Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Waiotaka or Whitikau river valleys, Suggestions Recommendations or Hints

Hi Guy's
    I've been offered a choice of a spring hunt in one of 2 river Valleys in the Kaimanawa forest Park.
    Waiotaka River of Whitikau River.
    Any one hunted these and got any suggestions etc.
    Slip faces accessible from the valley floor,
    how easy is it to move up and down the valley floors, grass areas around the river.
    In the Whitikau, is it practical to walk up the spur to the Ruatahuna tops, or at least part way up to access some north facing country and drop down into it.
    Z

Hi, i have spent a bit of time in the Whitikau, it is steep and dense once you get out of the river bottom, river travel is fairly easy, the walk up to the Ruatahuna tops is not as easy as it looks on the map, fairly steep and shitty, take some water if you go up there you will need it, animal numbers are on the low side and mainly reds, there are a few slips but they are more ferny than grassy and not the deer magnets they should be. i have not been into the Waiotaka but would of thought it would be better hunting due to being harder to access.
    hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Hi, i have spent a bit of time in the Whitikau, it is steep and dense once you get out of the river bottom, river travel is fairly easy, the walk up to the Ruatahuna tops is not as easy as it looks on the map, fairly steep and shitty, take some water if you go up there you will need it, animal numbers are on the low side and mainly reds, there are a few slips but they are more ferny than grassy and not the deer magnets they should be. i have not been into the Waiotaka but would of thought it would be better hunting due to being harder to access.
    hope this helps.
    Thanks, definitely helps.
    Z