Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Roar timing for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Anyone been up the Whirinakis yet? I plan on going in next week sometime.
    Hi Kiwigreen, yeah there roaring in there mate, our crew heard 2 got 1.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by initiaz View Post
    Hi Felas

Any updates on the eastern Tararuas.. Anyone heard anything so far..
    spent last two days in the north eastern area and they are going well from 7am-1pm then seem to break for lunch an start up again after dark. was a long walk from the car park before hearing anything though - that's for sure!
    initiaz and Feral like this.

Southern Tararuas have been roaring last two nights at least

Just spent 4 days in and around cattle creek. Lots of deer roaring alot closer than usual. brilliant weather. To many options , should have spent more time chasing one and not all of them. Few well churned up wallows. Lots of people around and quite a few gun shots. Had one Moaning just up above where Brads photo of the vehicles is , no more than 200meters from the roadend.Name:  wallow.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  83.5 KB
    Dundee, BRADS and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Hi Kiwigreen, yeah there roaring in there mate, our crew heard 2 got 1.....
    Cheers mate. Good to hear that, my dad's hunted there quite a bit but hasn't been in for 15 or so years and is going to take me in next week.

I reckon the roar is going to be shit this year. Since when is Taupo forcasted for 12-15 overnight temps in April? lol!
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Just been into the Ruahines for the past week and have had plenty of action and shot a 10 pointer on friday night, after that it went dead with only a few roars because it warmed right back up again recently.

saw 40 odd deer last week.
    Similar to my experiences last week. Plenty of action but they weren't that fired up and shut up when challenged in their own territory.

Saw 25-30 odd for the week. Only saw two other hunters on the walk out.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Similar to my experiences last week. Plenty of action but they weren't that fired up and shut up when challenged in their own territory.

Western Tararuas earlier this week I had one quite worked up, so worked up I actually thought it was another hunter trying to rile me up! Then I realised he and another stag were only replying to my roars. The others were all standard, but this bugger was growling. Going back in tomorrow to find him
    Matt2308, Scouser and LifeLust like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post

yeah was probably a bit early, that's why it's good to have another person roaring further back while you sneak in. Only had that 3 days of prime action while it was cold.
    The one I shot was roaring well when challenged in his territory, didn't seem too angry. Just casually roaring back.

No hunters in where we are

Another walk in and out this morning. 3-4 roaring around us on day break, managed to find the stag from my last visit. Found his tracks, shit, prints, wallow, rubbings so I know where I'll be focusing when the weather cools. We roared him, and he was aggressive back while we were a couple of hundred metres away but once we closed in on him (to less than a hundred metres I reckon) he went quite feeble then disappeared. we had to settle for a couple of smellies on the way out instead. Interesting though, my mate and I noticed the whole bush just went quiet around 9am... nothing roaring anywhere. was most active just after daybreak.
    Matt2308 and Scouser like this.

Just spent a week in the upper Rakaia area. Too warm. Hinds and yearlings still together. Stags were only establishing territories, and the odd moan. We had only one evening of roars and got two excited about us but only that one out of 9 days.
    It's going to be late up there - we need the cold! I slept on the tops out of my sleeping bag as I was too warm.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Just spent a week in the upper Rakaia area. Too warm. Hinds and yearlings still together. Stags were only establishing territories, and the odd moan. We had only one evening of roars and got two excited about us but only that one out of 9 days.
    It's going to be late up there - we need the cold! I slept on the tops out of my sleeping bag as I was too warm.
    similiar experience up lewis pass. Had one moaning for about an hour this morning, hinds and yearlings out but no stags in sight.
    Wallows havent been used in anger, just a bit of splashing about but not in the last few days.
    Matt2308 and Uplandstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    similiar experience up lewis pass. Had one moaning for about an hour this morning, hinds and yearlings out but no stags in sight.
    Wallows havent been used in anger, just a bit of splashing about but not in the last few days.
    That's music to my ears...Get me off this drill ship quickly!!!

Same here, stuck in the Nordic for the next 5 days!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2