Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Max ethical range on a 7.62x39 bolt-action for deer

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    And the award for the second most asked question on the forum goes too........
    is a 270 big enough to kill a deer ?
    outlander likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    is a 270 big enough to kill a deer ?
    come on now we all know 270 is the training cal for our daughters to shoot beer bottles off the fence post and that's all.
    Boaraxa, outlander, rewa and 1 others like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Assuming decent hunting projectiles & accuracy easily as far or further than a 223
    So, 150gn Sierra at 2200fps: +4" at 100yds to get a 200yd zero, 15" drop from 200yd to 300yd. Velocity at 200yds 1750fps. Velocity at 300yds 1550. (On a good day)

Rather have a .223 pushing a 50gn Gameking or TTSX.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    So, 150gn Sierra at 2200fps: +4" at 100yds to get a 200yd zero, 15" drop from 200yd to 300yd. Velocity at 200yds 1750fps. Velocity at 300yds 1550. (On a good day)

Rather have a .223 pushing a 50gn Gameking or TTSX.
    I'm not getting into a pissing comp with this, the 7.62 cal generally uses 123 - not 150 & the frontal area/energy makes the 223 with normal weight projectiles look pathetic.

Not many people will use a 223 or 7.62 x 39 effectively at 300, its not its purpose, more like inside 200, way inside..

The 123 in 7.62 x 39 has more energy, frontal area & SD than the 55 in a 223

You need to compare them side by side, in the field, theory, ballistic charts are one thing real life is another

Don't take my word for it ask anyone who has recently-ish hunted two legs as well as four.

ask @Boaraxa he hunts them all haha

Assuming decent hunting projectiles & accuracy easily as far or further than a 223
    Greg just a quick question -ive done a little research and have found published ballistics seem to be very similar to a.303.as i own both a 7.62x39 and the grandaddy .303 whats your thoughts on this. regarding range -well if i cant get within 100m or it looks dubious then its not on!

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Greg just a quick question -ive done a little research and have found published ballistics seem to be very similar to a.303.as i own both a 7.62x39 and the grandaddy .303 whats your thoughts on this. regarding range -well if i cant get within 100m or it looks dubious then its not on!
    There is little difference between the 303 & 308 if you use decent projectiles, brass, powders, action & barrel.

Most of the published data is for old rifles, like the 6.5 x 55 etc

Its a shame in a way that there aren't modern rifles made for the 303, that's what lets it down.

There is little difference between the 303 & 308 if you use decent projectiles, brass, powders, action & barrel.

Most of the published data is for old rifles, like the 6.5 x 55 etc

Its a shame in a way that there aren't modern rifles made for the 303, that's what lets it down.

or modern projectiles. That's the main reason I traded from .303 to 7mm.
    Ahem ! the 7.62x39 actually uses .312 projectiles doesn't it.
    I used 125gr "303" projectiles and my max effective range was 200m with the Brit.

When you look at those ballistics tables, take into account that most projectiles aren't designed to expand under 1800 fps.

I'd test it out on goats gradually increasing the range till you start to get good shots going through with an exit wound less than an inch diameter (2-3 cm ). Then back off by 50m. Practice and experience is the thing. You don't want too much bad experience of course but if you have to track more than 30m after the shot practical lethality is marginal.
    There, numbers pulled out of the air !

@Feral has shot most of his deer with a Mini 30...
    Feral likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    @Feral has shot most of his deer with a Mini 30...
    Yeah, a brilliant bush Calibre and did my meat from 5-100m. but wanting more legs so went 223.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hmmm - the 7.62x39 (and its ballistic twin, 300 Blk) has more energy at any range than a 223. However to "use" that energy for hunting you need to be able to both "place the shot" - which is up to the shooter, and also have the projectile perform correctly and "deliver" that energy to the target.

My comments are in regards to "supersonic" loads . . .

The selection of hunting projectiles available to users of 7.62x39 are somewhat limited, and most may not expand at the lower velocities a 7.62x39 retains at extended ranges.

I suspect that in the USA the number of hunters reloading 7.62x39 is relatively low - driving the limited selection of projectiles. I chose to go the 300 Blk path for that reason.

Manufacturers are just starting to produce projectiles specifically designed for 300 BLK that will expand at the retained velocity you'll see at 200 meters plus (MV of around 2200 or so). The Hornady 125 gn SST is one such projectile, the Speer Gold Dot 150 gn is another (not yet available here, I have some on order).

To the OP's question, I haven't shot any deer with my 300 Blk yet, however my self imposed limit from what I have learnt from shooting it so far is that Deer and larger game need to be within 180 Meters unless carefully ranged and dialed to give exact shot placement, and I'd shoot lighter game at 200M or maybe just a bit further in ideal conditions. I've shot Fallow at around 250M with a 223 in the past, however I don't think (hope really) I'd have tried the same shots on (bigger) Redskins, and if I had the result may have been disappointing, not to mention unethical.
    outlander and Preacher like this.

Reds up to 100-120m depending on size and if rutting or not, anything smaller 150m tops for myself.

Personally only carry the x39 for bush hunting so more than 50-60m is mostly moot.

Primo and underrated bush cartridge but won't push out 200-250m if you find a shot on a slip at that range. Im sure the round will still be effective at that range (within limitations) but it in my opinion would definitely not be a humane shot.

However it is a cartridge I am still learning/experimenting with so my opinions are only my own.

Edit: I only run a short barrel and a red dot or iron sights so take that into consideration.
    Last edited by Preacher; 25-08-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Bourbon

#bush-hobbit gang.

Or maybe #39 gang?
    Max Headroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Virtually no recoil you say ????? what 270 are you shooting ???
    mine is not what I would call un managable but certainly gives much more solid boot than my old 308 and I would say is on par with my old 7mm rem mag
    I certainly woould not call it a light recoil option
    Heard of 'tongue in cheek' before. I was merely going along with what 2post started. Apologies.
    2post likes this.