Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Track times TeIringa - Kaipo-Kaipo saddle

Track times TeIringa - Kaipo-Kaipo saddle

Hoping you guys can give me some idea of walking times for the following tracks - thinking of taking a couple young ones into this part of the kaimanawas.
    1.Te Iringa car park - Kaipo junction
    2. Kaipo Junction to Kaipo Saddle (what’s track like?)

Also who has MTB from car park to Junction, and how long would a slow rider take? I may look at this option too.

Hopefully also hunt the Kaipo for a day or two with some newbies/kids

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above.

I am guessing the quickest way to the swing bridge is coming from North not from Omaru hut/poronui?

Te Iringa car park - Kaipo junction took me about 3.5hrs in Feb this year to walked in and about 4.5 back.. the slog back out was tough after a few days hunting, but I was/am pretty unfit.

I wouldnt want to ride it on MTBs, in places its ok but there would be a fair bit of hike a bike on the ups

I went about 2/3rds the way up to the saddle, river travel was fine. Some nice camp sites and swimming holes near the swing bridge.

Yep quickest way is the from the te iringa carpark, allow 4 hours to the swingbridge. How many days do you have up your sleeve?

I live down south now but that area is still my all time favourite. Miss hunting there so much.
    Sika stag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika stag View Post
    I am guessing the quickest way to the swing bridge is coming from North not from Omaru hut/poronui?
    I did this on the very first trip in to Oamaru in summer leaving Auckland early morning and walking through Poronui. Turned back at dark from swing bridge after spooking a hind and yearling. I was a tired lad on arrival back to the hut.

Was also the same day a Helisika chopper crashed near us, and my mate reckons he heard the blades hitting the trees (sounded like rapid gunshots).
    Last edited by Rusky; 21-11-2022 at 05:15 PM.

Have run into mountain bikers riding in from the Te Iringa carpark who had taken 2 hrs to get to where it takes me 1hr to walk to, they looked fairly fit as well.
    Sika stag likes this.

I did Te Iringa Car park up to the old hut site for a couple of nights camping end of Feb. Allow between 1-2 hours. as it's just under 3 km to the camp site.
    Lots of deer, got whistled at in the tent fly several times both nights.
    Some good bush hunting or stop and wait places not far from the camp site. we spooked several and saw 1 over a 7 hr bush wander.
    Z
    Sika stag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted6. 5 View Post
    Have run into mountain bikers riding in from the Te Iringa carpark who had taken 2 hrs to get to where it takes me 1hr to walk to, they looked fairly fit as well.
    Getting along the top and down the hill would take 30 mins on a bike though apart form the couple of scrambly bits

opps re checked and the distance was closer to 4km and 330mtr climb.
    Z
    We came across a group of MTB's. Talking with them and having done a lot of MTB rides myself many years ago I would say that for an experienced rider it would not be a hard ride and they would only be walking small sections.
    For an inexperienced rider I would suggest they would be safer to walk.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 24-11-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Was in there a couple weeks ago, Tracks good and a pretty easy walk to the swing Bridge. I made the tiki tiki campsite in pretty much 3 hours, swing Bridge isn't far from there. Bit more of a slog going back, took me about 3 hours 45 mins with a load of meat on and a pack full of soaking wet gear.

Cool area and plenty of spots to keep you busy around the swing Bridge if you don't want to hike all the way up to the saddle
    Sika stag and Chur Bay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I made the tiki tiki campsite in pretty much 3 hours

Cool area and plenty of spots to keep you busy around the swing Bridge if you don't want to hike all the way up to the saddle
    have a look at the oahu (spelling) saddle area if i was a reputable sika thats where i would be traversing to and from poronui..........

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    have a look at the oahu (spelling) saddle area if i was a reputable sika thats where i would be traversing to and from poronui..........
    Ohaoko saddle is the spot I meant
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Was in there a couple weeks ago, Tracks good and a pretty easy walk to the swing Bridge. I made the tiki tiki campsite in pretty much 3 hours, swing Bridge isn't far from there. Bit more of a slog going back, took me about 3 hours 45 mins with a load of meat on and a pack full of soaking wet gear.

Agree. The status of section from swing bridge to saddle was changed from 'track' to 'route' quite some years ago. Main difference is that it no longer gets any maintenance from DoC.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Ohaoko saddle is the spot I meant
    facts^