Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Max ethical range on a 7.62x39 bolt-action for deer

Max ethical range on a 7.62x39 bolt-action for deer

As the title says, what would you guys recommend as the maximum range for an ethical kill? And yes, I fully appreciate shot placement. So, a ball-park figure would be nice.

ebf
    The distance from which you can reliably & repeatedly hit an a4 page, using the same hold/position you would when hunting...

We could tell you nnn meters, but it means squat if you can't hit a barn door from half that distance.
    Cyclops, chainsaw, Boaraxa and 7 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I personally would say to kill a medium sized deer you would need to be able to repeatedly hit a 6 inch diameter target from chosen rest at Max determined distance. Bullet energy to also be above 1000 ft pounds.. A ballistic calculator can tell ya this and the distance when energy will be at this point. I would then cut that distance by 100 yards. But if you are after advice on trying to ethically kill an animal you would have to first determine what your ethics are...

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mjmatsen View Post
    As the title says, what would you guys recommend as the maximum range for an ethical kill? And yes, I fully appreciate shot placement. So, a ball-park figure would be nice.
    200M is about it , not sure what your 7.62x39 shoots like but generally there not the most accurate round I get around a 3" group at 100m with my Zastava never bothered playing with different ammo so could probably improve on it but the last one I had a norinco I could get near an inch at 100 , either way personally I wouldn't shoot at anything over 150M
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

And the award for the second most asked question on the forum goes too........
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

sneakywaza I got
    I would have more confidence using a .223 with a good projectile than I would with the AK round. 200m is a stretch of ethics for that round on any reasonable size animal. (depending on all sorts of variables that might play at the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    And the award for the second most asked question on the forum goes too........
    Why are 270's so good
    tanqueray likes this.

Assuming decent hunting projectiles & accuracy easily as far or further than a 223

270's are good because not everyone can shoot 30cal's ethically. He he he. Just wanted an excuse, sorry #270 gang.
    veitnamcam and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    200M is about it , not sure what your 7.62x39 shoots like but generally there not the most accurate round I get around a 3" group at 100m with my Zastava never bothered playing with different ammo so could probably improve on it but the last one I had a norinco I could get near an inch at 100 , either way personally I wouldn't shoot at anything over 150M
    3 at 100 average, Well I think u need a bourbon mate because I have seen a lot worse
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    3 at 100 average, Well I think u need a bourbon mate because I have seen a lot worse
    DONE
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Why are 270's so good
    Doesn't really need much explaining ... the 270 is a mere 7mm and the 308 a whopping 7.62 mm. The 270 has virtually no recoil and suites those with less physically presence. I once shot a Reedbuck behind the head at all of 50 metres once. Dropped right there, no second or third shots required.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Doesn't really need much explaining ... the 270 is a mere 7mm and the 308 a whopping 7.62 mm. The 270 has virtually no recoil and suites those with less physically presence. I once shot a Reedbuck behind the head at all of 50 metres once. Dropped right there, no second or third shots required.
    Virtually no recoil you say ????? what 270 are you shooting ???
    mine is not what I would call un managable but certainly gives much more solid boot than my old 308 and I would say is on par with my old 7mm rem mag
    I certainly woould not call it a light recoil option
    shooternz, Paddy79, rewa and 1 others like this.

From my small personnel experience, I would limit my self to deer with in 100 kg and with in 150 m.

And the issue is not with all the well place shots that are going to kill fast, it is when your shots will be in a marginal zone and you have to track your wounded animal a fair distance. It definitely hasn't got the knock down power of a 308.
    Hunt4life, rewa and dannyb like this.

Years ago when I had a Ruger mini30 using 123gr soft points 150-175m was long range shot back then. I called it the eyeball gun I every time I aimed at the head I got them in the eyes and the old man taught me to head and neck shoot only and to measure the bullet drop in deers eye balls. Zeroed for 100m, aim one eyeball high for 125m , three eyeballs for 150m , five eyeballs for 175m easy as that, but guessing the range was harder. Smacked over plenty of veni with that gun and most were shot under 60m-80m.