Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: tell me about Wapiti

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    In NZ deer farming Wapiti usually refers to animals which originated from Fiordland Wapiti. Elk refers to lines which originate from animals, semen or embryos imported from North America for farming.
    Yes this answer is correct. Because there were Pure bred animals imported into NZ from Canada in the 1980's and early 90's and also wild captured animals out of Fiordland ( non of which were pure but all had some Red deer blood ) a way was needed to differentiate between the two. Using the common Canadian name Elk for the imported animals.Attachment 97513Name:  Copy of Bob and Paula Correa Hunt 23rd March 2006 013.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  1.13 MB The trophy animal is the result of a cross between an imported Elk and a non pure live captured Fiordland Wap cow. The other photo shows a Wapiti / Elk bull in velvet and an Eastern Red stag. The Easterns get a lot bigger than our wild reds that are from Western European subspecies. An Eastern stag will commonly pull the scales down to 300 to 350 kg
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 26-10-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    stingray, Shearer and chainsaw like this.

Name:  3eBJmhIYn4g.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  67.5 KB

Apparently they work as a substitute horse as well.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I have made expeditions to the Wapiti blocks twice. On the first I got burned nearly to death, and on the second drowned nearly to death. Had that have happened at the same time it would have been more convenient.
    I had only moments to record this animal, and scratched it out with a hurried pencil before it disappeared. In vague hopes of having this animal identified, difficult because the vague drawing I was able to do under difficult circumstances, I posted this to the NZ Wapiti foundation. After examining this evidence, they pronounced this creature to be a Red Deer, with some wapiti blood, although they could not tell me how much, although I pressed them hard. Plainly wapiti are different to what I believed.

After some initial misgivings and considerable thought on the matter, I sent them also the following image, which I managed to get after wrestling this creature to the ground and then staring him in the eyes until he froze. I hypothesise that Wapiti have a defense mechanism where they lie still and hope you'll go away. I am hoping they can tell me how much red deer DNA are in this wapiti -

They havn't replied yet. So after taking another sample of Wapiti, I endeavoured to examine the creature myself and come to my own conclusions. Here I am trying to see how much red deer DNA is in this Wapiti -

Here I am looking for a Wapiti everywhere -

At last! I thought I got one, but I have sent this photo off to Canada, because upon reflection, it seems its actually some kind of Fiordland moose.

Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 26-10-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Banned
    Here I discovered extensive browsing damage and erosion in the Fiordland rainforest, caused undoubtedly by Wapiti.

After looking around everywhere again -

I finally got a shot at a good wapiti -

In here. Plainly you can see that wapiti characteristics are mistakable, note the line of the beak, which I believe is used teh same way as octopuses do, ie for eating trees and such:

Here he is just before I shot him. You can observe that there is so much red deer DNA in this wapiti that it would be doubtful if it could survive in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Attachment 97516

Apparently they work as a substitute horse as well.
    Looks like a good way to loose an eye.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Doesn't have to be worrying stock, it has the ability to worry stock so you have the right to use your own discretion
    Sure, use your discretion. So... is it worth it??

Press the trigger and risk your neighbours hating your guts (unless you keep it quiet), they'll not care if they see something suspicious going up your drive way when you are on away, etc. Never mind being as able to use their "discretion" on your dog come the opportunity.
    223nut likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Here I discovered extensive browsing damage and erosion in the Fiordland rainforest, caused undoubtedly by Wapiti.

After looking around everywhere again -

I finally got a shot at a good wapiti -

In here. Plainly you can see that wapiti characteristics are mistakable, note the line of the beak, which I believe is used teh same way as octopuses do, ie for eating trees and such:

Here he is just before I shot him. You can observe that there is so much red deer DNA in this wapiti that it would be doubtful if it could survive in the wild.

That snider with the spit on the end seems an excellent solution to the diverse genetics of your "wapiti" it kills, cooks, and kebabs all at the same time.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Doesn't have to be worrying stock, it has the ability to worry stock so you have the right to use your own discretion
    Yep from memory working dogs (sheepdogs) on their own are deemed to be out of control.
    Good working dogs are an example of highly controlled worrying.
    Grannies little pet not so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    I have made expeditions to the Wapiti blocks twice. On the first I got burned nearly to death, and on the second drowned nearly to death. Had that have happened at the same time it would have been more convenient.
    I had only moments to record this animal, and scratched it out with a hurried pencil before it disappeared. In vague hopes of having this animal identified, difficult because the vague drawing I was able to do under difficult circumstances, I posted this to the NZ Wapiti foundation. After examining this evidence, they pronounced this creature to be a Red Deer, with some wapiti blood, although they could not tell me how much, although I pressed them hard. Plainly wapiti are different to what I believed.

After some initial misgivings and considerable thought on the matter, I sent them also the following image, which I managed to get after wrestling this creature to the ground and then staring him in the eyes until he froze. I hypothesise that Wapiti have a defense mechanism where they lie still and hope you'll go away. I am hoping they can tell me how much red deer DNA are in this wapiti -

They havn't replied yet. So after taking another sample of Wapiti, I endeavoured to examine the creature myself and come to my own conclusions. Here I am trying to see how much red deer DNA is in this Wapiti -

Here I am looking for a Wapiti everywhere -

At last! I thought I got one, but I have sent this photo off to Canada, because upon reflection, it seems its actually some kind of Fiordland moose.

The animal you have drawn would test at about 65% Pure Wapiti DNA. The shot animal in the last photo is without doubt showing DNA from the Irish Elk. The flying Wapiti is an interesting genetic adaptation to a difficult environment, no doubt facilitating the seasonal movements between valleys and aiding rapid escape from Helicopters

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The flying Wapiti is an interesting genetic adaptation to a difficult environment, no doubt facilitating the seasonal movements between valleys and aiding rapid escape from Helicopters
    That would make sense, perhaps developed from cross-breeding with moose which often fly to warmer areas for their winter migration.
    2Quack and Max Headroom like this.

Banned
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_elk
    The physical similarities between the specimen in photo #5 and the Irish Elk are irrefutable evidence of it's descendants surviving to this very day. Many forms of Mega-fauna have morphed, if that is the correct term into much smaller versions of their previous selves as the planet warmed again after the last Ice Age. Sadly your specimen may have been amongst a mere handful of Irish Elk still surviving. We might consider that as the planet warms further perhaps our modern red deer will become smaller.
    Max Headroom likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    That would make sense, perhaps developed from cross-breeding with moose which often fly to warmer areas for their winter migration.
    Yes the 'Bell' or Dewlap being inflated at night with Helium from the Rumen and used to facilitate migratory flights. As these migrations take place only on very dark nights - the moose climbing to high ground in preparation, film footage is rare. The attached link however shows a disguised moose inflating it's bell-sack and escaping a Zoo complete with 'water landing'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dApRtXZRw1Y