Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Urgent Advice - Would you buy this 4WD?

I would actually spread your net wider. You do not need to stay with Toyota, Nissan. Have had six 4x4s in last 20 or so years, including couple of Toyotas and a Nissan - and they were not the best. They make some good trucks but you have to judge each model/motor on its merits. Example - the 1GR-FE 4.0 petrol mentioned above is a well regarded donk, but the 1KZ is not. Further - paying $25-35k for a 2000-2008 truck is not necessarily your best value.

One truck I like is the Isuzu D-Max. Good sturdy running gear and a truck sourced 3.0 motor. It is not a recent turbo'd up 2.0 or 2.2 as in later toyotas or rangers. Good reliable rep in Aus where they are used alot, and also known to be sturdy offroad where many modern 4x4s aren't. 2021 truck of the year in Aus - where Ranger having ongoing probs with transmission etc, and Toyota subject to big class action lawsuit for mechanical unreliability - including DPF etc. Point is - this D-Max also is available in full cabin form as the Isuzu Mu-X. Same motor, same strong drivetrain, good comfort, but this is a modern 2015 onwards vehicle. And they are just becoming available on market here in the mid to high $30k price range with under 200ks. That's a good truck - and that's good value. If buying now I'd be looking hard at this model. You are bound to find occasional issues with every model, but this one pans out well in large number reviews. An example:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...7?bof=svH4lK2M

Something to think about...
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I would actually spread your net wider. You do not need to stay with Toyota, Nissan. Have had six 4x4s in last 20 or so years, including couple of Toyotas and a Nissan - and they were not the best. They make some good trucks but you have to judge each model/motor on its merits. Example - the 1GR-FE 4.0 petrol mentioned above is a well regarded donk, but the 1KZ is not. Further - paying $25-35k for a 2000-2008 truck is not necessarily your best value.

One truck I like is the Isuzu D-Max. Good sturdy running gear and a truck sourced 3.0 motor. It is not a recent turbo'd up 2.0 or 2.2 as in later toyotas or rangers. Good reliable rep in Aus where they are used alot, and also known to be sturdy offroad where many modern 4x4s aren't. 2021 truck of the year in Aus - where Ranger having ongoing probs with transmission etc, and Toyota subject to big class action lawsuit for mechanical unreliability - including DPF etc. Point is - this D-Max also is available in full cabin form as the Isuzu Mu-X. Same motor, same strong drivetrain, good comfort, but this is a modern 2015 onwards vehicle. And they are just becoming available on market here in the mid to high $30k price range with under 200ks. That's a good truck - and that's good value. If buying now I'd be looking hard at this model. You are bound to find occasional issues with every model, but this one pans out well in large number reviews. An example:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...7?bof=svH4lK2M

Something to think about...
    Boom… something to think about indeed. Nice one… looking now. Thanks again for your time, as well as the other guys. Helping us hugely. I cant belive how good the comminity is here… it is great.

Cheers,
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcho View Post
    Boom… something to think about indeed. Nice one… looking now. Thanks again for your time, as well as the other guys. Helping us hugely. I cant belive how good the comminity is here… it is great.

Cheers,
    Mitch
    I'd second the MU-X comment, Ive had two (2015 & 2019) and now a D-max for work and I cant rate it them highly enough. I'm in Apiculture and have towed some heavy weight & climbed some pretty shitty off road stuff and never had an issue. Very comfortable wagon on road too, you'd be much happier tripping round the country in a MU then a 10 year old anything. Your missus would thank you for it!! Back seats fold proper flat too so in real shitty weather you could bunk down in the back happy as.

Yes. Here's another example of the Isuzu Mu-X, the D-Max with full body cabin and comforts. 2015 with just 100ks on the clock for 37,995. Now that's value for a good truck with very modern comforts, modern tech etc. That Isuzu 3.0 is a commercial truck motor and well regarded. Bargain seller down a couple of k or get a 3 year full warranty thrown in and you're away..

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...5?bof=BV7btFoH

This is much better value proposition than an older Toyota or TD42 etc ... and I know those trucks. Some of them very over-priced today.

Naki - tell us about the Mu-X. Good reviews, nice traveller, excellent donk, D-Max running gear. Quite keen on one..

Nice… we are having a good look at the Isuzus now. Hoping to hear back about a D Max ute in our area for a viewing. 32k with 190ks on the clock… seems to be owned by a builder.

Any thoughts on what would be a more practical tourer and off roader between the D Max and MU X?

We are supposed to be viewing a petrol Prado this arv, but the comment above about them fucking out around water is a worry. Im not taking us submarining any time soon, but Id hate to think if we had to splash through some puddles we’d run into issues…

Cheers,
    Mitch

No real difference offroad between D-Max and Mu-X. Ute might have more rear departure angle overhang, while Mu-X might sit slightly lower with bigger side bars/steps... Might. You'd have to look. Otherwise same truck and drivetrain. Question of purpose really. If its a worker vehicle carrying stuff etc then D-Max. If its a driver for comfort and travels esp with more than 2 people then Mu-X. Just go look at and drive both - that'll tell you. Friend has a 2019 D-Max with 25k now and loves it. Very economical on road and plenty of zip with I think 6 spd auto? and 175hp.

It is a good idea to differentiate between brand marketing and actual product performance. Often heaps of marketing around a name brand eg 'toyota tough', but some models anything but. Same with rifles of course - you can pay $2+k for a latest ruger precision 22LR setup and its not too precision at all. Or be told you need a flash $3000 centrefire with a Schmidt & Bender on it to shoot 0.5" groups at 100m and wallabies at 250m. Oh no you don't. Good to look for the value performance options.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I bet the lady owner was also the local vicars wife
    That’s virgin on ridiculous
    mudgripz, tetawa, rugerman and 2 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_L_engine#3L
    The 3L is a 2.8 L (2,779 cc) four-cylinder diesel engine.
    You need to stop chiming in on every bloody subject that pops up on the forum like you are an expert on everything. The Prado of that vintage doesn't have an engine with the engine code '3L'. The 3-litre turbo diesel it does come with is the 1KZ-TE.
    6x47, superdiver, Dorkus and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcho View Post
    Nice… we are having a good look at the Isuzus now. Hoping to hear back about a D Max ute in our area for a viewing. 32k with 190ks on the clock… seems to be owned by a builder.

Any thoughts on what would be a more practical tourer and off roader between the D Max and MU X?

We are supposed to be viewing a petrol Prado this arv, but the comment above about them fucking out around water is a worry. Im not taking us submarining any time soon, but Id hate to think if we had to splash through some puddles we’d run into issues…

Cheers,
    Mitch
    As stated on other threads, we had a 2017 manual d-max. Loved it. It towed our caravan 5500 km round the Sth island recently and returned approx 10.5 litres/100 km during the two month trip. A couple of months ago we traded it on the 6 speed auto runout mu-x. Got our money back on the Ute after adding 42300 kms to it. It’s got the same running gear as d-max except has coil rear springs, so is softer to ride in. Towing ability is reduced from 3.5 t to 3 t.
    The d-max canopy let in dust round rear glass. Most canopies do. Storage was brilliant, but as a double cab, you would not sleep in the tray unless tailgate down. It’s obvious the mu-x has less internal carrying capacity, but it’s not a worry. I’d take the current vehicle the same places we did with Ute version (Mt Patriarch, Altimarloch, Rainbow/Molesworth, Old Dunstan Trail, Old Man Range, Borland Rd, Nevis etc. As stated by other contributors, the drivetrain is truck based with a record of longevity. The motor is only 130 Kw and nowhere as zippy as my neighbours new two litre twin turbo Ranger. Motor sounds a lot harsher under acceleration due to older technology, but we’re very happy to have bought another Isuzu. They’re popular in Aus and I’m pretty sure some East European services (eg Polish SAR) favour them. FWIW, the dealer shaved $12209 off rrp, threw in a full set of rubber mats, monsoons, towbar, 2000 ruc and free-fitted the electric brake control unit from the Ute. I think the mu-x will see me out.
    mudgripz and rugerman like this.

Its just an honest mis-interpretation guys...

3L is engine model commonly referred to as 2.8 found in alot of early 90 hiluxs
    can also be referred as..

3L as in 3 litre or 3000cc

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    Its just an honest mis-interpretation guys...

3L is engine model commonly referred to as 2.8 found in alot of early 90 hiluxs
    can also be referred as..

3L as in 3 litre or 3000cc
    Yes, the difference is I own one of the vehicles in question with the exact same motor, which is a 3.0 Litre turbo diesel (the 1KZ-TE), the other expert on everything clearly doesnt know shit from wild honey and therefore should stop throwing his 2 cents in on topics he clearly knows piss all about. I'm done.
    BRADS, Mathias, norsk and 1 others like this.

I've got nothing to add about the vehicles in question, however having just recently purchased an old 4wd (Nissan Terrano) myself I'd avoid AA inspections. I got a couple done on vehicles I was looking at and found them pretty limited, they were more of a quick check by someone a little bit practical rather than a proper mechanical inspection. For example one of the ones I got noted some surging under acceleration, a typical symptom of injector pump issues this model is known for. No mention in the report of the pump just surging unknown cause.

I quickly decided that if the car was close enough for me to look at I'd pick up anything they would, especially after some research into what to lookout for in the particular model your looking at, if the car was to far away to look at I needed a better inspection done anyway so the AA one was redundant.

I'd suggest finding a trusted or well reviewed mechanic shop and get them to do an inspection, it will probably be better than the AA one. Also compared to the price of 4wds even expensive inspections are cheap.
    tetawa and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yes, the difference is I own one of the vehicles in question with the exact same motor, which is a 3.0 Litre turbo diesel (the 1KZ-TE), the other expert on everything clearly doesnt know shit from wild honey and therefore should stop throwing his 2 cents in on topics he clearly knows piss all about. I'm done.
    The 2.8 litre diesel "3L" normally aspirated engine was used in the Prado 90 series for a short, limited run of aid agency vehicles, built to order for remote African application.

Never featured in Japan, Aus or NZ. Hence none here. If there's one in the country, I'll eat my shorts.

But hey, Wikipedia makes you infallible, right? Beats hands on experience any day. Clearly.
    mudgripz, GWH, superdiver and 3 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

surely a v6 petrol hilux surf is not a bad option? still reasonably priced although it has been a while since I looked.

The Surfs crossed our mind for sure, but with 2 dogs and too much other stuff… we thought we could do with a little more space.

For those interested, we just test drove a 2006 Petrol Prado with only 109k km’s on the clock, and it was a thing of beauty. We loved it. All things going well we will probably pick it up. Oh, and for 4 or 5k less than the 97 I started the thread about. To say we are relieved is an understatement. You guys helped us make a better decision today.

Keep your eyes peeled for another Mitcho question about ‘prioritising 4WD mods’!!

Thanks guys,
    Mitch
    jakewire, Trout, Carbine and 2 others like this.