Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 1 Post By kukuwai
  • 2 Post By Rendogg
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By Steven708
  • 4 Post By WhiteBait
  • 11 Post By DBD

Thread: Tahr numbers?

Tahr numbers?

Hey fellow members,

This is probably a first for me as I don't like asking but I have a mate that wants to get out for a tahr hunt soon and just wanting to know what the current numbers are like in the lower Jollie river area, first/second creeks or boundary stream off Mt Cook road?

Any info or other recommendations greatly appreciated.

PM reply if you want to keep it quiet.

Cheers.
    kukuwai likes this.

Ps, keep this quiet but no tahr up old jollie. What about going for look up the start of the big walking track towards the skifield at tekapo, lots closer and I'd say most people flag it as being too crowded, when the track hangs left keep going up the ck(boundary) looks good to me.
    I have been up all night shooting so the old brain might be befuddled at mo. Good luck n let me know if you go up there.
    Hunter595 likes this.

Bos
    Jollie get a lot of pressure from what Im told. Id look else where

Watching with interest......

Im hoping to head south sometime in the school holidays in the hope that both my son and I can shoot our first tahr.

So also very interested in what you regular tahr hunters have to say about numbers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Fat belly Dog likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Hey rumpy, this is too easy to be honest . Head up one of the river valleys walking or driving if you can untill you see some tahr . They aren’t there in the numbers they used to be of course . But put in the time on the glass and you will find at least some Nannie’s to make a plan for . There will be tahr up the Jollie for sure just keep going til you see some . As for the roundhill ski field in tekapo I’ve been to that ski field a few times and not seen a tahr up there . I didn’t put in a huge effort looking all the same . So Hopkins , ahuriri , Macauley godley , Rangitata there’s tahr in them all just got to get into it .
    kukuwai and RUMPY like this.

Thanks @Rendogg, yeah I know they are able to be found everywhere but my usual spots are not the easiest option for what we are looking for this time. Might just have to pick a spot and go looking.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Ps, keep this quiet but no tahr up old jollie. What about going for look up the start of the big walking track towards the skifield at tekapo, lots closer and I'd say most people flag it as being too crowded, when the track hangs left keep going up the ck(boundary) looks good to me.
    I have been up all night shooting so the old brain might be befuddled at mo. Good luck n let me know if you go up there.
    Yeah, its nice up there but not many Tahr now. Mate has just been and saw 5 in 2 days hard hunting. He saw more wallaby than Tahr. I saw 3 when I was up there soon after the first cull.

The good thing is that it can be a day trip.
    Trout and RUMPY like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

PM sent Rumpy.

Had 6 days up the Rangitata - flew in with Malcolm - beats the drive in that’s for sure. The tahr are there - spend time glassing, usually started appearing in the afternoon. There summer coat definitely helps pick them up.
    Micky Duck, kukuwai and RUMPY like this.

Heaps of Tahr in the hills at the moment. As previously mentioned, glass a lot. Try to wrangle a spot where you can survey as much of a range as possible. They often move later in the day, so be prepared to close the gap fast. I find it easier climbing high to shoot down upon them.
    Trout, Micky Duck, kukuwai and 1 others like this.
    One foot after the other..

DBD
    Was up the Jollie few weeks ago, took my 11 year old daughter for her first hunt. We saw a very good amount on animals even though 5 other cars in the car park and counted 18 people sighted on the Sat. We took 2 nannies as the decent bulls kept way back till late. After our success and heading down we came across a mob about 200m up from camp.
    Name:  IMG_20231111_201946.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  3.72 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tahr, Trout, Shearer and 8 others like this.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...