Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Sika Show

Instagram was full of photos of the show yesterday, it looked really good . Luxon was in one of them with the president of the Upper Hutt deerstalkers.
    Pack out heavy

I haven’t been to a Sika show for years (last time was probably circa 2010) when they used to be in Taupō. I shot down to Mystery Creek yesterday for a couple of hours. There was a few stands I expected to see and a few things I think they could do to spice it up a bit but all in all I thought for the $25 paid for entry that it was pretty reasonable. Good options for food to eat. Plenty of unnecessary items to buy if you have the money

It’s a Sika show not the field days, you can hardly expect to be walking around for 6 hours. And at the risk of sounding like a labour supporter does drinking grog (there was a couple of stands selling spirits) at a gun and hunting show really look great?
    199p, 7mmwsm and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew46826 View Post
    I haven’t been to a Sika show for years (last time was probably circa 2010) when they used to be in Taupō. I shot down to Mystery Creek yesterday for a couple of hours. There was a few stands I expected to see and a few things I think they could do to spice it up a bit but all in all I thought for the $25 paid for entry that it was pretty reasonable. Good options for food to eat. Plenty of unnecessary items to buy if you have the money

It’s a Sika show not the field days, you can hardly expect to be walking around for 6 hours. And at the risk of sounding like a labour supporter does drinking grog (there was a couple of stands selling spirits) at a gun and hunting show really look great?
    True. If you really need a drink go to the pub afterwards, and if you can't wait that long perhaps you need help.
    gimp, Tahr, kiwijames and 9 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Its quite funny how everything has to revolve around drinking for some people. How do you get on spending a week in the bush...
    madmaori, hotsoup and paremata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Its quite funny how everything has to revolve around drinking for some people. How do you get on spending a week in the bush...
    ...For some, that;s what the second helicopter flight brings in
    Carbine, Maca49 and 57jl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Having seen plenty of parties trying to loose weight on the scales prior to flying in, and what gets discarded instead of the boxes and boxes of bevvies, you’d have to wonder what they’re there for……

B
    Shearer, hotsoup and blip like this.

Can't remember dates of the previous Show I went to, but it was Taupo, pre Covid.
    I enjoyed my renewed acquanitance with the Sika Show yesterday. A heap of people there in the morning, fewer from early afternoon. Made checking out the stands much easier. Picked up a few useful things without spending too much. Always pay close attention to things reloading related and was alittle disappointed that offerings were not as numerous as I remember but thanks to those who did display wares for sale. Sadly I didn't find anything amongst those I wanted to buy.
    Found a reasonably priced headlamp for my wife - Brownie points bonus
    Saw a cool dayglo orange cover for a Leica Rangefinder. But $100 - ouch !, and not this time thankyou.
    Caught up with some old friends not seen in a while - always good.
    Gave a few dollars of support to two worthy organisations - NZDA and Sika Foundation, both dear to my heart.
    The Act bus with a few pollies was there so took the opportunity to thank Nicole McKee for all her great work on behalf of our firearms community.
    A great pleasure was meeting a H&S member, @7mmwsm with whom I have been corresponding for a while.
    After leaving the Show I rounded off the day attending the annual SCI NZ Chapter dinner at Sky City. Hadn't attended one of those in some time either. Great catching up with some old contacts and comparing grey hairs
    Overall I had a great day of immersion in our Kiwi hunting culture. Hope to get there next year
    Last edited by 30.06king; 29-10-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    True. If you really need a drink go to the pub afterwards, and if you can't wait that long perhaps you need help.
    It’s not easy to get to a pub from mystery creek, if one of you are going north and the other south, a bar to have a quick beer and a relaxing catch up would be good. At Taupo you could wander across the road for lunch and a beer.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew46826 View Post
    And at the risk of sounding like a labour supporter does drinking grog (there was a couple of stands selling spirits) at a gun and hunting show really look great?
    I’d say you sound more like a Green supporter, no one is forcing anyone to go and have a drink. If someone wants to it’s entirely up to them.
    BRADS, Maca49, blake and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    I’d say you sound more like a Green supporter, no one is forcing anyone to go and have a drink. If someone wants to it’s entirely up to them.
    Thought that comment might get a bite. Took longer than I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    It’s not easy to get to a pub from mystery creek, if one of you are going north and the other south, a bar to have a quick beer and a relaxing catch up would be good. At Taupo you could wander across the road for lunch and a beer.
    The very first couple of Sika Shows were held at a pub (the Spa Hotel) so no problem there.
    hunt08 and caberslash like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

awesome show my boy enjoyed it i did to spent some caught up with some mates
    Micky Duck and hotsoup like this.

Way better with more area to have stalls more spread out. I was involved with measuring heads yesterday & had a quick look after. Came back today with grandson as promised. Didn't buy much as I'm at an age where I have all I need, but good to look anyway & bumped into a few mates. My skin wasn't cracking so I didn't need a drink,
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Yep Steeve wholesale presence was pretty good. Better organised than last year for sure.although by 3 pm the bulk of the visitors had gone.
    Speaking of....what did he have left and was he selling at retail or wholesale or somewhere in between?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Anyone know the score of the winning Sika head?