Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Spot lighting deer

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I went spotlighting for Sambar for the first time a couple of months ago and thought it would be really easy to get some venison.
    The area we have access on is heavily spotlighted and we saw a few sets of eyes that quickly disappeared. It took five unproductive nights before we had learnt enough and adapted our technique to have some success. We had an early night, got up at 1am, walked around areas that we had seen sign in the daylight, didn't wave the spotlight round trying to see if there were deer 500m away and at 4:45am we shot 2, then went to milking.

Before I tried it I would have said that spotlighting wasn't hunting. But for me it is.

I think the issue seems to be the shooting of 'easy deer' not being considered hunting, not wheather it was night or day.
    Well done Rich - was that where we were planning a mission?

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Well done Rich - was that where we were planning a mission?
    Na, but we really must get you (and Raging Bull) after a Pheasant before I get busy. When do you fly out???
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    Na, but we really must get you (and Raging Bull) after a Pheasant before I get busy. When do you fly out???
    August 6th.

We are both off into the Ruahines this weekend - but anytime after that I'm free... Raging Bull probably has work commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Thats just bollocks..

You are quite entitled to attach more value to one form of hunting over another, but don't start redefining the english language to sort your personal standards..

Hunting is the looking for and the pursuit of game animals... got nothing to do with the methodology employed..

You can do that without a gun, with, with a bow, with a camera, with a spotlight in a truck or not...

You could say that spotlighting is not ethical hunting in your opinion, or is lazy hunting, or it might be illegal hunting - but its still hunting..

Does the English language "define" spotlighting as hunting? If so I will retract my statement. I never said its not ethical. Im not taking any moral high ground here.I have shot many many deer in the lamp and still do shoot the odd one, And although its fun and puts meat in the freezer to me its not hunting
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana The Flats View Post
    I remember years ago being pulled over down paringa by the haast cop. he told us to wait for half hour because he was spotlighting the road first.
    hahaha.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Lets just say for a min that spotlighting is frowned apon, and daytime is thumbs up- where would night visiosn fit into the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Reminds me, You and I must be over due to run the electric dog over a few clearings? Been a while
    Agreed. Is it worth waiting for things to warm up?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Lets just say for a min that spotlighting is frowned apon, and daytime is thumbs up- where would night visiosn fit into the equation?
    If I was to voice my opinion I might be "redefining the English language"
    sneeze and R93 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    The reason it is illegal on public land, as far as I know, is because it's harder to identify your target and know what is beyond it. But decent night vision gear allows you to do that, so it is a really good point.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    IIRC the Woodhill Fallow ballot says - No NV gear allowed (along with spots etc)

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Does the English language "define" spotlighting as hunting? If so I will retract my statement. I never said its not ethical. Im not taking any moral high ground here.I have shot many many deer in the lamp and still do shoot the odd one, And although its fun and puts meat in the freezer to me its not hunting
    Yes it does... every time you turn a spotlight on you are looking for something... everytime you move while looking for something you are in pursuit of it..

So tell me how can you use a spotlight without hunting?

Rich007 Lit plenty of Sambar, once they've seen a few lights they get pretty smart - more cunning than most light shy deer. Had one duck the light in long grass on Timmay and I one night!

Timmay whenever bro, I'm always keen PM on its way

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Yes it does... every time you turn a spotlight on you are looking for something... everytime you move while looking for something you are in pursuit of it..

So tell me how can you use a spotlight without hunting?
    Well if thats oxfords definition then I apolagize profusely for not reading a dictionary.