Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Tips for traveling in thick bush

cally woo

Tips for traveling in thick bush

Hi guys,

Trying to enter a lot of bush lately (haha)

But seriously... I find myself getting exhausted by ducking and weaving, and overexerting myself only to find I've moved 500 metres on my map. Being tall doesn't help either. Any tips for covering distance in the bush?

North island if that helps

Whereabouts? What type of bush?
    Avoid the thick shit.
    Usually ridges are a bit easier to travel along.
    Moa Hunter and Longrun like this.

Always try to know where you are. Last thing you want to do is bushcrash through some thick shit and go off a bluff. Take a topo map and compass even if your GPSing it.

Electric chainsaws do the trick.

Graf Bros old hunters trick. Bend a branch over every few feet and leave your trail that way.

cally woo
    Yeah I use a gps and compass and plb etc. Taranaki/Whanganui low altitude bush if that means anything, I'm still pretty fresh

Gone but not forgotten
    I'm always constantly looking for the most open pathway/game trail for the next few metres heading in the direction I want to go.

500m is a long way in thick bush.

The key to moving through thick bush, specially supplejack, kiekie, windfalls and broompole beech is practice. The more you've done of it the better you get at avoiding it. The GPS and compass are your friends: you don't have to follow straight up the crest of a spur or along any easy to navigate landform, because you can always get yourself back onto the route or location you want to visit. You can follow little runs of more open bush and often there is a much easier way on a scale of 10 or 20m. Very thick patches of supplejack are often only 10m across and around it is relatively easier going.

Be aware that it always appears more open looking up hill because the subcanopy starts about eye level and you are looking under it, while downhill you're looking onto the tops of ferns and bushes and can't see the ground. It's an optical illusion but can draw you into gradually climbing and exerting more energy than you meant to. If you intend to sidle, always take the opportunity to go the low track if there's a choice.

Supplejacks grow more on ridges than in gullies. Apart from waterfalls, gulches and greasy banks which you well have plenty of in the naki, going can often be easier in the gullies because the trees are just taller. This specially applies in second growth bush. Sunny spots in light gaps and river flats are good for deer and goats but much thicker vegetation-wise than under tall canopy.

Next is to have a low pack, like a pikau that is streamlined and doesn't catch on vines and branches behind your head. Ones that sit up and carry the load high are ergonomic for open country but not in the bush.

Carry your rifle in your hand, not strapped to your pack or slung over shoulder.

Fitness helps too, specially static and core strength rather than aerobic running/cycling. Chinups, pressups and lunges. Perhaps some flexibility but you don't use as lot really.

Balance and moving slowly and in control is whats needed in thick bush, rather than rhythm and bounce.

Then, practice and more practice and you will start to wonder where the thick bush was.

Having experienced this just today (2 hours for the last 300m) my main tip is hug the top of the spur/ridge and don't let yourself be moved down the spur/ridge (like me) unless you're stalking or else you'll enter supplejack hell and fall on your rifle.
    I used Nz topo maps and bought the pro version today and found it great to check how badly I was off piste and marking sign, locations of spooked deer etc.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    cally woo likes this.

Jus
    Pre plan a route based on satellite and maps.. move faster when there’s no sign around. Look ahead as much as you can to see what’s coming and slink around thicker stuff through holes or openings that you see ahead of you. A silky saw or some loppers come in handy, trimming a track as you go for next. Bit by bit and then al you need to do is maintain it with a pair of secateurs. I’m an ex pig hunter so I just bull doze shit, but then again I hunt the tops so the bush is only a means to get up into the open haha
    Moa Hunter and cally woo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    500m is a long way in thick bush.

The key to moving through thick bush, specially supplejack, kiekie, windfalls and broompole beech is practice. The more you've done of it the better you get at avoiding it. The GPS and compass are your friends: you don't have to follow straight up the crest of a spur or along any easy to navigate landform, because you can always get yourself back onto the route or location you want to visit. You can follow little runs of more open bush and often there is a much easier way on a scale of 10 or 20m. Very thick patches of supplejack are often only 10m across and around it is relatively easier going.
    This is good advice; direct is not always best.

