Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: West coast

Cheers guys I understand u worked hard for your local knowledge
    I'm not a snitch wouldn't be passing anything on
    But hey I'm sure I'll find sumthing as will be covering a few miles

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    All creeks and river systems have animals on the coast.

Most sensible hunters who reside on the coast, will only direct you to the above.
    When I started out hunting it was very rare to see a boot mark let alone an animal mark.
    The last few years there have been more and more people around and I spose because of sites like this etc.
    You help one person out and they can't help but blab to their mates and before you know it you need to line up for a ticket just to hunt what used to be a good spot.
    If you know what you are doing it won't be hard to find an animal on the coast.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Yip. Unfortunatley the way it is. Despite the amount of animals 90% of people seem to lack the imagination to explore for themselves.

My advice is this, get yourself some topo maps. Lay them out and look for areas of bush close to roads that people would drive right past without a second glance. These spots are usually off to the side of roads without any lay bus or car parks. Look for terraces and ridges with reasonable sized flat areas where water would pool up for wallows etc. GPS mark these spots then park your truck there early morning and get into it. I have shot stags within metres of my gps marks where I thought a wallow would be by doing this and have never had someone else hunting the same spot.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    Yip. Unfortunatley the way it is. Despite the amount of animals 90% of people seem to lack the imagination to explore for themselves.

My advice is this, get yourself some topo maps. Lay them out and look for areas of bush close to roads that people would drive right past without a second glance. These spots are usually off to the side of roads without any lay bus or car parks. Look for terraces and ridges with reasonable sized flat areas where water would pool up for wallows etc. GPS mark these spots then park your truck there early morning and get into it. I have shot stags within metres of my gps marks where I thought a wallow would be by doing this and have never had someone else hunting the same spot.
    Probably some of the best hunting advice given out on this forum
    Vault likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nobody is being harsh in there comments .
    Grab a spot X book and make a plan .
    I myself enjoy going to somewhere new and have a look.
    Topo map are good ,study a spot check the contour and creek system then google earth then go back to topo to remind yourself that it isnt as flat as Google shows.
    offering a box of beer is not going to make someone give up his or her spot X
    Nor is asking for info on hunting spots then asking for people or pubs to go drinking showing that you a serious hunter on a trip of a lifetime.
    Enjoy the trip and write a story on your return the west coast is huge place with so many spots that you will find somewhere to hunt and a sucessfill trip is not about deer kills its just about being in the bush somewhere new.
    If it was about getting a deer every time I would have given up a long time ago.
    Vault likes this.
    Love walking my gun

Pick a decent sized valley system, go up it for 3 days or so fly camping on the move. If they're roaring you'll get onto something, if not - get on the binos and get in the bush to check out the bits that could hold deer - flat terraces & knobs, guts, basins etc. A mapping GPS is awesome when hunting spots you don't know on the fly.