clarification about taking deer in the likes of the rakaia river though so if you find anything out make sure to let us know
    I try to do a lot of salmon fishing between the gorge and the mouth.Theres deer sign right thru to near the mouth.I heard of a 14 pointer shot up near Steels Road a few yrs ago in April.Guy roared him right in,he thort the stag hadnt seen a hind for a few yrs.lols.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I try to do a lot of salmon fishing between the gorge and the mouth.Theres deer sign right thru to near the mouth.I heard of a 14 pointer shot up near Steels Road a few yrs ago in April.Guy roared him right in,he thort the stag hadnt seen a hind for a few yrs.lols.
    oh, tons of fallow, a few reds. but again, I'm not sure of the legalities of shooting them there

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    On my NZ Topo50 app settings , DOC open hunting regions, most of the large rivers are not in the permitted hunting
    Most of the open river bed areas are managed by LINZ

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    What does that mean ? I'm asking can I still hunt in that area ?
    Land Information New Zealand, might be an office close to Rotorua. I know theres one in ChCh. Better to give them a call rather than an email, and like DoC and F&G, you might be transferred from one person to the next until you get the right person. The answer I got was "its public land, we dont give out permits, it is understood that you can go hunting providing your doing all the other stuff legally. But it might pay to talk to DoC" And we all know that talking to DoC is a waste of time. But LINZ can tall you who manages each and every parcel of public land in NZ.
    Micky Duck and turtle like this.

the biggest issue in NZ is the mindset we have a queens chain......on rivers...we dont.it is only on a very few rivers..MOST waterways are still owned by surrounding landowners to centre of river when it was surveyed..however its more no mans land then anything else...the same as along beachs and dunes....
    Ive sighted in rifle for years with a good solid backstop in riverbed or beside beach..... Im always aware of whats around or could be around so good solid backstop is vital..... the days of wandering where ever we like with rifle are going fast..far better to go knock on a few doors as ask,state your intentions and see how you go.... far better than getting back to wagon and finding a note to call into nearest police station,or worse still having knock on door in wee small hours to take away your guns...
    Trout, MB and bigbear like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I took my dogs to the rakaia for the pheasant "season" a few years back, they hit deer sign and didnt want to bother with pheasants after that
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

This thread is opening a big can of worms, I suggest stop commenting on it and it will go away, and hunting in riverbeds will carry on.
    Trout and Mathias like this.

Doesn't matter what doc says, linz says F&G all it takes is one complaint to the police. Talk to local property owners first, then have a talk with the local police.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Agree you can't go passed asking the local/neighbouring landowner. You may even get the nod to go for a shoot if you're not a knuckle dragger...

That said, if you want to try and identify public land, go to wams.org.nz

If the river bed shows up as a colour, it's generally public land: pink/light blue = esplanade reserve (sort of like Queens chain); dark green and light green are public reserves or DOC land.

If you locate these coloured areas, and they're overlapping where you hope to hunt, right click your mouse over the area and a pop up box should appear with land title info. It will say if it's administered by DOC or your local council etc - and that should give you a steer on who to contact and ask about hunting permission.

Hope that sort of makes sense... and helps.

Good luck.
    Husky1600, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.

Similar story.
    ECAN told me they dont have any rules except for Regional Parks.
    They told me to talk to DOC.
    I know DOC dont manage this public land but sent them a message anyway.
    I have sent message to DOC anyway but either don't expect a reply or one that they will be pulling fence pickets out their arse due to the said...fence sitting.
    I decided to contact the Regional Council see what they say.
    Last resort I will make contact with the adjoining land owners and ask them.
    If still nothing, I will save my documented efforts and go for a look with a rifle.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Land Information New Zealand, might be an office close to Rotorua. I know theres one in ChCh. Better to give them a call rather than an email, and like DoC and F&G, you might be transferred from one person to the next until you get the right person. The answer I got was "its public land, we dont give out permits, it is understood that you can go hunting providing your doing all the other stuff legally. But it might pay to talk to DoC" And we all know that talking to DoC is a waste of time. But LINZ can tall you who manages each and every parcel of public land in NZ.
    Good tip. Didn't think of LINZ.
    Also didnt see more replies before my last reply.

