Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: The state of pest populations in NZ

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Put $10 tax free on a Possum tail and watch the problem disappear.
    I've often had that thought too. The reality is though that a large portion of population who would benefit from a scheme like this would be too stoned, drunk, lazy to see it through. Why do the hard yards when the government can pay you money for doing nothing?

problem is access to areas. easy areas are already tied up or no one is allowed . harder to reach areas cost more to access so more fur or skins needed to be viable . the $10 a tail on top of the fur price would make harder country more viable but paying that for easy access areas would mean people fighting over them . better would be a flat rate for harder places and on top of fur with all the money being at a lower tax rate like 10% or 15% or tax free if earnings under $50k for year. rabbits for petfood is something i will look into in the coming winter plus i have another idea for rabbit and possum bodies to be explored. anyone knowing of areas for trapping possums i am interested also will be looking at rabbit control for next winter onwards.
    Phil_H likes this.

I personally dont think the easy areas would be the only ones targeted but I see your point.

Taking only tails reduces the logistics hugely.As well as all Possums getting some heat,from the Bush block to the lifestyle blocks.

I don't think DOC is really all about conservation any longer it's about self perpetuation.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post

Put $10 tax free on a Possum tail and watch the problem disappear.
    You wouldn't even need $10 a tail. I am sure that $1 or $2 a tail plus the fur you get would be a big enough incentive for a lot.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    You wouldn't even need $10 a tail. I am sure that $1 or $2 a tail plus the fur you get would be a big enough incentive for a lot.

Cheers
    Phil
    With pet food $10 a possum (body and fur value...in my area) is only pocket money at best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A possum bounty is a Waste of time.they are already worth good money. The problem pests are rats and stoats. They are far more difficult to control especially without aerially applied toxin. Biological control is probably the best way forward.

as for rats and mice i wouldnt mind trying a tip trap made from a 44 gal barrel as it could be setup in places and would only need checked emptied maybe once a week. maybe Doc should issue areas to trappers and part of it would be to check and reset stoat and rat traps in your zone for a set fee on top of the fur price and any other incentive payment.
    Woody likes this.