Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Shot placement on deer with ballistic tips??

.243 addict
    Hahaha, stop you rolling outa bed to.
    Gibo likes this.

Cheers guys.

Calibres are 270 and 7-08.

Is the Hilar zone lungs/heart?

I shoot everything Hilar zone and I can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I put two bullets in an animal
    chainsaw likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I shoot everything Hilar zone and I can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I put two bullets in an animal
    That's because you only shoot chamois!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    That's because you only shoot chamois!
    Haha have shot a few deer within recent memory and a few decent bull tahr also which I would rate as being at least as tough as any big red, some of them pretty far out there too, good old 270 eh none of this shit you see on youtube of guys with there t3 rem mags pumping bullets into animals
    6mm ackley and Dorkus like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

used poohseventy for years and shot more than a few deer with 130grn ballistic tips...... where to aim on shoulder??? forwards rather than to rear...aim to break one or better still both shoulders...you cant drive very far if someone has taken ya front wheels out...of all the many deer Ive shot with the mighty poohseventy over the years,the ones that went down fastest were shot there....
    Sideshow likes this.

I thought with a 270 you were supposed to eject the round into your hand and throw it at the deer?
    Rocco likes this.

Look at Nathan fosters site he recommends the sst Bullets and shows how you can make them a bit less explosive by heating them,not loaded ammo obviously but the projectile.ive used the 150g sst in .308 on Sika and it jellies a lot of meat at bush hunting ranges that’s for sure,deer never go far tho.

People like Nathan Foster are (in my mind) a product of the modern age of trinkets, diverse products and choice. If you had told the Forrest Service cullers and latter meat hunters this stuff we would have laughed you out the door. The difference I think is that pragmatic people using ordinary tools rely on the norm, where as the modern day expert relies on the exception and the extraordinary.

I think the nice balance is to acknowledge that shit happens from time to time and mitigate it when you can, but don't let it consume you.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Look at Nathan fosters site he recommends the sst Bullets and shows how you can make them a bit less explosive by heating them,not loaded ammo obviously but the projectile.ive used the 150g sst in .308 on Sika and it jellies a lot of meat at bush hunting ranges that’s for sure,deer never go far tho.
    Annealing brass is almost a requirement for handloaders in some regards.

Annealing projectiles is another level of desperate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Tahr and Mathias like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Annealing brass is almost a requirement for handloaders in some regards.

Annealing projectiles is another level of desperate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Especially when the tips melt at long range anyway

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    R93 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I thought with a 270 you were supposed to eject the round into your hand and throw it at the deer?
    Yep heard way too many stories from very experienced hunters losing the big old once in a lifetime red in the roar, one of which was a 14 pointer they shot,sat on it, counted the points then leapt up, another 2 shots, blood everywhere and never to be found. Had 2 mates last roar lose a stag each with well placed shots, same thing, blood everywhere but not found(.270 sold after that). only heard of it happening on huge reds though, great cal for everything else but just wouldn't use it in the roar on big stags.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Yep heard way too many stories from very experienced hunters losing the big old once in a lifetime red in the roar, one of which was a 14 pointer they shot,sat on it, counted the points then leapt up, another 2 shots, blood everywhere and never to be found. Had 2 mates last roar lose a stag each with well placed shots, same thing, blood everywhere but not found(.270 sold after that). only heard of it happening on huge reds though, great cal for everything else but just wouldn't use it in the roar on big stags.
    Obviously they weren’t well placed shots, bit hard to tell if you can’t find it.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

have had a great run with BT's but also some disasters, they are more frangible (thats a flashy word for break up easily) so prefer to go for the crease behind the front leg rather than the bone. I have seen 2 shots from a .308 BT into the shoulder of a big red spiker that could be described as flesh wounds only, about 100m distance. I've been told the .30 BT bullet was more frangible than other versions but anyway I shot it in the same place with an Accubond and the poor thing finally went down. Since them I've aimed for the softer spots with BTs and they work great on ribs, necks etc. Add a bit of distance and a more frangible bullet comes into its own with less speed they still open up.
    veitnamcam and A330driver like this.