Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Stonker

R93
    I have seen plenty of deer up there when in the machine a few years ago but no Fallow.
    I dare say it would have been trying to get back into the station😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Why would Lillybank let it go?

Even some genuine public land trophies are shot under dubious circumstances, I think there are "some" trophy hunters that are just in it for the ego. For me it's more about how I got it rather than the score.

R93, 285 you gotta be happy with that.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Its funny as fuck seeing a helihunt supporter like you R93 bitching about trophy integrity. You shot your 'trophy' on private access controlled land? No different than a cheque book hunter. Suck it up sonny, tahr, reds and chamois get heli-hunted and entered as fair chase, large trophies from farms, like yours get entered as public land trophies. Every now and again chequebook SCI hunters get caught out and theres plenty of NZDA 'trophies' that have less trophy and more cheque book bloodlines in them.
    Chamois are the least likely animal to be paid for. Its hard finding a large buck and even harder to live catch and keep him alive him for release behind the wire. Tahr/chamois used to be an honest trophy at worst taken out the back of a station/farm at worst but helihunts changed all that.
    Everything else is open to conjecture though a good trophy photo/background helps a lot, but thats what helicopters are for right?

I know the feeling of taking a trophy in the wild and doing it on foot, walk in walk out and fly camping on public land. Its good.
    Last edited by Speargrass; 04-07-2015 at 03:40 AM.

If the public cannot access the land, then the trophy has less value to me as only those with exclusive rights can hunt them. These animals can be nursed along "don't shot him yet, he's not yet peaked...give him another couple years" with no risk of it being shot by the next hunter who comes along, as there is no next hunter who would shoot him due to access restrictions.

The animal won't score less or more, that's a mathematical number. But hunting private land is devoid of competition.

Still an awesome animal, can still be a wicked hunt, but shouldn't be in record books as the opportunity to find it doesn't exist to everyone.

Kj
    Breda, veitnamcam and R93 like this.

R93
    Helihunt supporter? Ah...... not in the least.
    I support Waro which is way different than AATH.
    Good 2nd post tho, cheers😆

WhistlingWings, JoshC and kimjon like this.

Don't entirely agree with that kimjon. The opportunity to shoot or hunt a big stag is available to everyone you just need to stump up with the money/time wether it be public or private land.

The truth is a lot of the back blocks of public land where the big animals may or may not be are not accessible to 90% of hunters because they are limited financially or time poor. For example for a north islander to come and shoot a trophy whitetail it would not only Cost a considerable amount of money but also a lot of time that most can't spare. Therefore is a trophy whitetail not accessible to all hunters and therefore should be excluded from the record books?

Broadly speaking as I no nothing about where daves stag was shot or in what situation but I assume it was on a farm where anyone from the public could stump up with $$$ to hunt?

R93
    You're right Jock. It is even harder as there are only a handful of bucks allowed to be taken a year off the property.
    That's why I didn't want the buck we got entered in anything and it never will be.
    Not everyone had a chance to secure it so it shouldn't be recognized by anything but maybe score with the truth attached.
    The point of the thread. But I guess that kinda sounds confusing coming from a helihunting cheque book hunter😆

veitnamcam and kiwijames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You may be right mate but I don't see how or why it would be of benifit to me. They do not own the record books or the heads in them?
    I have been hunting for 35 years and got along fine without them.
    Most of that hunting for a wage.
    I do find some of their rules/ethics discriminating and hypocritical.

The Fallow we got will not go in any book or on any records as far as I know.
    It was taken to the nationals by my mate (nzda member) who helped me secure it, to be measured only. I am not into competitions where hunting is concerned. Besides it is only a matter of time when there will be a 300 class fallow taken in southland and I bet it will be close to where we got Stonker.

