Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Arsenal

User Tag List

Like Tree2156Likes

Thread: STAGS SHOT 2021

Now that's a wallow

My effort for the roar, 11pointer from the MolesworthName:  received_2916606625251637.jpeg
Views: 885
Size:  693.6 KB

Wicked boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Closest thing this resembles a stag is that it starts with Ďsí n is male. transient spiker, most probably from a block of pines thatís currently being clear felled. Was hanging around (other side of fence) a mob of hinds. Was a little pissed up. Shot with the mighty .223....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nathan F, Tahr, Trout and 15 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Some ripper stags on here!

The weekend just gone was good in southland, on Saturday I heard well over 30 stags and snuck into 7 or so mostly just young ones roaring at nothing. First stag came flying in and though he'd snapped his antler off but snuck into one of his cousins later on and decided he need to go as he was identical, didn't realise the deer were inbred down here too hahaha

Stoked with my pig dog as she found her first ever deer saving me hours of searching in the crownfern, I'll take my dog with tracking gear everytime now! She hasn't had any deer training yet either just not to chase them

Took a mate out on Sunday afternoon and got close into 4 stags but they were giving is he run about moving off or shutting up at the last minute, so frustrating as I saw my mate close the gap and got within 50m but all of a sudden other stags sparked up everywhere and made him move off!

Only hunted 4 days this roar and it's been the best I've ever had surprisingly.

Attachment 165148
    Attachment 165149
    Attachment 165150
    Attachment 165151

How bad have the carparks been for everyone? I heard there was 17 trucks up at kiwiburn!! You've got to wonder why the hell you'd risk hunting with that many people around.

17 cars is a South Island crowd.. theres road ends in the Kawekas

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Attachment 165073

One from my first trip of this roar, went down to some old areas in Southland I used to hunt as a student. Roaring was pretty light as we were a bit early. This guy got up out of his bed a wee way away from me and started roaring and working a beat looking for hinds. I couldnít see him and the wind was swirling and threatening to cut infront of what I presumed to be the direction he was heading. I had to do a fair bit of running when he roared to get the wind out of his path. When I thought Iíd lost his trail the dog would pick it up and work it, and where there was wind scent the dog would move in that direction.
    2km later I came to quite a big creek. I thought it was all over rover but Finn led me to splash marks on the other side.
    As I stepped up out of the creek following the path the stag had travelled I spotted antlers waving so let out a wee moan and he stepped into a gap to look at me. As this happened the dog locked up and that was that really.

Probably one of the best bits of work the dog has ever done and one of the older stags I have taken. A nice 11 with a snag that doesnt quite convert to a point to make 12 points.
    Absolutely rapt.
    Now that is a hunt and a great result too. Well done. You don't get that sort of hunt at 500 yards
    Moa Hunter and Ned like this.

17 cars is a South Island crowd.. theres road ends in the Kawekas that have that pretty regularly year round. But 17 for the kiwiburn seems like a hell of a lot.

Another tonight from central otago Name:  IMG_20210414_174036.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  5.77 MBName:  IMG_20210414_170749.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  6.50 MB

Nice Buck you have there @Padox
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    17 cars is a South Island crowd.. theres road ends in the Kawekas that have that pretty regularly year round. But 17 for the kiwiburn seems like a hell of a lot.
    Yeah a lot of pressure up there aye, most cars I've seen was 25 in the ti iringa carpark. Yeah I was surprised when I heard that. No one in the carpark where I was in the weekend.

very impressive brow tines on that buck. Cool

Name:  F31EFC70-B35F-4CD7-B1CB-97181C15CD77.jpeg
Views: 516
Size:  330.6 KB

Another one from Southland from my second trip of the roar.. I passed up a few obviously young ones with potential before spotting this one holding a few hinds in some bluffs about 1km from my camp. He was easily a third bigger in body size than any other stag that was trying to steal his hinds.
    I watched him for two days through the binos and my Nikon P1000 before deciding to have a better look and eventually pulled the trigger once I’d gotten there..

I wanted an older master type stag and while I’m happy with my decision to take him, I’m not sure that I assessed his age properly and I’d like some opinions on his age?

Some background. He was living out in the tussock and scrub. The area where he was living was well chewed out, I’ve never seen deer damage like it.
    His body was in shit condition, he looked skinny through the guts but had a heavy front half of his body so I assumed he was older and had just been rutting for a while. He’d gone orange under the skin and looked like this had been going on for a while.. The pedicles while not super high on the skull weren’t overly big in diameter and timber wasn’t much to speak of.

Any guesses on age?
    Tahr, Trout, tikka and 11 others like this.

Name:  IMG_3015 2.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  4.03 MBlast chance roar hunt for me,he wasnt roaring but still following hinds around.
    Trout, Brian, JoshC and 18 others like this.

Nice tops on him. Well done

What a day to remember, lost for words really. Riley shot his first stag, an 8 point Sika in some very trying conditions, patience was key and it all payed off!!

Name:  20210418_094718.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  4.25 MB
    Nathan F, Tahr, NRT and 47 others like this.