Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Thompsons track condition

Went up the first creek yesterday not realizing I was on the first forestry block, quickly made my way out of there into the bush of the second creek. If you do have permission to be on that forestry clearing there was some fresh sign up by the Road, that joker who lives north of the first creek and has the road up the forestry block must have no shortage of Venison in his fridge. Anyway sidling round the face of the bush, back in the hunting block there was some good game trails and more fresh sign, worked my way up to another clearing (through bloody gorse) and had a good look over the two small saddles north of Motutapere but nothing was feeding on those, sidled further round that face might have heard something spook off in the flax, got onto another set of game trails heading up to the top, as well as a fence attached to trees but decided to follow the trails down hill. not the best idea but bashed, fell crept my way down to the waterfall by where the Track turns back on itself heading up towards the lower plantation/Pa sight. The faces were dry and noisy as hell (def something I need to work on if I'm going to get some success up there). was a decent 5hr recy and great way to kick off a Sunday morning probably better off spent at the beach. Hope this is helpful for anyone else exploring up there. Will put up some photos this evening.
    BruceY likes this.

Thanks for the photos Spook,brilliant views from the skid site. Reminded me of hunting in the Kaimais years ago.

I always find that footprints make a pretty thin stew
    StagRyan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StagRyan View Post
    Went up the first creek yesterday not realizing I was on the first forestry block, quickly made my way out of there into the bush of the second creek. If you do have permission to be on that forestry clearing there was some fresh sign up by the Road, that joker who lives north of the first creek and has the road up the forestry block must have no shortage of Venison in his fridge. Anyway sidling round the face of the bush, back in the hunting block there was some good game trails and more fresh sign, worked my way up to another clearing (through bloody gorse) and had a good look over the two small saddles north of Motutapere but nothing was feeding on those, sidled further round that face might have heard something spook off in the flax, got onto another set of game trails heading up to the top, as well as a fence attached to trees but decided to follow the trails down hill. not the best idea but bashed, fell crept my way down to the waterfall by where the Track turns back on itself heading up towards the lower plantation/Pa sight. The faces were dry and noisy as hell (def something I need to work on if I'm going to get some success up there). was a decent 5hr recy and great way to kick off a Sunday morning probably better off spent at the beach. Hope this is helpful for anyone else exploring up there. Will put up some photos this evening.
    Well mate, you maybe in the shit...when the owner of that block or any of his friends see those photos you may be getting trespassed...the only thing you didn't take a photo of was the sign telling you not to be there...private land is exactly that, private...i would suggest you have the photos removed...if not then i am obligated, as a neighbour to bring it to the owners attention...getting labelled as a poacher on a forum is not a good look...there is something like 88,000 hectares of DoC land in the area, stick to that.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Well mate, you maybe in the shit...when the owner of that block or any of his friends see those photos you may be getting trespassed...the only thing you didn't take a photo of was the sign telling you not to be there...private land is exactly that, private...i would suggest you have the photos removed...if not then i am obligated, as a neighbour to bring it to the owners attention...getting labelled as a poacher on a forum is not a good look...there is something like 88,000 hectares of DoC land in the area, stick to that.
    Thanks Spook, Unfortunately I can no longer edit or delete the post, but as I said to you in private email the point of my post was to highlight how the first creek is not the access to the hunting block.

Made a classic rookie mistake and was wanting to post so that others new to hunting and the area did not make the same mistake. The first river seen on the permit is the one around the bend further that runs up the south boarder of this forestry block which I wrongfully crossed. As I stated in my post when I realised this, I was quick smart out of there and into the native bush. As I also stated going into here should be with the permission of the land owner who, has good reason to pick and chose who he gives permission to, especially with that house right there (Always check your firing zone).

As I said to you spook, not to defend my stuff up, but it'd be cool if there was a sign at that river stating "this river leads to private land so keep on walking fella", but a careful look at the permit and the map should also rule out getting off the permitted area. Lesson well and truly learnt.
    Wanderer likes this.

I would have thought that under our law, it was very difficult to be trespassed travelling up or down a river....who knows if that still applies..?

Went to the very top clearing up above where the North South carries on North into the bush, Sat overlooking it as well as back towards the 100 acre with the North South Track on it, as well as a few slips up in the bush across the river and over to the opposing ridge where I think the Mt Eliza mine track heads down from 6 o'clock on wards, then was up at 4:30 looking over the clearing and nothing showed. About 7 o'clock yesterday morning I went for a wonder up into the guts of the clearing and sure enough there was fresh sign and trails through the wet grass just in behind the bushes that had been blocking my view.

From here I went for a wonder up to the Motutapere hut, That last major river that you have to walk down into I could hear a deer sidling round above me no doubt off to the head of the creek for a drink as it was bloody barmy. Had a cuppa at the hut and headed back.

The state of the North South track doesn't do much to inspire getting off trail though there were patches of better looking bush and a few good game trails along some of the creek edges.

Was one shot at 8:30, Then heard another at 10:12 from the forestry clearing, walking down in the morning it appeared to be a possum that they got. a third shot around 11 from towards Katikati woke me up so some people out spot lighting.