Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Tree bark peeled off question

Have seen a lot of bark stripping in the past two years. Red deer. Nothing else about. Caught on camera doing it. In areas I go is happening more and more and coinciding with a noticeable increase in population. Am sure it happens in low population too, but the deer are in poor condition and the palatables are not plentiful. Central North Island mostly. Deer populations in the bush are growing and everyone seems to be hunting open country with dial ups these days. For deer to be consistent in the open there are a shite load more in cover. Like the man said about rabbits. For every one above ground, there are ten below. Sell your WSMs and Edges and go bush young hunter.
    Moa Hunter, kbrebs and Strummer like this.

This was the same young tree. Good info Woody

I have seen bark chewed a lot like this in various forests. Wineberry is a favorite during winter when food is short. I have heard that there is a higher sugar content that attracts the deer and goats. My bet is deer as there aren't any goats in the areas I have seen it but both do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Jacko! Seen a lot up Inwoods,cross the face where the power goes up and along the road.
    Set 12 traps for 9
    veitnamcam and Strummer like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Jacko! Seen a lot up Inwoods,cross the face where the power goes up and along the road.
    Set 12 traps for 9
    I don't believe old poss is doing that, more likely deer. Recently saw a young pine looking just like that pic, it was fallow deer. Whiteywood in the same area was really bark-stripped and broken, and no goats in the area.
    Strummer likes this.

Classic down here is 5 finger the reds smash it around may its loaded with sugar they strip every bit of bark they can reach , the juice turns to a clear jelly an inch thick , some spots you cannot find a 5 finger that has not been eaten .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Original picture is a Coprosma grandifolia (Kanono), it's highly palatable and probably not well recognised by hunters on account of it being heavily browsed. I see this bark biting often, particularly of grandifolia in the Mamaku

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    I don't believe old poss is doing that, more likely deer. Recently saw a young pine looking just like that pic, it was fallow deer. Whiteywood in the same area was really bark-stripped and broken, and no goats in the area.
    Twenty feet up!
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Twenty feet up!
    Hell the deer must be huge over there madjon

those are pate leaves and deer give the bark a hard time in the winter early spring,,eaten bark looks slightly purplish

Pate (seven finger) looks quite different but definitely gets heavy browse

Edit: Actually I realise that was probably referring to the pictures of the bark and not the foliage haha, the true topic... In which case, ignore
    Last edited by joelhenton; 16-11-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    Original picture is a Coprosma grandifolia (Kanono), it's highly palatable and probably not well recognised by hunters on account of it being heavily browsed. I see this bark biting often, particularly of grandifolia in the Mamaku
    you are right sir its a grandifolia