Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What bullets do you recommend.

Walking my rifle
    to be fair, most of my deer nowadays gets shot with 16" 243 loaded with 85gr sierra varminter, or a 270 loaded with a 150gr berger VLD that i use for long range deer out to 800 yards.
    The 85gr sierra goes clean though a red, i even shot a hind at 10m or so and it went through on a high shoulder shot.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Banned
    Good thread. Yeah what's with the game kings getting expensive?I've found the speer btsp to be much like a game king and cheeap

Speer hotcore or Nosler partitions are top of my list. But any of the cup n core projectiles will work in bush hunting.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I used the 168gr eldm for the first time on a good sized yearling last weekend, quite impressed with how it performed and surprised it's not as explosive as the sst.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I disagree with some of this. Firstly not all animals are the same size or shot in the same place. Secondly there is commonly an incorrect understanding of how bullets kill. Bullets dont have a lot of energy on impact ( less than a cricket ball ) to 'dump' in the animal. Big animals are lost with soft bullets when the bullet disintegrates and the energy is dissipated into the tissue without penetrating, and smaller animals have a big area destroyed. Projectiles are the lowest cost item on a hunting trip so is there a good reason to use cheap ones ?
    A bullet like an Accubond or Partition that opens immediately but holds the same diameter and fully penetrates is better. The animal will often run a few metres but is always found with a 40 - 50 mm hole cut right through. They never run off with a smashed shoulder and escape.
    I’m not really sure what you are disagreeing with? You basically supported my statement around choosing the correct projectile for the job.
    Soft or hard, you choose what you use based on the application you are putting it in to most effectively kill the animal.
    Micky Duck likes this.