Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Stewart Island deer pose threat to critically endangered southern dotterel

wtd
    https://vimeo.com/62571465?ref=em-share

Whitetail deer have been known to eat bird eggs and there have been documented cases in USA of them eating birds as well. I am aware of one incident on Stewart Island where a fledgling muttonbird was found in a deer paunch some forty year ago.
    There are so many things wrong about the Southland Times report claiming deer pose a threat to dotterels. These birds nest on the open herb fields above the bushline on Tin Range. Mr Bull was certainly ‘fortunate’ to be able to observe a whitetail deer eating a fledgling. First to be in the nesting area and then to see a deer eating a bird.
    This footage has not ‘just surfaced’ it has been on the internet for six years and was filmed in 2013. DoC have had cameras on nesting sites since that time and no other footage of deer predation has been found. In recent years DOC have been shooting whitetail found in the nesting area. It would be interesting to know how many deer they have shot there. DOC have been forced to take this action as deer numbers in this alpine area are so low, no hunters actually hunt there.
    Remember the reason Kakapo were shifted from the southern part of the Island to Codfish Island. It had nothing to do with deer, it was predation by cats. Cats and rats will also be the villain with the dotterels but you can also add predatory birds such as harrier hawks, skua and gulls. Dotterel nests in these alpine areas are easy pickings for aerial predators. Will the trail camera footage of the harrier Hawk killing three fledgling dotterels at the nesting site that was captured in November 2019 feature on the internet? Probably not. A deer eats one egg six years ago and poses a threat to a critically endangered species but a hawk killing three juvenile birds do not rate a mention in the same article.
    Woody, Sideshow, Finnwolf and 1 others like this.

Do we have a recipe from this deer on how best to eat said eggs
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by wtd View Post

Whitetail deer have been known to eat bird eggs and there have been documented cases in USA of them eating birds as well. I am aware of one incident on Stewart Island where a fledgling muttonbird was found in a deer paunch some forty year ago.
    There are so many things wrong about the Southland Times report claiming deer pose a threat to dotterels. These birds nest on the open herb fields above the bushline on Tin Range. Mr Bull was certainly ‘fortunate’ to be able to observe a whitetail deer eating a fledgling. First to be in the nesting area and then to see a deer eating a bird.
    This footage has not ‘just surfaced’ it has been on the internet for six years and was filmed in 2013. DoC have had cameras on nesting sites since that time and no other footage of deer predation has been found. In recent years DOC have been shooting whitetail found in the nesting area. It would be interesting to know how many deer they have shot there. DOC have been forced to take this action as deer numbers in this alpine area are so low, no hunters actually hunt there.
    Remember the reason Kakapo were shifted from the southern part of the Island to Codfish Island. It had nothing to do with deer, it was predation by cats. Cats and rats will also be the villain with the dotterels but you can also add predatory birds such as harrier hawks, skua and gulls. Dotterel nests in these alpine areas are easy pickings for aerial predators. Will the trail camera footage of the harrier Hawk killing three fledgling dotterels at the nesting site that was captured in November 2019 feature on the internet? Probably not. A deer eats one egg six years ago and poses a threat to a critically endangered species but a hawk killing three juvenile birds do not rate a mention in the same article.
    In these times journalists and government departments have become sensationalist and selective. If it doesn’t fit their narrative then they omit.
    tetawa, Woody, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I would be prepared to bet that if Tegal were given the contract to manage our native birds, none would become extinct.
    I totally agree. Farm them all (Kiwi, Weka et al) into survival of the species.
    Woody and Marty Henry like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I totally agree. Farm them all (Kiwi, Weka et al) into survival of the species.
    Don't bother with the kiwi...I have it on good authority that they are shit to eat.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Don't bother with the kiwi...I have it on good authority that they are shit to eat.
    I have heard the same thing, apparently Māori didn’t eat them, but what are the eggs like?
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I have heard the same thing, apparently Māori didn’t eat them, but what are the eggs like?
    Like a bloody big balut if left under the hen too long, I guess.

If that's so, their beaks would still be useful as skewers for dotterell, Chatham island robin, waxeye and fantail kebabs.
    john m, rewa and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtd View Post
    . It would be interesting to know how many deer they have shot there. DOC have been forced to take this action as deer numbers in this alpine area are so low, no hunters actually hunt there.