Another trick: keep an eye out for big native trees as generally it won't be as thick under them. I look ahead for them wherever possible (highpoint, window in the bush) if I'm in thick stuff.

You can also use satellite images to find the bush with big natives (its a different color and texture to manuka, scrub, etc) or less thick stuff. If I'm doing a recce or know I'll be in thick stuff, I scroll over the area I'm going to hunt on google maps at the closest zoom before I go. It downloads the maps and they'll be there even on airplane mode. If it gets bad I use the maps to try and find easier bits like big natives or clearings, less thick shit.

Good luck
    cally woo likes this.

One bit of advice I give everyone new navigating the bush is that the thick shit (Northern side of ridge) is where you should avoid if you intend to travel quickly and quietly. The southern sides will be in the darker areas and way more open for fast traveling and have less vegetation. Good for making plans to hit tracks or get to your next hunting area fast.

But, where are the deer you ask? 9/10 they are in the thick shit where the best food and cover is.

Oh, and if you can, hunt in some old socks. Way more stealthy.
    Last edited by Rusky; 24-01-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    Moa Hunter and camenzie like this.

My only bush experience is central NI hunting and this is what I find.

Even in thick bush the spurs / ridges are usually open enough to get through without too much trouble. The thickest stuff tends to be down the bottom of gullies so watch you're not heading down into impassable thick stuff as it can be easy to do if you're not paying attention.

Some game trails do go into the thick stuff but more often than not they actually don't and you can follow them.

Spent alot of time in some bush that's far worse than you'd find between the legs of our outgoing PM when possuming albeit with creepy crawlies.

Couple of key points: use one hand to grab shit and that way if you fall over you've got something that should hold you're weight and make it easier to get back up with.

When walking where you can't see you're feet, push you're legs through without raising you're feet too far off the ground and do it slowly that way you won't try walk through a hidden log(colorful language always follows).

Try and bend over and get as low to the ground hunched up. Probably not the best for you're back but it prevents the hang upside fairly well.

If you can follow the game trails as their natural highways.
    Rusky and Moa Hunter like this.

man,you fellas make me laugh...I live in the thick shit,its where the deer are. SLOW DOWN. follow deer trails,if there is no deer trail to follow..ask yourself WTF am I doing here???look 5-10 yards ahead and pick path of least resistance,move the 5 yards and look again,you SHOULD be looking all around all the time anyway,thats why its called bush stalking..... and siccateers are great,in a sheath on hip is good.slow down...when you start to stumble or get noisy. stop and have a brew,preferably somewhere with a bit of visibility...even stopping for sip of water from bottle and munch on jelly jet plane 3-4 minutes rest will also calm down the birdlife around you. then slowly get up LOOK ALL AROUND and move off slowly,looking all around. most guys will tell you of getting up from a mini break and spooking deer,I know Ive done it more than once. a track up/down/across through a way you often travel will make your life oh so much easier,bend over fern fronds so shiney side up and yo uwil lsee where youve gone. one of the best methods to mark a trail Ive used was sack sewing thread.1400mtr roll. it lasted for 4 years and most people traveling in same direction ended up using my trail so it stayed open...am currently working to re-establish that track again,its still there but 5 years of neglect is showing,doesnt take many big windfalls to sto pyou going in desired direction. slow down
    your in the bush to enjoy the day,slow down..the deer have no where else to be,slow down.
    dont fight the vegetation and contours..just slow down,chil out and go with it..it is what it is,other than cutting a track you can do nothing about it so dont stress about it..and if you are going down a deer trail on a spur towards a steep bit/bluff/creek and deer trail dissapears..LOOK OUT AND BE CAREFUL... they went in another direction for a reason....consider doing the same.
    tetawa, rugerman, mattstr and 8 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters