Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Recommended Outfitter

FYI, just got PM ability.

So if anyone has some info they'd like to share...send it!

Thanks!

Hows progress, have you made contact with anyone just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Hows progress, have you made contact with anyone just yet.
    I'm in contact with someone from Poronui, and at Ngamatea. I've emailed Ohinerata, but not heard back after a week.
    Doing the private thing out there with no friends/relatives would require quite a bit of planning, and I'm not sure how the rifle situation would work since I would need to provide a contact over there who has a license, and the ability to store my gear.
    I could do a bow hunt, but without scouting ability (unless I stayed for a month) it's a difficult proposition.
    I'm (we're) thinking of doing an outfitter the first time, and maybe meet some locals who would be good contacts in the future for the next occasion.
    BTW, I've found that not all outfitters allow meat to be taken back. I know it's legal to take back up to 50lbs per person, but some outfitters state that meat cannot be taken from their place, while others allow it.
    Any idea what the difference is? I'm guessing maybe a special permit is needed by the outfitter, and some don't have it...
    Also, how does the "Trophy Fee" work? It seems all the outfitters charge a range of fees just for the animal, depending on its size. Is this a state thing? It's not a big deal, just wondering...

There's no limits over here on numbers/sizes/sexes of deer permitted to be taken, as they are all introduced animals and some consider 'pests'. So any limits/restrictions are just those dreamt up by the owners of the property. If you are on Public land, and have a hunting permit (available free from the administrator of the land (DoC)) then you can take as much as you like. And remove or leave on the hill as much meat as you like.

Its completely different from most other countries, as all game animals here were introduced by us from overseas.

Most private land hunts will charge a day rate for the guide some include 1 meat animal in that rate so you need to check.
    Then a stag is extra. Most of these places while they are fully free range they do manage the herd, starting with cull stags and on up from there. You need to ask as their charge out fees range, some are per point, some on a basic classification, cull, representative, bronze, silver, gold, supergold etc.
    I'm only guessing but I would expect you would be looking at $1-2K NZD for a representative head on private land.

The guy's I used did everything for me from airport pickups, tent's / cabin accommodation, food drinks etc,. They also had a range of options for taxidermy etc if I wanted that. They can arrange processing and packaging of meat etc, I took my own rifles but they have some nice stuff for hire if you want it.
    Z