Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is it still a little early to be hunting the Rivers and streams in Te Ureweras ?

Quote Originally Posted by LegaSea View Post
    If you're going for a hunt between Minginui and Ruatahuna - did you know DoC / AHB spread 1080 poison over 55,000 hectares there, finishing 30 August 2012? (don't want you driving all that way then finding a bl..dy 1080 sign 50m in from the track end as I did)
    Yep mate . Thanksfor the heads up , I always have a look on the doc website before I go hunting.

I'm thinking about heading into Midway next week aye. Anyone been up there lately? I'm reckoning the spring flush should be going pretty strong in there by now. I hope that doesn't mean the spotlighters are going just as hard. Bit uncertain about leaving my car at the carpark as I'll be there a full 4 or 5 days, might be asking for trouble leaving it that long.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Also, what is the terrain like in there around the small creeks? Are they steep-sided and sometimes dangerous to work around or not too bad? There is a chance I'll be in there by myself and I'm wondering what the terrain is like - it looks pretty steep, I'm told you can get bluffed in there pretty easily.
    Yeah nah bro

Spring has sprung in the Ruahines!
    phillipgr likes this.

Hey Philipgr, Midway has been getting hammered after dark mate. They come in from the other end and light it up all the way down to midway. I would take the old Red creek that is on the left (true right) punch your way up there and onto the ridge. Keep a eye on the slips on the way up there and I wouldnt leave the car for 4-5 days mate . There is a guy at the Whirinaki cabins ( PM me I can find his number if you like) he will drop off pick up for you so vehicle is safe also try the local farmer you might even get a ride to the carpark you never know. Good luck

I don't know the area Philip(the north island) but i would be lookin high if there is the option.
    Locally deer have been on the tops for months and now stags are way way above bushline and hinds have vanished to give birth.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Boylo View Post
    Hey Philipgr, Midway has been getting hammered after dark mate. They come in from the other end and light it up all the way down to midway. I would take the old Red creek that is on the left (true right) punch your way up there and onto the ridge. Keep a eye on the slips on the way up there and I wouldnt leave the car for 4-5 days mate . There is a guy at the Whirinaki cabins ( PM me I can find his number if you like) he will drop off pick up for you so vehicle is safe also try the local farmer you might even get a ride to the carpark you never know. Good luck
    Hey mate, cheers for the info. It looks like I'll be going solo this week so I'm opting to go to a place I know to be on the safe side. Definitely keen to go up the Horomanga at some point though. Cheers.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I don't know the area Philip(the north island) but i would be lookin high if there is the option.
    Locally deer have been on the tops for months and now stags are way way above bushline and hinds have vanished to give birth.
    No open tops in this spot but feed will be quite plentiful on the river flats and the slips at the moment I should think.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Horomunga gets alot of pressure this time of the year. However if you put in the effort and get up out of the main valley you will do well. Think side creaks with grassy faces well away from spotlite reach and the deer will be there this time of the year, they cant help themselves. Chance for a Rusa to. Good luck there should be plenty around.
    phillipgr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    Horomunga gets alot of pressure this time of the year. However if you put in the effort and get up out of the main valley you will do well. Think side creaks with grassy faces well away from spotlite reach and the deer will be there this time of the year, they cant help themselves. Chance for a Rusa to. Good luck there should be plenty around.
    Cheers for the tip Hayden
    Yeah nah bro

No problems Phillip. Boylo’s post is a good one...you don’t have to go all the way to Midway. Check out the side creaks. I haven’t been up Red creak in years but used to frequently. There’s a nice little spot just before the climb starts to Kitawa Forks

I know a fair few cockys down that way if you’re really worried about your vehicle although I’ve never had any issues at the rod end. Give me a P.M if you like. Wish I could come.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Saw a group of ten (hinds and yearlings) down low last weekend. Hinds were just starting to beat the yearlings up

Interesting, what region.?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.