Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 4 Post By Gibo

Thread: Stag with no antlers??

Stag with no antlers??

Went for a hunt today in a handy block of native havnt been in before. Had no idea if the bush was huntable or what may be in there. Soon found out it was good stalking bush, and soon came across some fresh marks of a couple of animals, including what looked like a stag.
    No roaring or noise was going on and after i ran into some very thick bush i decided to head back the way ive come. It was more of a scouting trip, it was ok, but didnt expect to come back too soon so thought if i do see something i shoot it.
    When heading back the way i came i heard a noise down below me that sounded like a animal coming. I got ready and was watching when 50 yards away a very big hind burst out of the bush and was heading straight for me.
    Straight up its arse was a reasonable yearling in tow and slightly further back another animal was coming. No doubt with a wind change the deer had smelt me , but as i back tracked they were making there way out straight into my path.
    I could of shot the first hind, the yearling was what i wanted when i saw that but then it came to me that the next animal is prob the stag so i waited The hind and yearling went left and sped up and the "stag"appeared.
    I first thought it was a younger stag, but a stag none the least as it was reasonable large, i say a 80kg animal. Instead of just shooting it i waited to see its antlers as it was heading right for me i thought had plenty of time. Well, it didnt have any antlers at all! It still looked like a stag to me, but no antlers. I was so surprised the second or two delay it went left and took off.
    I had a good view and it certainly didnt have antlers but didnt really look like a hind. In all the confusen i didnt maage to fire a shot
    It must of been a massive hind, i dont see that many real big hinds around in the local DOC blocks and this was the size of a average stag. No doubt the mark i still earlier was that.
    I have heard if a fawn gets damage to its Royal jewels they can not ever grow antlers sometimes, not sure if this was the case here but it sure looked every park a stag apart fronm its head gear

R93
    Hummel. Generally had damage to their nutsack so don't grow antlers.
    (Or so I have been told)

They mature ones are generally pretty huge as well.
    I seen one in the Arawhata a couple years ago. Thought it was a horse it was that big. Still managed to hold 8 hinds as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Hummel? I understand they are stags that suffer malnutrition in the first year and their pedicles don't develop properly for future antler growth.
    Never seen one myself but have heard of them.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    (Or so I have been told)

I seen one in the Arawhata a couple years ago. Thought it was a horse it was that big.

Snap
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    (Or so I have been told)

I seen one in the Arawhata a couple years ago. Thought it was a horse it was that big. Still managed to hold 8 hinds as well.

Cheers, ,the more i think about it the more it i sure it was a stag with no headgear. Not a big animal for a stag(hind yes) but its whole head, neck and size just didnt look like a hind. The first hind was a big hind for around here so thought it was strange seeing a bigger animal coming but no headgear. Pity, really wanted to shoot a deer with the 308 since put new stock on, oh well, cant win them all

hummel or hermofridite (yeah my spelling sucks) uncle shot one years back that had no antlers a big thick stagy mane, tail,bum,fanny,one nut then a pizzle
    seen it in sheep where they have a fanny in centre of guts where pizzle should be and also a cow that would roar like a bull and rode all the other cows...she could have been transgender but think she had a nut tucked up somewhere.

Saw one in the ruahines several years ago, watched it and two hinds for quite awhile as they grazed a slip. It was a very big boy but too far away for me to take a shot

Pointer and I saw one holding a hind last roar. We just looked at it dumbfounded for a while thinking fuck thats a huge hind. And basically told them to piss off. In hindsight it should have been removed from the gene pool.
    Pointer, Pengy and deer243 like this.

I got this munter a couple of years ago.
    Couldn't see the antler buds when I shot it at 300m but certainly knew it was a stag by body size and shape alone.
    He had the full package between his legs so not a hummel and might have just been a hopeless spiker ... mercy killing !

Name:  P1010070.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  209.2 KB

It was during the roar and he had been wallowing.
    Pengy and deer243 like this.

Gibo there's a bottle of the good stuff on that Hummels head at that spot. I'd like to see him gone as he had hinds with him. Would be the first I have ever seen ever. Mind you he was that white in the face I wouldn't be surprised if he has died of old age!
    Gibo likes this.

Shot a Hummel a couple years back and have shot a couple others as well, about 4 years ago myself and JoshC and another were in a back block and watched a hummel round up 3 hinds from an 8 pointer. Thought that 8 would of dealt to him but there was that many hinds in the area i think he thought they werent worth the hassle.

Pretty common down here as Mal says.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I knew it was common for human oddities down there, but wasnt aware of the same genetic defficiencies in the local deer
    Pointer, kiwijames, Pengy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Southland inbreeding say no more "Where Mum is Dad's Cousin"

Sure its not a hind
    #BallisticFists