Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Rookie mistakes!

Banned
    Not quite but close.but it's good advice for this person

bloody shit phone

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Rookie mistake 101 don't hunt on the internet.get out into real bush and learn the best way.books are better info than internet info when it comes to hunting.

bloody shit phone
    Awww but I was getting so good...

Play Supreme Deer Hunting, a free online game on Kongregate

Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Nope, being in your undies and having 2 dead deer on the back of the ute is even more disturbing!!
    Dammit! Fair call though
    VIVA LA HOWA

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    One thing I've learned is to make a list of things to take and cross it off as it goes into the pack - I've left a bolt behind before.

I never stop feeling like a bit of a noob cos every trip I do I'm always experimenting with different ways of using gear and whatnot

The most recent one would be always refresh ya head torch batteries..
    Torch one is a good one! I always forget about spare batteries... :/

Yeah a big black trash bag as a pack liner is a great idea - Have you read "Red Deer Hunting in NZ" by Lentle and Saxon? - any of their books are worth it and are often popular loans at the library

The main mistake I'd make in the early days was carrying too much stuff - I get pretty brutal about weight reduction these days

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You really hate the "internet hunters" (pretty much this forum) don't you
    Neckers hasn't been getting enough "real bush" I'm guessing mate

Take a spare shear pin for your outboard when flying into fiordland.
    And have a spare spark plug too.

Probably the most common rookie mistake when hunting is forgetting about the wind. You can be watching animals hundreds of meters away and e few seconds after the wind turns to your back they are alerted and usually gone.
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Yeah a big black trash bag as a pack liner is a great idea - Have you read "Red Deer Hunting in NZ" by Lentle and Saxon? - any of their books are worth it and are often popular loans at the library

The main mistake I'd make in the early days was carrying too much stuff - I get pretty brutal about weight reduction these days
    I know that R&R Sport give you free decent pack liners with a CUTC membership - but I'm pretty set and carrying around a small role of large bags comes in handy for lots of things
    I was actually going to rent out some books from the library and that sounds like a good read!

I've read a lot of Philip Holden's books, especially his one from his deer culling days - fantastic hut reads in my opinion, he write so well and encapsulates the feel and thrill of hunting so well. "Pack and Rifle" is my favourite. And a few other ones on highland game hunting tales but none really instructional - so I'll be sure to look up any suggestions

I was up in the hills when I was younger and had some city boys storm the hut at 2300hrs. In the morning we climbed a ridge and these fullas go "look there is a goat down on the creek bed". They had open sights on their rifles and so did I at the time. They were ready to take the shot from the ridge at the white movement below when I handed them my binos and they could clearly see it was a guy in white overalls walking the creek.

Bloody glad I was with them idiots or that fulla might not be here today. Anyway those clowns climbed the ridge and went further into the hills and I left and proceeded to the car park a couple of hours away and met the dude in the white overalls. We exchanged words....many actualy. Seemed to me he was a pot smoker checking his crop. And if those young fellas can remember this I hope you are better rookies now!
    Aly likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Probably the most common rookie mistake when hunting is forgetting about the wind. You can be watching animals hundreds of meters away and e few seconds after the wind turns to your back they are alerted and usually gone.
    Know of any good resources/books on wind patterns for that one? Generally speaking the staying downwind rule is the most obvious, but I've read a little about different/changing flows in valleys and temperamental weather patterns to watch out for - but I don't have much clue on where to get information on that!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Or shear pin for your pto winch to save you 6hrs of agony.

Oh yeah, earplugs if you stay in huts
    The snoring can be incredible
    veitnamcam, Bryan, Pengy and 2 others like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Know of any good resources/books on wind patterns for that one? Generally speaking the staying downwind rule is the most obvious, but I've read a little about different/changing flows in valleys and temperamental weather patterns to watch out for - but I don't have much clue on where to get information on that!
    Pilots meteorology books have heaps of info on that stuff. But heavy reading.

Just get amongst it and you will learn quickly.
    Aly likes this.

If you ever decide to modify your rifle, make sure you keep the old parts just in case.

I made the mistake of selling my my old ar10 stock when changeling to an adjustable stock, didn't realise I would have to get a custom buffer made up.

Rookie mistake.

Nate.
    Aly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    I just got 63,850 points... does that mean I'm an awesome hunter?
    Aly likes this.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!