Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Summer hunting .....a question of ethics??

i share a patch of bush with a fellow member who was kind enough to share this area with only me. i feel very grateful for his sharing of the area. i am a meat hunter and he is a trophy hunter at least in this area anyway. i will not shoot a stag if it is showing a good head or promise of one. i will leave that for my mate (hopefully) Hinds well if i spot a hind and its young enough or deemed not to have a Fawn at foot it would be very hard to look past an opportunity to put meat in the freezer. if i spot a hind with a yearling i will take the yearling first if the hind sticks around long enough i will take her to. the last 1/3 of this video deals with herd management which think has merit. summer time i would honestly target yearlings TV Wild :: it is hard for some people when presented with a clear shot of a deer not to take it when they have spent 10 hours stalking the bush and only see a lactating Hind that takes alot of control not to shoot that animal when there's no meat in the freezer. the debate has been great. what are peoples thought on the video is it possible to manage a nz wild herd this way and have the best of both worlds excellent trophies while still putting meat in the freezer.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Some guys like to drive past schools at 150 kph, but thats ok, it makes them happy eh. some are happy to drive drunk but hey its their thing. Some sadistic people like to mistreat their pets or worse their kids but yeah if it makes them happy?. Sometimes we all should judge.
    This country could be improved by quite a bit if people spoke up and voiced their opposition to things they don't agree with.
    Your signature doesn't quite go with this post...and I drive slowly past schools, so I hope that doesn't make me a paedophile.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Your signature doesn't quite go with this post...and I drive slowly past schools, so I hope that doesn't make me a paedophile.
    Depends on interpretation really, it could fit perfectly.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    and I drive slowly past schools, so I hope that doesn't make me a paedophile.
    Funny as fck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Me ,well I normally watch the animal for a little while before pulling the trigger. I normally wait for the perfect bullet placement opportunity, this time waiting confirms target species and not another hunter, also a better animal may pop out and join the first, or a fawn might turn up. In that case if there is a sucking fawn at foot I don't shoot. My 2cents worth.
    R93, mucko, Lentil and 1 others like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Summer hunting .....a question of ethics??

I do wonder if some of the difference in opinions here is as simple as two things...
    1. Experience level. Particularly guys who gave been employed shooters exposed to high animal populations
    2. South Island open country hunters. I haven't checked people's profiles to see which part of the country you come from, but for GappedAxe to say he 'watches animals for a while' to make an assessment first, as though he gets this time to watch often, suggests to me he might be a South Island open country hunter.
    Hunting Reds but mainly Sika in the North, I mainly see them in thick bush or on tracks & there certainly isn't much time to assess the situation beyond whether it's a deer or not. However, when I did once see a Sika stag on a clay pan in summer and a hind further down on a slip face, my automatic decision was to go for the stag and had no interest in the hind. But it was never because she might have a cute little baby fawn tucked off in the bush somewhere.
    I'm pretty sure I cried when Bambi's mum got shot... But I got over it by the time I turned 5

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hunt4life, Gapped axe lives at Tarawera and hunts locally.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    I do wonder if some of the difference in opinions here is as simple as two things...
    1. Experience level. Particularly guys who gave been employed shooters exposed to high animal populations
    2. South Island open country hunters. I haven't checked people's profiles to see which part of the country you come from, but for GappedAxe to say he 'watches animals for a while' to make an assessment first, as though he gets this time to watch often, suggests to me he might be a South Island open country hunter.
    Hunting Reds but mainly Sika in the North, I mainly see them in thick bush or on tracks & there certainly isn't much time to assess the situation beyond whether it's a deer or not. However, when I did once see a Sika stag on a clay pan in summer and a hind further down on a slip face, my automatic decision was to go for the stag and had no interest in the hind. But it was never because she might have a cute little baby fawn tucked off in the bush somewhere.
    I'm pretty sure I cried when Bambi's mum got shot... But I got over it by the time I turned 5
    While Iv made a dollar selling venison and hunted some SI open country it has no bearing on the standards I try and maintain. As a young kid starting out it was set by my parents but was also I think part of me from an early age. I hunt and kill things but I don't like see animals suffer needlessly. Simply put if I was going to kill something then it was my responsibility to do it as quickly as painlessly as possible which meant hinds where off the list at this time of year.. period. Everything I shot had to come home as the local game freezer was run by my Dad so it got the once over and I guess reinforced things. Standards are just that as I see it and I wont adjust them as freezer levels lower,animal numbers drop or the distance Iv covered increases and there's no hypocrisy here on my part (at least on this topic) , Iv never shot hinds this time of the year.
    .Some guys I know park up the rifle over summer altogether and go fishing as the hinds have fawns and the stags are in velvet , all a no go for them.
    I guess you will either care about it or you wont but I don't think it hurts that that people are at least aware of what they are doing.
    My grandad told me way back that Id never regret not taking a shot, Im pretty sure he was right.

Most of my 'standards' are the same Sneeze and I think your stance on hinds in summer is admirable. Just not one, at this stage of my life nor hunting career, which I subscribe to. Cheers for the discussion