Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Thermalling deer

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I new someone would say that.
    It's Why I hadn't posted.
    Each to there own
    This is private land, and finding deer is my job everyday at the moment so call me lazy.
    I do try to not use it, it only comes out when I'm struggling, example 5 guys that can't shoot bombing everything up, 4 deer down 440pm one deer to find none of the usual posies producing out comes mr Thermal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Question for you Brads, do they clearly show animals during the day light as well and if so does it also pick them up in thick bush ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    does it also pick them up in thick bush ?
    im interested in this

mine works in daylight but you get better contrast from the heat of the animal the colder the environment is. cant see through much, a thin layer of light foliage is ok but cant see past 5m into thick scrub. thats only my experience with the flir

Thermalling deer

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    Question for you Brads, do they clearly show animals during the day light as well and if so does it also pick them up in thick bush ?
    Yes very clearly.
    I mainly use it in the day to find those animals on the fringes of the bush about to feed out.
    Yes at ranges under 1000 I can clearly tell weather I'm looking at a cow deer or sheep standing in the bush
    It likes cooler faces better but at this time of year it doesn't seem to matter.
    In the summer it's use would be very limited from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for that, now just to convince Phillepo the buy one for an old man, yeah right

sounds like brads is quite a bit better than mine

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    sounds like brads is quite a bit better than mine
    Yes I compared the Flir with the pulsar range...Pulsar came out ahead on most fronts.

The good thing for me is that it's a tax right off as I can use it for my job!?
    Shows up where heating pipes and under floor heating cable runs in floors and walls.
    Very handy.
    Good on Muntjac and other we pests in the uk

Anyone got a handheld in chch I could have a look through. Just random stuff like neighbours garage roof, how would they light up a 600w mh light through tin? Hypothetically of course, bludging bum must be doing something in the wee hours for cig and car money....

The one I got to play with in cni bush picked up a man's outline at 50my through qunite heavy bush. Certainly couldn't see him. Wonder how that would go at distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    The one I got to play with in cni bush picked up a man's outline at 50my through qunite heavy bush. Certainly couldn't see him. Wonder how that would go at distance?
    And you still think people are going to get shot using them? Didn't you just make your own case for using them?

To answer your question tho of the ones I have used if they are suitable to use bush hunting(0-low mag wide field of view) they will detect to about 500y in the open a lot less in light cover.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nowhere did I state that I think that at all VC. Having not looked through one at long range I can't say how accurate the image would be. Perhaps others can?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Nowhere did I state that I think that at all VC. Having not looked through one at long range I can't say how accurate the image would be. Perhaps others can?
    Sorry that is how your opening post reads to me.

At long range you are basicly looking at a blob which you then identify with binos.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah sorry I see how I could have been taken that way, as the way I put it was pure sensationalism. I should have been a journalist for stuff.co.nz

I should have been more precise and asked how safe is it , and how are they for target identification at long distance?

If your using it as an aid for target identification along with bins scope and the seven FAC rules, then I can't seeing it being an issue.
    Let's face it why would you try to shoot through heavy cover at an image that you have not fully identified.

Because that is just it, it's an image!

If it's heavy cover it would also be unethical to squeeze the trigger.
    As there would be no way that you could know that your bullet would not be deflected away from the zital kill zones.

From what I've read here the bulk of hunters are using it as an aid to find deer that are not in plain view.
    This is how I would see my self using it.
    Stalking through bush up scan no heat seen, move to next spot look up scan no heat move.
    Or find an advantage point and then scan.
    Now if it was a thermal scope it would be tempting to shoot but at long range you would not be able to tell if there were obstructions in the road.

this is exactly what i thought too. No point trying to shoot thru bush - it would actually be a great safety benefit to have one as it would probably eliminate two hunters ever stalking each other (think Roar season) as I'm pretty certain the images would look different for a bloke compared to a deer.
    Dougie and Steve123 like this.