Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 3 Post By clem
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 2 Post By Bradp
  • 13 Post By Bobba

Thread: Waikaremoana mid winter - advice

Waikaremoana mid winter - advice

So I have been invited on a hunting and fishing trip to Waikeremoana in a few weeks time and looks like I've been lumped with organising most of it. None of us have been there for quite a few years and I've only been there once when I did the lake walk probably in the mid 90s.

One of the guys is a mad keen on fishing and will bring a boat so the rough plan is to head over to one of the huts on the lake edge and base ourselves there for a few days and see what's around.

I've checked all the hunting permit, hunting areas and hut info etc so got that sorted but would appreciate any other general advice?

I was there in late June. Not hunting or fishing. But a few fish caught by others and 2 deer seen on the road and a bit of fresh sign about some of the walking tracks. Bloody cold but nice when the sun gets up.

Make sure you have pre paid for any hut or camp ground stays, they come and check and know where you are. All very helpful and friendly folk when I stayed "illegally" at campground ( thought it was free ...my bad )You pay an additional fine as well. Also there isnt any "camp where you like and build a bivvy" areas either. Watch out the deer are huge!

I used to take the boat and motor over to a spot under Panekiri Bluff: if you took the boat into a stream mouth and pushed through the cutty grass there was a jetty next to a private (?) hut that was very well concealed. Good stalking, and big bodied animals. But COLD!

hi mate if you add me on facebook messenger my names jacob clement can give you hunting spots just not sure how to add photos from phone onto here. otherwise hunting can be very hit and miss and same as fishing especially winter. troll afew weighted lines around with a lure then a metre or so then a fly. but if you want some good hunting spots send me a PM

Cheers for the input guys. Yep guessing it will be bloody cold hence staying in a hut and not camping out. Checked the bookings online and appear to be empty so hopefully not many people around. Huge deer? Must be a good sign there's plenty of feed.

Will PM you Jacob. Cheers.

Hunted over the back of there 50 plus years ago, average hind would have been 35 kg, stag 65 kg on the hook The numbers made up for lack of weight.

Stills heaps of deer if farm I was fencing on next to Panikiri Bluffs is anything to go by. Also larger than average Red Deer.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Hunted over the back of there 50 plus years ago, average hind would have been 35 kg, stag 65 kg on the hook The numbers made up for lack of weight.
    That means you were hunting in there when you were 13 @tetawa??

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    That means you were hunting in there when you were 13 @tetawa??
    @charliehorse, would love to be 63 again, still running after my dogs instead of walking.
    charliehorse likes this.

I spent a bit of time trapping possums there a couple years back. You don't have to go far from the lake at all as the deer frequent the clearings around the edge of it. 1 morning I was walking the track and came across a mob of about a dozen deer feeding within about 50 meters of people sleeping in there tents at the maraunui campsite. They seem to get pretty use to people there
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

So being cold was an understatement. Snowed all day Monday but woke to the most amazing day Tuesday. Only seen one young stag that ghosted me but caught a few trout. Some sneaky bugger was munching grass 20m from the hutt while we where wrapped up in bed. All in all a great trip with the Mrs and good mates.
    Name:  IMG_20210809_100531_resize_62.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  349.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20210810_093828_resize_74.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  603.2 KB
    tetawa, Danny, Mooseman and 10 others like this.

You wouldn't think those 2 photos were a day apart!

Nice!
    Dan M