Will the trail camera footage of the harrier Hawk killing three fledgling dotterels at the nesting site that was captured in November 2019 feature on the internet? Probably not. A deer eats one egg six years ago and poses a threat to a critically endangered species but a hawk killing three juvenile birds do not rate a mention in the same article.
    I can inquire as to numbers, may not be exact but would be a good indication.

Interesting about the harrier, have seen them over at masons cruising the dunes most trips there.
    berg243 likes this.

Instead of the green rain DoC could do a flyover and dump a load of day old chicks...yellow rain
    corn fed
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Just received this from the hunters trust.

On Monday the Southland times published this article after the reporter attended the December meeting of Southland Conservation Board
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-ti...aland-dotterel
    Video of the whitetail who liked an egg.

Whitetail deer have been known to eat bird eggs and there have been documented cases in USA of them eating birds as well. I am aware of only one incident on Stewart Island where a fledgling muttonbird was found in a deer paunch some forty year ago.
    There are so many things wrong about the Southland Times report claiming deer pose a threat to dotterels. These birds nest on the open herb fields above the bushline on theTin Range.
    This footage has not ‘just surfaced’ it has been on the internet for six years and was filmed in January 2013.
    DOC have had cameras on nesting sites since that time and no other footage of deer near nests has been found.
    Why the acting Operation Manager would bring this to the attention of the Board almost seven years later is unknown.

Mr Bull, who the article stated had seen whitetail eating dotterel chicks has since said he was misquoted.
    The footage shows a very young deer eating ONE egg
    In recent years DOC have been shooting whitetail found in the nesting area. It would be interesting to know how many deer they have shot there, Probably less than you can count on one hand. DOC have been forced to take this action as deer numbers in this alpine area are so low, no hunters actually hunt there. And the area is only of interest to deer when the the alpine plants are in flower.
    Remember the reason Kakapo were shifted from the southern part of the Island to Codfish Island. It had nothing to do with deer, it was predation by cats. Cats and rats will also be the villain with the dotterels but you can also add predatory birds such as harrier hawks, skua and gulls.
    Dotterel nests in these alpine areas are easy pickings for aerial predators. Will the trail camera footage of the harrier Hawk killing three fledgling dotterels at the nesting site that DOC captured in November 2019 feature on the internet? Probably not. And was that relayed to the Conservation Board? and why not?
    A deer eats one egg six years ago and poses a threat to a critically endangered species but a hawk killing three juvenile birds do not rate a mention in the same article.
    When questioned about balance and accuracy of the report, the reporter told me he tried to contact someone from Southland Branch but was unable find anyone. Clearly he did not search the contacts page on the Branch website which lists the Branch Presidents cellphone and the branch email. Nor did he seem inclined to pursue the positive things hunters are doing on the Island. (Lets just sensationalize and publish anyway)
    There has been some copy on social media. A number of hunters contacted me after reading the article. The answer to the headline is obvious Fake news.
    veitnamcam and Tentman like this.

Looks like there getting stuck in as note the miss quoted bit.

Numbers of deer shot are more tha one hand but you probably don't need both feet to count them all.... just an estimate from someone.

When they are there they are definitely targeting the nests, 1 deer can cover a lot of ground d and fi d a lot of nests when they are there

Sorry not according to the cameras!
    Who’s side are you on @223nut
    Looks like the cats and hawks are taking way more than there fair share which leaves hardly any for when the deer finally get there.
    Bit like law abiding firearms owners this......were innocent but still get the blame for gun crime while the crimes run riot!
    I wonder if it was Easter of 2013 and he just wanted a chocolate egg?

wtd
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Numbers of deer shot are more tha one hand but you probably don't need both feet to count them all.... just an estimate from someone.

When they are there they are definitely targeting the nests, 1 deer can cover a lot of ground d and fi d a lot of nests when they are there
    There is no evidence of deer being anywhere near a nest since the incident in 2013 so your comment appears to be speculation. You will note that DOC already have black backed gulls in sight as predators to go with the other known predator being hawks.