It is impossible and just a dream, but I suppose my point is, I would only like to see trophies recorded from legit herds shot by real honest hunters on public land. We had that for a time.
    Some Nz recorded trophies are starting to look like SCI stuff, including mine

It looks like an SCI trophy because its virtually assured same status as a cheque book trophy with the controlled access you enjoyed. As to the real honest hunters on public land thats a change from when you supported helihunts and later AATH as its known, hows your leg these days?

You waited till someone shot a bigger trophy than you did before you stopped to wonder about trophy integrity ? Pretty much sums it up.
    R93 and Daggers_187 like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Guess the whole "trophy" argument reminds me how lucky I am, all I care about is : first, can I eat it? and second? :is it pretty/handsome/narly/character filled?.

Everybody wants to be loved, I don't need a bunch of SCI or NZDA @#$%'s loving me cause my .........tape, is bigger than theirs.

R93
    Have your first "Like" attached to your post and welcome to the forum speargrass😆

Speargrass likes this.

R u a cheque book hunter R93 ? I thought you shot out of choppers for a living from reading between the lines on what you've posted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    R u a cheque book hunter R93 ? I thought you shot out of choppers for a living from reading between the lines on what you've posted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. I started out shooting and then flying.
    Never paid to shoot anything other than clays targets.
    Shaun has just labeled me as a cheque book hunter.
    I must have scratched a nerve😆

Just hope they don't mess up your hunts on public land. They are out there with their guides and helicopters riding on the shoulders of the giants struggling in the scrub below them.

SCI refused to accept helihunted trophies in 2009 but 60%-80% of NZ helihunt clients are SCI members. Similar BS is the misrepresentation of "trophy" and 'hunt" by New Zealand hunting guides.

Canned Hunts - MeatEater

In fact, I believe that all hunters—even those who do canned hunts—know the difference. I believe this because they intentionally fudge the lines when it comes to how they discuss their activities. How come you so infrequently meet a canned hunter who admits openly that the trophy on his wall was taken behind a fence? How come hunting shows that do canned hunts never bother to mention the fact that the animals they’re supposedly stalking can’t really get away? I know a guy who hunted New Zealand once, and he killed a huge stag there in a place that I know to be fenced. When he got home, he talked a lot about the experience. He told the history of New Zealand, how it was discovered by Captain Cook. He talked about the fact that it was once home to flightless birds that stood thirteen feet high, but that the birds were killed off by indigenous hunters; he talked about the weather where he hunted, and the kinds of plants there, and the sorts of terrain he walked on. He even talked about the quality of the light in the early morning. But through all that detail, he always failed to mention the fact that his stag was released into that enclosure from a truck, and that he knew before he arrived that he’d be killing it. I’m not sure why he doesn’t mention these things, but perhaps the word “guilt” has something to do with it.
    I like Saint Hubertus the first westerner to state a hunting code its been in place since 700AD
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubertus

Sankt Hubertus (German) is honored among sport-hunters as the originator of ethical hunting behavior.

During Hubert's religious vision, the Hirsch is said to have lectured Hubertus into holding animals in higher regard and having compassion for them as God's creatures with a value in their own right. For example, the hunter ought to only shoot when a humane, clean and quick kill is assured. He ought shoot only old stags past their prime breeding years and to relinquish a much anticipated shot on a trophy to instead euthanize a sick or injured animal that might appear on the scene. Further, one ought never shoot a female with young in tow to assure the young deer have a mother to guide them to food during the winter. Such is the legacy of Hubert who still today is taught and held in high regard in the extensive and rigorous German and Austrian hunter education courses.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No. I started out shooting and then flying.
    Never paid to shoot anything other than clays targets.
    Shaun has just labeled me as a cheque book hunter.
    I must have scratched a nerve😆

Yah know I may have to remove the cheque book label and replace it with another one its a maori world Amanota whaken Karoling ini Ta Whakan bish translated means "Man who does not like cobwebs on his face"

R93
    Who does? If your missing them in the bush you are probably very close to your quarry. But you already knew that😆

Beaker likes this.