Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Puddleduk

Thread: ruahines 1080 drop?

ruahines 1080 drop?

hey all, just trying to find out information on weather the 1080 drop did happen in the ruahines and what parts are effected.
    Also is it best to avoid hunting these areas due to the 1080 or is it safe to shoot deer?

cheers

Northern due for drop in May 1st onwards

https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...sticidesummary

Definitely avoid area if using a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Northern due for drop in May 1st onwards

https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...sticidesummary
    yeah interesting I see from the days I did aerial 1080 the withholding periods have changed - 1080 is now 4 months and Brodifacoum is 3 years - they were 6 months and 1 year - shows how nasty brodifacoum ( talon ) is - nasty shit and yet one can buy it no license required - certainly dogs I would be damn wary of 1080- they are just so susceptibly to it - if one believes the 1080 science it does not bind in fat or muscle or bone and a non lethal dose is passed out of an animal very quickly - brodifacoum does bind in muscle and fat -

The Northern Ruahine operation missed its window so has been postponed until next year. I heard they are going to wait until the roar is over and then will try and get it completed. Call the palmy office for the up to date info on the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yeah interesting I see from the days I did aerial 1080 the withholding periods have changed - 1080 is now 4 months and Brodifacoum is 3 years - they were 6 months and 1 year - shows how nasty brodifacoum ( talon ) is - nasty shit and yet one can buy it no license required - certainly dogs I would be damn wary of 1080- they are just so susceptibly to it - if one believes the 1080 science it does not bind in fat or muscle or bone and a non lethal dose is passed out of an animal very quickly - brodifacoum does bind in muscle and fat -
    I know of a dog lost to 1080 18 months after a rabbit poison. Was dry Marlborough country. The owner never saw the dog touch anything but all the symptoms was 1080 before it was put down.
    Hunted some country last winter that was poisoned 12 months previously, saw mummified rabbit carcasses and got myself and the dog out of there quickly.
    paremata likes this.