Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Temiro Ballot

Temiro Ballot

Hey team, managed to pull a ballot this year for te miro, anyone on here able to shed any light/local knowledge on the block? Never been In temiro before, guessing first light on around the fencelines. And expecting it being still loud under foot in early March, any info appreciated cheers chris

Gone but not forgotten
    I haven't been in Te Miro but have spent a lot of time in one of the other blocks.
    It's always very noisy, and will be even worse now with no decent rain since early December, but it works both ways as I usually hear the deer before seeing them.
    No hunting Nov-Feb, so early March there should be a few around that haven't been hunted for a while, depending how much hunting gets done on the surrounding farmland.
    The bucks seem to use the same scrapes every year, and early on several bucks seem to visit the same scrape, the youngsters and females play with them too. The bucks seem to have a thing for thrashing small silver ferns as well.

Relief milked on a few farms around Te Tapui and it wont be any different over the other side, all the deer drink from the cockies troughs.

Hunted te miro for 10 years or so,managed to get access at the top of the road past the public access,it's the lefthand drive try asking them I found more animals on the Nor western fringes be there before day light

There is a scrape about 200m in from the public access on the left side before hitting the stream on the 260m height mark. The paddock below was in kale on year and in maize the next and certainly brought in the buggers. But haven't been in there for 3 years so unsure whats happening. Certainly saw more cats and peacocks than deer ...

Can confirm, very dry under foot in the area right now. It would be very hard to be quiet

Gone but not forgotten
    Yeah, good rain a few weeks ago but almost zilch since. I have one of the blocks this weekend, looks like wait and watch will be way to go, which is probably a good thing as my fitness is shite this year.

Just walk in an old pair of socks. It will cut the noise down by as much as 70% by my estimates. There are deer in there (seen a few), first light you might get onto them, and they wont be far away from farm fringes.