Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: UV rabbit hole

Camo's to avoid people....wind, movement, sound is for deer
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Yes also heard that, but been wondering why there are so many predators hunting deer with camo patterns in nature like leopards etc?
    JessicaChen and Hunteast like this.

the pouches are different..even the non uv photo shows different colour on the seams..... so one could well be treated /washed differently at some point in manufacturing process.
    many years ago when video cameras still had black n white viewing screen,my rifle sling stood out like doggies danglies so got all roughed up.

one of the most striking photos black n white Vs full colour was a falla in red hawaiin style shirt up a tree...without colour he vanished
    if deer dont see red/orange range of spectrum...that vest would be fine....personally dont like blaze orange after seeing summer coat red deer in patch of sunlight in dark bush.....it too looked bright orange.....
    johnd and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Yep i am slowly learning that it is more about movement (and the wind) than what colors I am wearing. However it is still nice to minimize the ability for the deer to spot me.
    Had to do a double take to spot an old boy on a zebra crossing this lunchtime. Braked on time. He was moving real slow so didn't stand out. Clothes neutral, neither dark or light relative to his background.
    JessicaChen likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I'm a big fan of camo. I ve sat 10 ft or so from roaring stags. The face and hands are number one for me. A face veil(I can't stand buffs as they get wet form breathing and over a trip my lips will chap).
    When I was culling I used to wait until I had the gist of which goats were to die first to ensure the whole mob. Sometimes I'd sit there with them. Meandering around me, stopping and looking and sort of looking through me. If my face was uncovered they'd look straight at it from a distance and I'd be screwed pretty quick.

Ive tried low sheen sunscreen on the face. Can't say if it did or didn't work. It drop uv reflection tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Had to do a double take to spot an old boy on a zebra crossing this lunchtime. Braked on time. He was moving real slow so didn't stand out. Clothes neutral, neither dark or light relative to his background.
    Whew, lucky you spotted him. Last night I almost ran into a couple of people biking in the dead of night across an intersection with NO LIGHTS and NO REFLECTIVE ANYTHING. Really dangerous.

But yeah contrast and movement are big, even for us humans with really good eyes (well except me, im blind and need new glasses). Camo patterns can help break up outlines of contrasting colors too.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I recall one rainy night, hardly any street lights on the A11 out of Norwich, UK. Tall beech or whatever trees on the four lane road. I turn right and nearly collide with a jogger out to stake his rights to the road, dressed in black which includes his beanie and beard.

I was stunned that the idiot shouted abuse at me, but I didn't reply with any of the comments my sharp witty and retrospective mind has come up with since.
    JessicaChen and Micky Duck like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I'm a big fan of camo. I ve sat 10 ft or so from roaring stags. The face and hands are number one for me. A face veil(I can't stand buffs as they get wet form breathing and over a trip my lips will chap).
    When I was culling I used to wait until I had the gist of which goats were to die first to ensure the whole mob. Sometimes I'd sit there with them. Meandering around me, stopping and looking and sort of looking through me. If my face was uncovered they'd look straight at it from a distance and I'd be screwed pretty quick.

Ive tried low sheen sunscreen on the face. Can't say if it did or didn't work. It drop uv reflection tho.

100%. Last goat hut after I'd shot two from the mob in the head with subsonic rounds. I wear a buff for this kind of hunting, even goats spook from an uncovered human face.

Last edited by MB; 20-04-2022 at 05:27 PM.
    Cowboy and Micky Duck like this.

Here's something that might be interesting. I had a theory about suncream. Especially the ones that absorb uv.
    I was just packing gear and thought, I wonder what happens when you out suncream on blaze then swing the uv over it. Well turns out it reflects a more purply colour but equally bright. This gets me thinking that the orange reflection under uv that comes from blaze is still in a spectrum that deer can't see(being orangey). I'm no expert and can only go from what I can learn from the net.