Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: South Island Trail Cameras

Best idea I have heard when you find a trail camera, (and you have a camera) take the card out and take a photo of the trail camera then put the card back in and walk away..... bit of a head scratcher

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    High up in a tree? Is he trying to film the local bird life?

Seriously if he keeps getting cameras stolen he needs to put a bit more thought or effort into where he places them. The little camouflage cameras they have these days are actually pretty hard to spot even if you know there is one there.
    I’ve used them for years and never had one stolen or messed with. My ones are only about $80 off Allie express so it’s no biggie if one does get nicked.
    Its really not hard to angle a camera down most come with a tree spike. All of the ones we use on our home farm are up high so people cant get to them if they do find them.

Regardless I shouldn't just be sitting here defending where my cousins placed cameras as it shouldn't matter as if its not yours dont touch it. Im glad you haven't had your touched but plenty do get messed with up north. Its posted about fairly regularly on a few pages. He sees other hunters that are unaware all it takes is one or two difficult parties in an area you hunt and you will have issues if you are setting up at prime points. I've seen 3 or 4 cameras around a few wallows in North Canterbury especially ones on or near notable ridgelines that make good tops access Beech Forest is pretty open. Maybe it would help for him to not to place them near wallows but thats exactly where you do want them if your trying to scope out the local stag population.

As for camo cams I dont really know what he uses model wise except that some are from Ali and his first ones where Moultrie's but after having one taken he just brought cheaper cameras. If we want to be productive instead of criticizing my cousins camera placement how about explaining how you hide your cameras a phot would be mint.

I have access to a heap of trail cams. I need to just gett off my arse and place a few of them. I have my eye on a decent stag I saw last roar, might have to head back there this summer, put up a cam or two and see if he's still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I have access to a heap of trail cams. I need to just gett off my arse and place a few of them. I have my eye on a decent stag I saw last roar, might have to head back there this summer, put up a cam or two and see if he's still around.
    Let us know how it goes
    Strummer likes this.

It sounds like your cousin is putting them in a pretty popular area frequented by lowlife assholes, maybe he needs to try a different area. Totally agree you should be able to put your camera anywhere and it should be safe but unfortunately there are a few f*ck wits out there.
    The guys in the photos by the wallow are the only other hunters I’ve seen on that camera and I’ve been putting it there for about 6 years. It’s a long way from any tracks though, was quite surprised to seem them on the camera.

I just spend a bit of time putting some natural camouflage around the camera and also try and hide the camera strap/ belt what ever you call it! It’s not natural and stands out like dogs balls, the cameras themselves blend it pretty well. Moss works well to cover the strap.

Maybe he could try them more towards the ground. My mate gave me 2 gps coordinates for his cameras to bring out for him. It took me ages to find the second one as it was on the base of a punga looking down on a sloping deer trail, I just about gave up as I was looking at about eye level. Just a fluke I spotted it.

I’m pretty stoked with those cheap cameras from Aliexpress, so far they’ve been bloody good, I’m just about to order 2 more.
    Yes I think he was yes but that's were he's hunted and could get to. Talked yesterday and hasn't had issues since. The missing cameras and issues primarily happened of Clements Mill Road so very popular area. He reckons he's saw atleast a 100 people over his 4 cams over 2 years. Hes now pulled them out as he lost a 3rd cam. The Kaimais he's only seen one person on the cams but had the SD card taken. Apparently since moving the cams to somewhere else in the Kaimanawas he's not had issues.

He only lifted them as I he figured if they are above eye level they wouldn't be seen. And if they did see them he put them up by nailing a plank to the tree so he could claim up to about 3m.

One suggestion he's given me that he changed this last year is he got rid of the strap and replaced. It with some Camo paracord he reckons its way more discreet than a 1 inch wide strap around trees.

Out of interest which model aliexpress camera did you have. Hear mixed reviews on different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    would like to buy some trail cams. is there enough interest for others to try a group purchase to see if we can get a good price. probably want 6 or 8 myself . after the no glow ones and preferably camo ones for better hiding them.
    I'm interested I've got 2 Old moultries a mate brought but never used to get me started.

Correction it’s a HC-801A just ordered 2 more $152 inc shipping. Good little cameras
    Sweet mate they look pretty good.