Cheers lads and ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast.Shot View Post
    Agree you can't go passed asking the local/neighbouring landowner. You may even get the nod to go for a shoot if you're not a knuckle dragger...

That said, if you want to try and identify public land, go to wams.org.nz

If the river bed shows up as a colour, it's generally public land: pink/light blue = esplanade reserve (sort of like Queens chain); dark green and light green are public reserves or DOC land.

If you locate these coloured areas, and they're overlapping where you hope to hunt, right click your mouse over the area and a pop up box should appear with land title info. It will say if it's administered by DOC or your local council etc - and that should give you a steer on who to contact and ask about hunting permission.

Hope that sort of makes sense... and helps.

Good luck.
    Also helpful. cheers

Got some good info. @ Cast.Shot.
    The section I want to hunt is classified as: PArcel Intent: Hydro.

What is parcel intent?
    Definition. A parcel defining land that will become Common Marine and Coastal Area on subdivision pursuant to Sec 237A(1)(b) RM Act. Use “hydro” parcel intent to create a residue parcel for land that has already become part of the common marine & coastal area pursuant to the Marine & Coastal Area Act 2011.

Parcel Intent Usage - Land Information New Zealand

The legislation says:

Rights of access
    (1)
    Every individual has, without charge, the following rights:
    (a)
    to enter, stay in or on, and leave the common marine and coastal area:
    (b)
    to pass and repass in, on, over, and across the common marine and coastal area:
    (c)
    to engage in recreational activities in or on the common marine and coastal area.
    (2)
    The rights conferred by this section are subject to any authorised prohibitions or restrictions that are imposed under section 79, or by or under any other enactment.
    (3)
    A prohibition or restriction of the kind described in subsection (2) may, subject to the enactment in which it is contained or by which it is authorised, apply to—
    (a)
    any or all of the rights conferred by this section:
    (b)
    1 or more ways of exercising those rights:
    (c)
    1 or more defined periods, or an indefinite period, or recurring periods of a stated kind:
    (d)
    1 or more specified areas.
    (4)
    In this section, enactment includes bylaws, regional plans, and district plans.
    Rights of navigation
    27Rights of navigation within marine and coastal area
    (1)
    Every person has the following rights:
    (a)
    to enter, and pass and repass through, the marine and coastal area by ship:
    (b)
    to temporarily anchor, moor, and ground within the marine and coastal area:
    (c)
    to load and unload cargo, crew, equipment, and passengers within the marine and coastal area:
    (d)
    to remain in a place within the marine and coastal area for a convenient time:
    (e)
    to remain temporarily in a place within the marine and coastal area until wind or weather permits departure or until cargo has been obtained or repairs completed.
    (2)
    The rights conferred by subsection (1) include anything reasonably incidental to their exercise.
    (3)
    The rights conferred by subsection (1) may be exercised subject to any authorised restrictions and prohibitions that are imposed by or under an enactment, including restrictions and prohibitions imposed under sections 78 and 79.
    (4)
    A restriction or prohibition of the kind described in subsection (3) may, subject to the enactment in which it is contained or by which it is authorised, apply to—
    (a)
    1 or more of the rights conferred by this section:
    (b)
    1 or more ways of exercising those rights:
    (c)
    a definite period or an indefinite period, or recurring periods of a stated kind:
    (d)
    1 or more specified areas.
    (5)
    In this section, enactment includes bylaws, regional plans, and district plans.
    Rights of fishing
    28Fishing rights preserved
    (1)
    Nothing in this Act prevents the exercise of any fishing rights conferred or recognised by or under an enactment or by a rule of law.
    (2)
    Subsection (1) is subject to section 81.

AS per:

Version as at 28 October 2021

Coat of Arms of New Zealand
    Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011
    Public Act

2011 No 3
    Date of assent

31 March 2011
    Commencement

Which the Access rules are from.
    I searched keywords - Hunting/Firearm/Gun/Game
    Nothing.
    Therefore I take that is Hunting is an acceptable recreational activity and good to go.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Theres is actually no law to say you cannot hunt on hydro waters.As long as you are carefull and use common sence.Abide by a few basic fire arm laws(distance from roads,farm buildings and high ways.Dont draw attention to your self.But id stick to the high country hydro waters for centre fire rifle use.
    Husky1600, Mathias and MB like this.