Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Wanted : Clarification on grazing rights on DOC land

Wanted : Clarification on grazing rights on DOC land

Hi team, I'm just looking for some clarification around what complications grazing concessions on DOC land might cause. Am I right in assuming such a concession doesn't give the farmer exclusive use of the land? I'm just looking at a spot where the road buts right up against the DOC land according to LINZ, walking access, and doc maps but it looks like a farmer may be grazing the easiest access point. Am I within my rights to walk through this part? Obviously would never even consider messing with livestock or anything that even remotely looks like it might be the farmer's property. Thanks in advance!

Depends on time of year, lambing and calving can cause issues for farmers....contact the farmer then you will know....

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    7mmwsm and BRADS like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

@Barry the hunter

what has your local DOC had to say???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Also have a chat with local DOC, they should be able to advise...no one likes a run in with angry people, at least knowing what you can do and being in contact with farmer will help

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    BRADS and Micky Duck like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

DOC hasn't responded. It looks more like a loading yard for stock trucks so likely no stock in it. Would literally be walking across that yard (approx 20m). Should be able to walk around without crossing that even but won't know til I get boots on the ground.

Ring the farmer and ask him. I hunt an area with the same arrangement except two farmers have grazing rights on the same stretch of river banks. I always ring both to check it is okay, although I do have to cross a short section of private land to access the public land.

Both farmers have always been great to deal with, even to the extent of allowing me to use their private huts. Another advantage in talking to them is that they can inform you of any other hunters in the area (that have bothered to phone them), and also let other hunters know you are there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Been unable to find any details re farmer otherwise I would. Will circumvent the questionable bit this time as plenty of roadside access, will just have to cross stream.

A response from DOC about an OIA request i did ages ago as the local office wouldnt get back to me.

Regarding the grazing concession in the Rawhitiroa Conservation Area and Waitotara
    Cosnervation Area, both concessions are listed as a license. Under the Conservation
    Act 1987, a license does not grant the concessionaire exclusive possession of the land.
    Therefore, both hunters and the general public are allowed to access the land. This is
    also reiterated in the concession grazing contracts “the land is open for public
    access”.
    However, for hunters, they must have the appropriate open area permit to hunt. The
    Department does have the authority to put restrictions on hunting in the area. Please
    confirm with your local DOC office if hunting or other access restrictions are in place

TLDR. Grazing concession doesn't grant exclusive use of that land. So they cannot restrict the general public access to that area. BUT can restrict hunting. That should be covered under your hunting permit/ restrictions for that block.
    Sika stag, Micky Duck and Quintin like this.

If there's access that doc have arranged with farmer.There should be a sign there saying so with map on it.

So to me i interpret that as.
    If you have a hunting permit for that area, and there is no restrictions you are good. - double check with a call to doc office before going there is no restrictiions.

I had that email and permit in my pack for one farmer who is quite hostile and thought he had exclusive use of some area.
    But just like paper roads. - Just because you have a right to be there sometimes it isnt worth the hassle and drama with the landowner / farmer tho thinks otherwise.

Cheers that sounds right. DOC site lists no restrictions, is there anywhere else they'd be detailed? Says open permit area, which I have.

Will pop into doc with the map on my lunchbreak

Interested to hear how you get on. That farmer is known to be less than helpful

I think I know the farm you guys are talking about but no different spot sorry. No concession over where I'm going but will tread lightly. A lot of old handshake arrangements around here that never got documented. Tricky when not even DOC know for sure.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

Bit of info here.https://www.herengaanuku.govt.nz/typ...d-legal-roads/ Handshake agreements and paper road misunderstanding should go down the shitter.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.