Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: South Island Trail Cameras

South Island Trail Cameras

Wondering what people have done for setting trail cameras in the south island. I have 2 cameras I'd like to put out and was wondering what people have done location wise.

I primarily hunts above the bush line etc and would prefer target these types of places if it's possible what have people done. Was thinking ridge lines and potentially in the scrub band would be a good start but figured is pick some peoples brains.

Anyone used stakes etc for the places without trees.

Cheers

I have been using trail cams for a number of years now (about 2012) in the alps. Ridges are good where game trails past along. Best to position facing southward where possible to avoid the sun rising and setting which glares out the footage but sometimes the terrain just doesn't work out for location. I usually find a tree handy for the supplied strap but have used tree spikes screwed into the trunk. But sometimes it can be hard to find the right tree in the right spot. Over the years i have also found possums a bloody nuisance - they like to gnaw the plastic corners of the camera and even climb all over it, sometimes dislodging it. I feel this is due to the camera internals putting out some signal that they pick up which they find curious? Sometimes i place rat poison on the ground below the camera which has worked at times but not reliable i feel. No it's not rats but for possums. I find the camera strap more reliable than an after market tree spike. Over the years i have had Twinneedle in Chch make me extra straps as UV will eventually weaken the straps but overall they stand up very well - rain or shine. I sometimes set my trail cams in pairs, slightly opposite each other to cover any deer trail where i think they will come from. I use Acorns and the Browning brand cameras. From six cams - one Acorn has finally crapped out (water) which was my first one brought 2012 so had a good run from it. A second one has played up every now and then but again had a few good years with pics from it. I do liking the Brownings but the Acorn has been one of the few that takes pics then video in one setting. My Browning has to be set to one or the other though the top of the range i think does both?
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    I have been using trail cams for a number of years now (about 2012) in the alps. Ridges are good where game trails past along. Best to position facing southward where possible to avoid the sun rising and setting which glares out the footage but sometimes the terrain just doesn't work out for location. I usually find a tree handy for the supplied strap but have used tree spikes screwed into the trunk. But sometimes it can be hard to find the right tree in the right spot. Over the years i have also found possums a bloody nuisance - they like to gnaw the plastic corners of the camera and even climb all over it, sometimes dislodging it. I feel this is due to the camera internals putting out some signal that they pick up which they find curious? Sometimes i place rat poison on the ground below the camera which has worked at times but not reliable i feel. No it's not rats but for possums. I find the camera strap more reliable than an after market tree spike. Over the years i have had Twinneedle in Chch make me extra straps as UV will eventually weaken the straps but overall they stand up very well - rain or shine. I sometimes set my trail cams in pairs, slightly opposite each other to cover any deer trail where i think they will come from. I use Acorns and the Browning brand cameras. From six cams - one Acorn has finally crapped out (water) which was my first one brought 2012 so had a good run from it. A second one has played up every now and then but again had a few good years with pics from it. I do liking the Brownings but the Acorn has been one of the few that takes pics then video in one setting. My Browning has to be set to one or the other though the top of the range i think does both?
    Thanks awesome response cheers.

Make sure that there are no leaves or grass etc that will blow and trip cam off. One can end up with 100's of pics of the same piece of flax etc.
    Micky Duck and Stocky like this.

I have one, I set it up pointing at my fuel tanks
    Micky Duck, Stocky, Phil_H and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I have one, I set it up pointing at my fuel tanks
    Thanks I'll remember this when I eventually come visit ��
    Moa Hunter likes this.

And Ghost has a good point about grass etc setting off the trail cam which will piss you off when going through your pics! In a beech forest, i snap off the small dead branches that sway in the breeze in view of the cam lens - from a few metres out. If looking at a clearing - within the forest, usually not a problem, grass is usually short from browsing etc. On a river clearing, you might just have to put up with some bush swaying in the wind or long grass. One funny thing that happens from time to time - had a bloody spider sit on the cam lens. Had 3 days of heaps of pics as he slowly moved across the lens then buggered off. I have been leaving my trail cams in the hills up to 6 months but usually around 3 months as always keen to see what's on the SD card. I have has chamois, pigs and red deer plus rodents of course.Name:  IMG_0123.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  1.06 MBName:  8 pt stag2.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  1.08 MBName:  10pt_stag5.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  1.00 MB
    NRT, Trout, Micky Duck and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    And Ghost has a good point about grass etc setting off the trail cam which will piss you off when going through your pics! In a beech forest, i snap off the small dead branches that sway in the breeze in view of the cam lens - from a few metres out. If looking at a clearing - within the forest, usually not a problem, grass is usually short from browsing etc. On a river clearing, you might just have to put up with some bush swaying in the wind or long grass. One funny thing that happens from time to time - had a bloody spider sit on the cam lens. Had 3 days of heaps of pics as he slowly moved across the lens then buggered off. I have been leaving my trail cams in the hills up to 6 months but usually around 3 months as always keen to see what's on the SD card. I have has chamois, pigs and red deer plus rodents of course.Attachment 177611Attachment 177612Attachment 177613
    Sweet mate had any issue with missing cameras and what do you use for batteries?

HOO
    I use a bike lock on mine as well as the strap. More out of paranoia than anything. I have a cheap moultrie cam and it has an extra hole which I use for the lock as well. It’s never been messed with though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    I use a bike lock on mine as well as the strap. More out of paranoia than anything. I have a cheap moultrie cam and it has an extra hole which I use for the lock as well. It’s never been messed with though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to here cousin up north has lost 2 of them and had the cards stolen a couple times.

I started out using a couple of lock boxes on my trail cams but was slower to detach and set up again in the hills. Having to carry keys etc. One cam might be okay but have a few more than one in the alps! So ditched it after a couple of years. Saying that had two hunters on video - both good fellas - waved and did the thingy then moved on . But when i checked and saw them on the SD card - never set the trail cams back up in the same spot! Had a mate in Canterbury get his flogged from public land - what a bunch of wankers that do that? Stealing we call it. Love to flog their camping gear from a tent if we knew the perp! Appears the issue of stolen trail cams is rife in the North Island especially the Central NI.
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Here’s a couple of em, father and son I’m picking

Attachment 177627

Attachment 177628
    Cousin has video of a guy getting to a wallow in the Kaimanawas and actively start looking for cameras. Think in areas of significance like this people actively look for them.

He had lost a camera not far away before.

Forgot to mention earlier - i have been using AA energizers, buying in packs of 20 from Mitre 10 or Bunnings. They seem to work well over the winter months and just keep on going..and going...
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I don’t know how you would pick that someone is actively looking for cameras, could have just been scanning the local area for a stag rather than a camera.
    I have video of the two hunters above, they were certainly looking around but that’s what most hunters would do coming across a wallow.
    Pretty easily to be honest you don't go round looking up in trees for deer especially in an area where he and a mate have lost multiple cameras even well hidden or mounted high up in trees. Has had the SD cards taken in the Kaimais. Cameras being messed with is pretty rampant up north just don't know many guys that run them down here hence the thread.

I find it hard enough finding a deer in the bush without worrying about spotting trail cams!

Some people need to get a life - and be more honest/legit where they hunt.
    Ronin007 likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’