Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Short barrel 6.5prc vs .270win

Quote Originally Posted by Akj View Post
    What kind of velocities did you see out of the .270?
    2990 with 130 grn ballistic tips. W760 powder. Wasn’t maximum. Killed well. Bit messy.
    You could use any of half a dozen cases and there will be nothing in it except marginal ballistic differences.
    .270 cases and components are easy to get.
    Whoops, here comes matron, gotta go….
    veitnamcam, Trout, Shearer and 7 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

the poor old .270 get slammed with all manner of accusations...and just like any other cartridge its all about matching the load to the game...
    the above comment from Tahr is classic (and I respect this man and his opinions immensely) 130 killed well but was messy....well that just means it killed really well and did what you asked it to do..really well .a change in projectile will have changed terminal effect...
    if the 130s being used were..messy/too explody/doing too much damage......changing to something harder would change that..slowing it down would do that,changing point of aim would do that..going heavier/slower would do that,using mono would definately do that and could drop weight of projectile too...but thats almost too much of step in other direction.
    as for comment by @bang re it being out dated technology because no one is making anything similar.......well maybe the ylearned from the 25/06 and 6.5/06 and to some extend the .280 the yare all good but the .270 does same job with less fluffing around..re inventing the wheel type deal.
    or as that wise old Chinese reloader once said "hif it works,dont faark around wif it"
    the new 145grn hornady loads have given .270 users a capable longer range load
    the spc cartridges gave lighter projectiles and if want to spend coin for custom jobbie,faster twist barrels.
    the old gal has ALWAYS been kneecapped with poorer projectile choice compared to calibres either side of it..but if a fella had spent the little bit extra coin and bought nosler projectiles he would never have been far behind..hornady bog std cup n core are very accurate and kill well too... matching weight to what you want to achieve works wonders..I found the 140s much less explody than the 130s,the boat tail makes them doddle to reload.
    RUMPY likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Shot a 270 win Sako Bavarian Stutzen which is 20 inches and it was a cannon and a half. Did not suit me, 308 is better suited but end of the day your choice.

Why 17 inches?

suppressors have been biggest gamechanger for the cartridge....less boot and no big boom.
    RUMPY likes this.

I am looking to get a tikka and cut the barrel to around 17 inches and add a suppressor. I am in between 6.5prc and .270win and plan on shooting 130-140gr bullets in either. Max hunting distance probably won’t be over 400 yards. I currently shoot .270 so I have components already but I cannot find much data on short .270s. Does anyone have velocities to share out of either cartridge in a short barrel?
    as many on here have said just get a 308 and get out hunting you wont go wrong trust me I have hunted for 50 years plus - if you are determined to cut a rifle down then .270 but you have just fucked up a really really great cartridge
    57jl and Moa Hunter like this.

I’m open to suggestions. Care to elaborate?
    My suggestion is to get a 308.

You're wanting a cartridge that's proven it does well from 16-18" barrels for hunting out to 400m... That's called a 308... Why blow 55-60gr powder down a barrel for an academically small increase in performance and a shit load more noise and less barrel life?

Fwiw, I doubt there is any meaningful difference in efficiency between 270 Win and 6.5 PRC. Tahr gets 2990 with a 130 from a 20" 270. I can get ~3200 with a 130 from a 26" PRC so shortened it would be similar.
    Akj likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Akj
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer270 View Post
    Shot a 270 win Sako Bavarian Stutzen which is 20 inches and it was a cannon and a half. Did not suit me, 308 is better suited but end of the day your choice.

Why 17 inches?
    To keep the overall length down with a suppressor

I am looking to get a tikka and cut the barrel to around 17 inches and add a suppressor. I am in between 6.5prc and .270win and plan on shooting 130-140gr bullets in either. Max hunting distance probably won’t be over 400 yards. I currently shoot .270 so I have components already but I cannot find much data on short .270s. Does anyone have velocities to share out of either cartridge in a short barrel?
    just spotted your location....... maybe you want the power of bigger cartridge but portability of slightly shorter barrel???
    the extra 4" will be an extra 30-50fps per inch so ???120-200fps total more..or less depending if cut or leave long....
    3-4 seasons back the NZHunter crew ran factory rifles and cartridges (sponser request type deal) and were using stock std tikka .270 as bush rifle as the numbers stacked up better for it..much to Gregs surprise and I suspect discust LOL...
    going .308 will allow you to up projectile weight to 180grn class..but if your lucky you can actually find 160-170 and 180 grn in .277 anyway...and the 150grn partition is plurry good anyway..and they make a 160grn so wouldnt be giving away much to a fatter bore.
    the obvious answer is .30/06 for more power and smack down....

