Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Sika stag down

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Not trying to take away from your success at all mate, it’s an awesome stag but I think if you have a read in the link below you will find a couple things that your sika gurus haven’t considered and a few others here have seen. I personally find it interesting trying to identify the little traits and build my knowledge on it. Should look mint when Jason is finished with it, good stuff.

https://www.nzdahastings.org.nz/wp-c...uide-Notes.pdf
    If it was me I would get the skull back from the taxidermist and give it to someone with the credentials to evaluate it on the withey system. Then at least he will know for certain. There is definitely some strong red genetics in it just by looking at the antler formation, but without seeing the skull it's anyone's guess. Nice animal nonetheless. Good on you for bringing it up stagstalker, not an easy thing to do.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
    kukuwai and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Not trying to take away from your success at all mate, it’s an awesome stag but I think if you have a read in the link below you will find a couple things that your sika gurus haven’t considered and a few others here have seen. I personally find it interesting trying to identify the little traits and build my knowledge on it. Should look mint when Jason is finished with it, good stuff.

https://www.nzdahastings.org.nz/wp-c...uide-Notes.pdf
    roger that, jase sending me a pic today of bleached head.
    erniec and kukuwai like this.

Name:  Screenshot_20230621_190358_Messenger.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  501.7 KB
    Micky Duck and Sika 8 like this.

Need to see the skull upclose. Lovely stag either way
    7mmwsm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Need to see the skull upclose. Lovely stag either way
    Back of the skull between pedicle and neck.
    Overkill is still dead.

MY personal opinion is unless you are entering head in a national competition where genetics are important. Dont do it. Its a nice Sika and can remain a nice Sika regardless of what one else says. Its not record breaking as far as the books go and so who cares in reality if there is some red in there. Id happily mount that as a sika if I shot it and why wouldn't you.

An example. Some years back I did a solo hunt with my bow for Tahr. I ended up shooting a 14 year old bull that would not have survived another year going off of his condition in summer and his teeth. It was a bloody awesome feat and Im proud of it. It will measure somewhere near 12 inches but I have never measured it. Why? because its just as likely to go 11.75 as it is 12 or 12.25. Im happy with it being about 12 and 14 years old despite others wanting to know exactly what scores.

If any of that makes sense.
    Trout, BRADS, shift14 and 9 others like this.

looking at photos..and that scoring chart above...there is a gap between brow tines and coronets..coronets are rounded...the skull LOOKS to be shorter than your suppressor ...suppressors arent much more than 13 1/2" thats three ticks.... the skull joins being T or Y is the missing bit of puzzle but agree 100% with whanahuia
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    looking at photos..and that scoring chart above...there is a gap between brow tines and coronets..coronets are rounded...the skull LOOKS to be shorter than your suppressor ...suppressors arent much more than 13 1/2" thats three ticks.... the skull joins being T or Y is the missing bit of puzzle but agree 100% with whanahuia
    It beats my shouldered mount sika, by a long shot. So either way I'm happy and am getting it shoulder mounted!!

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    MY personal opinion is unless you are entering head in a national competition where genetics are important. Dont do it. Its a nice Sika and can remain a nice Sika regardless of what one else says. Its not record breaking as far as the books go and so who cares in reality if there is some red in there. Id happily mount that as a sika if I shot it and why wouldn't you.

An example. Some years back I did a solo hunt with my bow for Tahr. I ended up shooting a 14 year old bull that would not have survived another year going off of his condition in summer and his teeth. It was a bloody awesome feat and Im proud of it. It will measure somewhere near 12 inches but I have never measured it. Why? because its just as likely to go 11.75 as it is 12 or 12.25. Im happy with it being about 12 and 14 years old despite others wanting to know exactly what scores.

If any of that makes sense.
    If it were mine I'd want to know it's pedigree. Just for my own satisfaction.
    Nick.m, brad, superdiver and 1 others like this.
    Overkill is still dead.