Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: The state of pest populations in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Brodifacoum is a cumulative poison and will be passed through the entire food chain right down to the birds and insects. Its half life in soil (and into water) is twenty years. Very nasty stuff. It is so bad that no aerial brodi can be used except on islands or fully pestproff fenced areas classed as "inland idlands".
    Coli' is also cumulative and debilitating. Kills dogs very slowly. Go to Google Scholar and look up the msds data on these poisons.
    Do you work for DOC? Because that thinking comes out of there stables and its not a total truth on it.
    But then that's one of my elbow on it.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

No way do I work for doc or any other poisonous outfit.
    As an example of the insidious nature of brodifacoum;
    You may recall a recent revelation of tuataras dying in a reserve managed by "conservationists", whom you might assume would know the dangers of brodifacoum. Well, these bods used brodifacoum to deal to other pests. The tuatara were dying. Oh dear; what could be causing it? Well, one of the bods happenned to stand on a bug and the squashed remains were the brodi dye ! Oh golly gosh ! Tuatara eat invertebrates ay ! Analysis showed the tuataras were being killed by secondary poisoning of brodifacoum.
    So, "kiwi hunter", pull your bl--dy head back into your ignorant skull.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Yup. Brodi is bad shit. Far worse than 1080

Here in the top of the south Kahurangi National Park deer numbers are now low enough Id call anyone a prick for shooting one, they have been poisoned and culled almost out of existence and it is only the private land and forestry bordering it that is reseeding it.
    Able Tasman National park is pretty much deer free where even 15 years ago it was quite common to see deer in the campgrounds at night with ya headlamp.
    Nelson Lakes National park has moderate deer numbers and a few chams about, but not in the "Kiwi" areas so much.
    Mt Richmond Forest park used to have very high numbers in areas we were not allowed to hunt because we may leave them in a waterway.....so recently they were shot to waste and left to rot at taxpayer expense, the rest of the park has reasonable numbers.

As @deer243 said best numbers are "fringe hunting" or a couple days walk.
    deer243 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

You may recall a recent revelation of tuataras dying in a reserve managed by "conservationists", whom you might assume would know the dangers of brodifacoum. Well, these bods used brodifacoum to deal to other pests. The tuatara were dying. Oh dear; what could be causing it? Well, one of the bods happenned to stand on a bug and the squashed remains were the brodi dye ! Oh golly gosh ! Tuatara eat invertebrates ay ! Analysis showed the tuataras were being killed by secondary poisoning of brodifacoum.
    So their management application wasn't to good ah.
    KH

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...tuatara-deaths
    Woody likes this.

Like almost all use of poisons in our country. Dangers are understated by the dominant users, sellers and applicators.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Like almost all use of poisons in our country. Dangers are understated by the dominant users, sellers and applicators.
    Yes Woody, I understand you don't like poisons and like the focus of chch, which turned on the guns instead where it should be on the one who pulled the trigger! That's where responsible should be the on the person.! Poisoning has a place, but application is everything, can't blame the poison , that's a shift of focus.
    I am not here saying I am right about poisoning, but l know it takes all types of application's to manage pest control.
    Dropping of 1080 isn't what I like to see either and I don't agree with it ! That's not controlled application either.
    When we take responsibility for our actions then we can be called to account.
    Finger pointing is usually out of focus.

KH
    Cordite and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    It’s actually 3 years, for all critters, as it’s an anti colagulant it builds up in the system
    That's MPI hunters guidelines.

3 years for commercial. Should have clarified

Gone but not forgotten
    Today I was told by someone who works at a rural business that farmers in the Pio Pio/Aria are saying rabbit and hare numbers have exploded recently, with some saying they have never seen so many.

Just been having a few Xmas beers with my boys. They reckon on one day out pig hunting on private land in the Wairarapa this year they saw over 200 deer. The biggest mob being about 50. Now I realise they are only 18 and prone to exaggeration but this is pretty common thread whenever they go out for a hunt. Two nights ago they saw 25 in a block of cutover pine forest. They shot one each but could have shot more. They are privileged in terms of the access they get but there are way too many deer. The landowners can’t keep the numbers down. One of them has admitted to this but for some reason is highly protective of them. The only way you can reduce numbers in these areas IMO is by thinning them out by chopper.
    Last edited by gilly; 25-12-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Just been having a few Xmas beers with my boys. They reckon on one day out pig hunting on private land in the Wairarapa this year they saw over 200 deer. The biggest mob being about 50. Now I realise they are only 18 and prone to exaggeration but this is pretty common thread whenever they go out for a hunt. Two nights ago they saw 25 in a block of cutover pine forest. They shot one each but could have shot more. They are privileged in terms of the access they get but there are way too many deer. The only way you can reduce numbers in these areas is by chopper shooting. There are too many.
    No it's by inviting you and me

Merry xmas fella

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Yeah mate we will keep working on the Gingas. One day us old fellas will get to the promised land!!! Merry Xmas.
    HNTMAD and Woody like this.

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Just been having a few Xmas beers with my boys. They reckon on one day out pig hunting on private land in the Wairarapa this year they saw over 200 deer. The biggest mob being about 50. Now I realise they are only 18 and prone to exaggeration but this is pretty common thread whenever they go out for a hunt. Two nights ago they saw 25 in a block of cutover pine forest. They shot one each but could have shot more. They are privileged in terms of the access they get but there are way too many deer. The landowners can’t keep the numbers down. One of them has admitted to this but for some reason is highly protective of them. The only way you can reduce numbers in these areas IMO is by thinning them out by chopper.
    If they need any help....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Woody likes this.

@gilly
    Next door neighbour (fit, young and keen), has been out down around Ocean Beach and a few of the gullies running up into the Park there.
    Reckons next time, the 270 will got some exercise, as he too has seen quite a few mobs around that area.
    I need a quad bike and then I'll do my bit there with the 308.
    Unfortunately, the 6.5 x 55 ammo that you dropped off to me, never got used as other things cropped up and the rifle under consideration never got bought.
    So it's still available for a non-CM fanboy to use.