@Akj

The fellas on this site, and at least one of the sites you’ve posted the same question on, are mostly telling you to do the same thing.

Use a .308 Win.

However...

If you model 6.5 PRC vs .270 Win vs .308 Win, which I recommend you do, you'll see that in reality there's 2/10ths of bugger all between them with a 18" barrel.

At all ranges, you're looking at a terminal energy delta of ~5% more or less, depending on bullet and how fast you're prepared to push it.

The .270 and 6.5 will fly a bit flatter, but not by a great deal. A couple of inches difference at 300m isn't a gamechanger one way or the other. The sectional density is roughly the same give or take. They all burn pretty much the same percentage of the powder charge (mid to high 90s).

The only tangible variables that makes the .308 Win the more logical choice in my mind are (a) less muzzle blast and (b) bigger diameter hole. But at the end of the day, it's what you do the moment you pull the trigger that's really gonna make a difference.

So in many ways your question will succeed in one aspect - making a whole bunch of guys around the world spin their wheels arguing over bugger all difference. But it will fail to deliver a definitive answer.

My answer is: If you already have a .270 and all the associated gear, then stick with it. Add some illogic to the equation ("I want a [....] for no real reason other than just wanting one"), then get it and be happy. You certainly won't go wrong with a .308 Win - it's the most proven short barreled medium to large game hunting rifle ever, period.

(I shoot a shed load of red deer every year with a 18" .308 Winchester and couldn't be happier. I'd never own a .270 Winchester even if Ryan gave me one for Christmas, but that's just me.)
    Tahr, veitnamcam, 57jl and 8 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Akj
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @Akj

The fellas on this site, and at least one of the sites you’ve posted the same question on, are mostly telling you to do the same thing.

Use a .308 Win.

However...

If you model 6.5 PRC vs .270 Win vs .308 Win, which I recommend you do, you'll see that in reality there's 2/10ths of bugger all between them with a 18" barrel.

At all ranges, you're looking at a terminal energy delta of ~5% more or less, depending on bullet and how fast you're prepared to push it.

The .270 and 6.5 will fly a bit flatter, but not by a great deal. A couple of inches difference at 300m isn't a gamechanger one way or the other. The sectional density is roughly the same give or take. They all burn pretty much the same percentage of the powder charge (mid to high 90s).

The only tangible variables that makes the .308 Win the more logical choice in my mind are (a) less muzzle blast and (b) bigger diameter hole. But at the end of the day, it's what you do the moment you pull the trigger that's really gonna make a difference.

So in many ways your question will succeed in one aspect - making a whole bunch of guys around the world spin their wheels arguing over bugger all difference. But it will fail to deliver a definitive answer.

My answer is: If you already have a .270 and all the associated gear, then stick with it. Add some illogic to the equation ("I want a [....] for no real reason other than just wanting one"), then get it and be happy. You certainly won't go wrong with a .308 Win - it's the most proven short barreled medium to large game hunting rifle ever, period.

(I shoot a shed load of red deer every year with a 18" .308 Winchester and couldn't be happier. I'd never own a .270 Winchester even if Ryan gave me one for Christmas, but that's just me.)
    I think what made me look past the 308 is that most bullets are heavier than what is typically found in 270 or 6.5prc. I wanted to try to keep it relatively flat shooting even with the reduced velocity. I’ve have no problem killing moose and smaller with 150gr bullets. Gaining the speed back from a shorter barrel with 130-140gr bullets was my thought. The other aspect is the increased affect of wind drift in the light .30 cal bullets. However at the ranges I’ll actually be shooting I’m probably overthinking it. Maybe I need to give 308 a second look…

I will add you should consult your suppressor manufacturer as well for their input, they aren't a dime a dozen or available overnight in your location, unlike here

Short barrels & bigger cartridges aren't a match made in heaven

I have an 18 inch PRC its shooting factory 143s shade over 2750.very accurate.

In Theory the 6.5 prc will lose the most from shortening as it is the most overbore.
    Pushing 60 odd grains of powder down a 6.5 mm bore vs a 7mm one.

However there is great projectile choice in 6.5mm designed for the lower velocity creedmore and grendle chamberings.

Or just get a 308.
    Shearer and Moa Hunter like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    I have an 18 inch PRC its shooting factory 143s shade over 2750.very accurate.
    And very slow that slower than a .260 or Creedmoor which are both better options for shorter barrels.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    superdiver likes this.

I have a .270 and it kills things. Ruger ultralight 20" with DPT overbarrel suppressor. It always worked fine at 20" before I put the suppressor on and I'm sure cutting a couple of inches off and adding the suppressor length wouldn't change it too much from the original speeds. I understand the suppressor is different to barrel length but it must make bullet faster than not having the suppressor on at all.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.