Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Max ethical range on a 7.62x39 bolt-action for deer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    How does the 7.62 x 39 go in the AR platform?
    The mini 30's good for the first few shots but not so good when hot.
    Ideally needs a lighter trigger as well.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    I've got an NEA barrel and bolt in a AERO upper and its great. 100% reliable to date with the 20 round mags I imported specially for it. Sighted it in at 75m as I only have a 1-4 scope on it and haven't actually tried it for groups since breaking in the barrel. Its killed everything I've pointed it at and never lost an animal. Highly recommended in my book.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    On the subject of x39 rounds, I have an SKS, and a few hundred rounds of Norinco FMJ,and Barnaul and Tula HP, and SP. I'd prefer to use the SP out hunting but have found that when the SKS chambers an SP round, it shaves off a slice of lead going into the chamber, there's really no ramp to speak of.

Result: Crap accuracy. From memory approx 3-4 inches @ 75m. If possible, I'd rather use the HP as it seems to group lots better, but am unsure of how well it would perform on a deer. I fear it would behave like an FMJ. Anybody used HP?
    From what I have seen of the hollow points, they work far more like a SP than a FMJ. While I have not recovered a projectile to see the mushroom, thy seem to monster the targets....

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    On the subject of x39 rounds, I have an SKS, and a few hundred rounds of Norinco FMJ,and Barnaul and Tula HP, and SP. I'd prefer to use the SP out hunting but have found that when the SKS chambers an SP round, it shaves off a slice of lead going into the chamber, there's really no ramp to speak of.

Result: Crap accuracy. From memory approx 3-4 inches @ 75m. If possible, I'd rather use the HP as it seems to group lots better, but am unsure of how well it would perform on a deer. I fear it would behave like an FMJ. Anybody used HP?
    I shot 2 last year in the bush with mine using the hollow points they worked pretty good at 30M
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Realistic range, shot-placement and appropriate projectile, will generally always work. Yesterday, I shot a yearling jersey bull, at 30m, with a .22 hi-velocity. It was all I had on hand, and the bull was out of control.(jumped a fence,attacked cars , pets and people) One shot between the eyes, and it dropped where it stood. If it had been a Deer, it would have been equally dead. I highly doubt it would have worked at a 100 ,but who knows. I would absolutely expect an accurate x39 to work at double that though. Dangerous game aside, I find the best hunting gun/caliber, is the one that I know inside and out, that I am totally competent with, and have confidence in .. how can it not work.
    veitnamcam and outlander like this.

Thank you all. Plenty to chew on. I'm at about 1.5 inch group at 100m using barnaul 123gr SP. I figured my max range should be about 150 at a push but just wanted some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmatsen View Post
    Thank you all. Plenty to chew on. I'm at about 1.5 inch group at 100m using barnaul 123gr SP. I figured my max range should be about 150 at a push but just wanted some feedback.
    At your intended ranges you are good to go.

My AR15 6.8 SCP has that sort of accuracy, extremely disappointing compared to all my other uppers

But man it is fit for purpose, goat control & bush hunting everything inside 200 is in big trouble, one shot kills are the norm as opposed to mates with 223s...

I was pretty surprised with the accuracy. I picked a Bisley Bushranger up for cheap with a suppressor on it, which, noise wise sounds like an unsuppressed 22 firing mini-mags. So a 1.5" 3 shot group standing, I was pretty happy with it. Just has a 4x32 scope on it, don't think I need anything more than that, do you?
    Micky Duck likes this.

I was mainly curious because I was shooting a 200mm AR500 plate and it was getting smacked pretty part at 100

yip 4x heaps enough for a 150 yard rifle......thats what sits on mine.
    mjmatsen likes this.

4x on my Bushranger too. Seems to do the trick
    mjmatsen likes this.

at 60 yards my subs are 4" lower than supers.....makes it interesting to sight in....wondering if its the whole rear locking action thing at play here ???? settled on subs 1" high at 60 and the supers will be 5" high...not ideal but livable...contemplating having subs 1" low and being done with it....anyone else shot groups with different loads from norinco/bisley???

Quote Originally Posted by mjmatsen View Post
    I was mainly curious because I was shooting a 200mm AR500 plate and it was getting smacked pretty part at 100
    I have noticed that with my 22 250 and the sks, the plate seems to move much more with the 7.62x39 inspite of the two rounds having nearly the same energy in foot pounds. When i use the 4570 the plate nearly does a 360 so foot pounds is obviously not the be all and end all for energy transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    at 60 yards my subs are 4" lower than supers.....makes it interesting to sight in....anyone else shot groups with different loads from norinco/bisley???
    yup getting similar results (give or take) .....windage still bang on just that difference in elevation , mine is a bush rifle only so have it sighted for 50 with subs have a holo sight on it ....if i think i might be scoping out clearings the 6.5 gets a dust off
    Micky Duck likes this.