Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Shooting rest in tussock country

Shooting rest in tussock country

So after missing my first pig few weeks ago due to a wobbly sight picture, I've been on the search for some sort of shooting rest.
    The type of country I hunt in is usually full of tussock and scrub, often way too high for a bipod.

I've been doing research on shooting sticks. They come with 1 or 2 or 3 legs. More legs = more stability, but also more weight.
    Just wondering everyone else prefers to use? What is the best balance between stability and mobility?

Garden stakes + Castration rings sounds like a cheap DIY option but I wonder how stable it would be?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDi-u2r2QyE

Thanks

Name:  PXL_20221022_211643668.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  5.46 MB

Name:  PXL_20221022_211627165.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  4.95 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    RV1 likes this.

I have the issue in Central Otago. Watching with interest.
    Synthetic likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I use a tall frame pack for a day bag and sit with it between my knees for a rest.

Quad sticks are about as stable as you can get. I’ve made a set out of bamboo that I can use when sitting.
    jakewire and Synthetic like this.

Brian practices a lot free hand and with a manuka pole reckons he's never had a good natural rest yet. I remember him 15 years ago Tahr hunting saying 'dont ever rely on matagouri or tussock to give you a decent rest, you have to make your own rest and practise with it'.
    Last edited by nor-west; 23-10-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    tikka, DUCKHUNTER and Synthetic like this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Walking poles are a dual purpose option.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have this issue also and run an Artcise cs60c carbon fiber tripod and Spartan Davros head, a very steady setup and ideal for flat and not so flat situations, can also be used as low as you would use a bipod too if the situation required, I have posted pics of it in other threads https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....4/#post1372579
    I have successfully shot this setup out to 500 yards and no doubt it would be capable of further I just haven't tried.
    the other thing I like is you can unscrew 1 of the legs and use it as a walking stick, it is very strong and light for what it is.
    I run 2 spartan flush cups in my stock, 1 just in front of the mag well for using on the tripod as pictured in the other thread and a second one at the tip of the fore for use with the bipod or the tripod if shooting off it at lower heights prone.
    Bol Tackshin, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I have this issue also and run an Artcise cs60c carbon fiber tripod and Spartan Davros head, a very steady setup and ideal for flat and not so flat situations, can also be used as low as you would use a bipod too if the situation required, I have posted pics of it in other threads https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....4/#post1372579
    I have successfully shot this setup out to 500 yards and no doubt it would be capable of further I just haven't tried.
    the other thing I like is you can unscrew 1 of the legs and use it as a walking stick, it is very strong and light for what it is.
    I run 2 spartan flush cups in my stock, 1 just in front of the mag well for using on the tripod as pictured in the other thread and a second one at the tip of the fore for use with the bipod or the tripod if shooting off it at lower heights prone.
    That looks rock solid. How do you find hiking with it? And is it reasonably quick to setup if you spot an animal?
    dannyb likes this.

This is what I use, folds together to make a pole, handy crossing rivers, just help general stability. Made out of garden sticks few small nuts and bolts although the docking ring idea would possibly be better and easier to do.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  63.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    That looks rock solid. How do you find hiking with it? And is it reasonably quick to setup if you spot an animal?
    to be honest I haven't really had a chance to take it out for a hunt since buying it, it wouldn't be as quick as a bipod or just shooting off the top of your pack, both are skills I am reasonably proficient at if a hurried shot is required.
    the legs extend in 3 sections each of which need to be unscrewed then tightened once desired length is reached, its more of a sit and spot kinda set up. The weight is definately not an issue it's plenty light enough, deer are much heavier on the other hand
    it is rock solid and you can also use the davros head with an optics mount for spotter scope or binos with the right adapter.
    Synthetic likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

If you already have some garden stakes (or somethign similar) set up something like you have in the video and test it out at home, you can learn a lot about what works and what doesn't with dry fire practies or just playing with ideas.

If you are have time to set up a tripod in your intended shooting situation a carbon fibre tripod is an excellent option for building a stable shooting platform in basically in the field.
    The downside are, that they aren't cheap, take a bit of setting up (with practise this can pretty quick), and they are can be annoying to carry if your pack doesn't have decent side straps.

@flock is on to it.
    I shoot deer at night for a living and have been using shooting sticks this season. Prone with a bipod fastest and most stable, sitting with bipod legs extended fast and almost as stable, shooting sticks next best thing but not as quick to reposition for follow up shots and almost as stable. certainly good enough for me to head shoot out to 200 meters and not to difficult to carry
    Bill999, 308, Shearer and 3 others like this.

MB
    I used the same DIY sticks as Flock for rabbit shooting. Very effective. I covered mine in cloth tape. Makes them quieter and nicer to handle in the cold. There are commercial versions available too. Carbon fibre if you want to spend $$$.

Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

My technique is to have two walking poles
    Each pole has a number of turns of electrical tape around it 2/3rds of the way up
    Leave a small end section of tape folded back in itself so about 1cm does not stock down

It you need a rest
    Unwrap one lot of tape enough to loosely wrap both poles together parralel with each other
    Then when you open the legs up the tape tightens and it is very stable
    I do this just below the padded handles and the rifle sits nicely in the V
    Works well
    Relatively quick
    And with some practice can be very effective
    Mostly used in alpine tussoch and at animals that are not aware you are there so have some time to set up

But very quick when you've done it a few times
    veitnamcam, canross, NO4 and 3 others like this.

Rudolph Optics NZ sells collapsable quads for about $200. They are light and weigh just about nothing.

Ive been using quad sticks for years - best thing since sliced bread. I just ordered a new set, 4Deadhold, from a fella in South Africa - for rabbit culling.
    Synthetic likes this.