Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Te Urewera novices

Need to get a permit via this Tim Permission for Hunting : Tuhoe

Yep its still standing, was down there for a walk 2 months ago
    Pengy likes this.

Just a quick update if anyone's interested:
    Contacted Richard, and he told me he's sorta closed down his hunting operations for winter, because of this (and the realization it's probably gonna be cold as fuck and pissing down all the time) we've decided to postpone our trip to Te Urewera to spring.
    Instead we're probably gonna go bowl some goats over around kings country/Taranaki next week as we got contacts there.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim.G View Post
    Contacted Richard, and he told me he's sorta closed down his hunting operations for winter, because of this (and the realization it's probably gonna be cold as fuck and pissing down all the time) we've decided to postpone our trip to Te Urewera to spring.
    Instead we're probably gonna go bowl some goats over around kings country/Taranaki next week as we got contacts there.
    SOFT!!!

Im taking my wife and 2 kids (5 and 2.5 years) to the lake in a couple of weeks.
    Tim.G likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.G View Post
    I must admit that the creek down to the Te Totara Stream can get a tad ugly now and then. The locals tell me that there was a big flood down there and shit did it clean up a lot of trees and river flats. Checking on one part of the creek I would say that it was around 2 metres higher than normal. Yipeeeee
    Tim.G likes this.

So not so soft wise discussion for novice hunters! Good thinking guys.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    It's been well over 40 years since I've hunted the Parahaki, Waiau. I suppose it's changed a lot with regards to the vegetation density. What's the hunting like in late spring, early summer like nowadays?

Bummer, was planning on heading into the te totara for an explore in a couple of weeks.

Banned
    Jim Tahi will sort you out for a drop off Nick. 07 3663100
    Nick-D likes this.

A bit of history/folklore re Te Totara flooding. In the mid eighties my father and I wandered around there for a week. Caught up with a trapper called Neville? He was based at Whites Clearing with his partner (Kathy?) and had a couple of decent bivvies around the area. He was given a horse that he named Chinaman after the previous owner who drowned in a flash flood in Te Totara Stream. Chinaman went on to be a good packhorse for skins etc until he dropped dead on the main track to Central Waiau. A chopper (probably a 300) was called in however couldn't lift the whole carcass so it had to be done in a couple of trips.
    I injured my knee while in there and Neville was good enough to let me ride one of his horses out to the motorbikes at Whites Clearing. This was a few haircuts ago so I can't vouch for the detail. Moral of the story is to respect Te Totara Stream in heavy rain events.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiaviator View Post
    A bit of history/folklore re Te Totara flooding. In the mid eighties my father and I wandered around there for a week. Caught up with a trapper called Neville? He was based at Whites Clearing with his partner (Kathy?) and had a couple of decent bivvies around the area. He was given a horse that he named Chinaman after the previous owner who drowned in a flash flood in Te Totara Stream. Chinaman went on to be a good packhorse for skins etc until he dropped dead on the main track to Central Waiau. A chopper (probably a 300) was called in however couldn't lift the whole carcass so it had to be done in a couple of trips.
    I injured my knee while in there and Neville was good enough to let me ride one of his horses out to the motorbikes at Whites Clearing. This was a few haircuts ago so I can't vouch for the detail. Moral of the story is to respect Te Totara Stream in heavy rain events.
    Was that the guy from Tirau ? if so he is still wondering around and stays at Richards hut on the clearing. If it is him then I first meet him in 1969 when he was meat hunting from the road end. As far as I am aware Chinaman belonged to Ivan White and as you say he was a bloody good pack horse and could carry a fair old load of animals. I understand that the horse got the name Chinaman as he tossed one off after spooking on a dead cattle beast and the rider, who just happened to be chinese, was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Jim Tahi will sort you out for a drop off Nick. 07 3663100
    Is he an owner in the clearing ?

He was originally from up Tirau/Putararu from memory. Good to hear hes still around. Charlie Jane mentions him in one of his books as well. Thanks for the clarification and extra info on Chinaman Chop3r.

I had a chat with him couple of months back. He has slowed down on the hunting and his wife has to go with him now so he doesnt get lost.