Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Wanaka roar ballot blocks

Hi there, anyone had any recent experiance hunting on the Wanaka ballot blocks? like maybe last couple of years. I understand deer numbers were well down up till when WARO slowed / stopped 2 or 3 years ago, Just wondering if animal numbers have improved, and what blocks are the better ones / better chopper operators in that area etc

Venison recovery operations are still going flat out around Otago with Alpine helicopters hammering pretty much everywhere.
    They have a venison processing facility and a large chiller truck that holds 130 deer and a strong market for venison.
    Haven't hunted the Wanaka blocks lately but cant imagine they would have left the handy areas alone.
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.

Thanks for the info yogi, i thought WARO had all but stopped a couple of years back when venison price dropped, I had heard a rumour it was starting up again a few months back with venison price improving, hence need that local knowlegde to make our plans for roar of 2022

Another area of interest is the Mighty Whitcombe, any one know if there is WARO currently happening in that area ?

T.w
    Alpine have a contract (so I've heard) for super markets that's why they are still shooting the shit out of places down here. And have alook at their Facebook page too.
    This picture may be farmed animals so I could be wrong
    Name:  Screenshot_20210923-125917_Facebook.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  1,018.9 KB

1,400 deer off one North Otago property over recent months so I heard.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    1,400 deer off one North Otago property over recent months so I heard.
    I think the property you mention was getting shot again yesterday and also last week.
    There were 2 Hughes 500s flying all yesterday morning and the Alpine group chiller truck came past us after lunch.
    I havent seen venison recovery carried out to such a large scale around North Otago since the 80's.
    Some of the runholders around here want all the deer gone completely unfortunately.
    Many runholders wont let guys out shooting or only a few of their mates, which has now resulted in increased numbers. The increased numbers have started hammering the crops and paddocks resulting in a real anti deer mentality which Alpine helicopters are now taking advantage.
    We just hope they don't keep going until there will be none left as is what happened back in the early 80's .
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.