Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Thermalling deer

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Glad you edited your post, because I was referring to the recent (last 12 months) addition:

Attachment 50731
    Look at condition 5.I know a bloke who is hunting in the local park. He wears a small but heavily modded head torch.He smacked over 5 deer walking into huts last week.All the deer are on the walking tracks. No bush stalking.Asked him if he would think about thermal gear. His response. WHY? I get more this way without even trying.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Look at condition 5.I know a bloke who is hunting in the local park. He wears a small but heavily modded head torch.He smacked over 5 deer walking into huts last week.All the deer are on the walking tracks. No bush stalking.Asked him if he would think about thermal gear. His response. WHY? I get more this way without even trying.
    Wow, please tell me this isn'ton doc land.
    Dougie, ebf, BRADS and 2 others like this.

Have used a thermal for identifying animals and then putting the torch on them. With me particular instance there is no way to misidentification target, unless it's a person with 4 legs with there head in the grass and looking up even few minutes... This is on private land so legal. Have used this out to 150-200m using the thermal allows me to wait for a good shot before turning the torch on which will then spook the animal.
    Zamkiwi and Huk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    I have borrowed a thermal for finding rabbits, then putting a spotlight on them to shoot. fantastic bit of kit and the farmer was blown away by out vastly higher then normal tally. If I could afford one I would always carry one
    Man that sounds fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

[QUOTE=Dougie;480369]What makes you say that? My old flatmate had one and I looked at everything through it and the novelty didn't wear off. Interesting how different materials retained heat (cool looking back at the house and the Windows pumping out the heat) and did you also know that a dogs butt hole is the hottest bit of it??!!!

I'm not sure how people could only use that experience 3-4 times a year

A large number of hunters just don't get out that often in a year.
    Then chuck in the expense of the unit plus battery life and lugging it around.
    Nor does every hunter enjoy sitting and watching for deer style of hunting.
    Some people were questioning the ethics of it and I was pushing that in my eyes as long as it is not at night on public land it is not much of a threat to the deer population as you may spot them but you still have to get in for a shot.

Also Dougie are you saying that on a cold winters night we should be cuddling the dogs ass?
    Love walking my gun

There already uses for the, as well as hunting, get out the caulking gun on a cold night and find all the leaks in the walls and windows frames! Have heard of someone working out which muffins are freshest in a cage! But yeah they are an expensive toy if you don't rely on it for a business

res
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    There already uses for the, as well as hunting, get out the caulking gun on a cold night and find all the leaks in the walls and windows frames! Have heard of someone working out which muffins are freshest in a cage! But yeah they are an expensive toy if you don't rely on it for a business
    The one we used is owed by a company that assess insulation

Using Tapatalk

I had a play with one in Wilsons hunting in Wanganui, bloody cool little unit, could see where people had been walking as their footprints left heat. Would love to have a play with one out hunting. It would make it bloody easy to nail pests at night, find where possums/peacocks are in the trees etc. Bloody expensive toy though.

Using it for shooting deer is a bit mean spirited, but whatever floats your boat.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I reckon they'd also be bloody useful down the pub to determine which chicks are hot for it.
    Timmay, res and Huk like this.

@GWH also lets you know how many layers they are wearing and where...
    Huk likes this.

Thermalling deer

I have one in front of me now.
    Do I use it yes, almost daily
    Would I use it to shoot deer no.
    Is it awesome for locating animals? Yes.
    It's amazing how many you miss with the binoculars.
    There's no way you can mistake anything as a deer with this high end gear.
    Another tool in the pack really.

Cheat!

Thermalling deer

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Cheat!
    I new someone would say that.
    It's Why I hadn't posted.
    Each to there own
    This is private land, and finding deer is my job everyday at the moment so call me lazy.
    I do try to not use it, it only comes out when I'm struggling, example 5 guys that can't shoot bombing everything up, 4 deer down 440pm one deer to find none of the usual posies producing out comes mr Thermal.

sako75, Dougie and 10-Ring like this.

What model is that Brads.

thermal scopes are a huge jump up in price compared to handhelds, there is a reason behind this on the forum somewhere. pros and cons of both, guess it depends what you are using it for