Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: What calibre?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I really dont understand the 308/708 north island 270-3006 south island mentality.
    Both have plenty of bush hunting both have plenty of flats/slips regen open country.
    yes but in the south island we have less people, better beer and being stuck in traffic is still actually an occasional thing not a daily thing

If you are comfortable with a .243 then go with that or if its the perfect excuse for something bugger then ............................... (you don't have to justify your choice to anyone but you)

They will all do the job providing you do your bit.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfish View Post
    But where's the fun in that? My bank account hates me already so not a problem.

The actual shipping of firearms into NZ is fairly simple, but when you start adding everything up its just not worth it unless your guns are something really special (which mine are not). Also I will be staying with family to start with so shipping my stuff is just extra agro. So I thought I would sell it all and buy one nice deer rifle. Then I will start squirreling money away to buy another varmint gun and shotgun.
    Fair comment
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Good idea, speak to Anglo pacific shipping they we're offering air delivery of boxes, cheaper than extra baggage, which part of the country are you going to live

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Good idea, speak to Anglo pacific shipping they we're offering air delivery of boxes, cheaper than extra baggage, which part of the country are you going to live
    Thats good to know, cheers.

Well Id like to live in a small hut somewhere on the south island, but the wife and kids were not so keen. So Im going to be near Cambridge on the North island. So if anyone in the area wants a new hunting buddy give me a shout.
    gadgetman likes this.

If that's Cambridge in the waikato you're moving to then let me know when you are settled in and ready to hunt,I'm only 20mins away from you.
    Be keen to catch up and show you a few areas.
    gadgetman, mikee, Pengy and 3 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    If that's Cambridge in the waikato you're moving to then let me know when you are settled in and ready to hunt,I'm only 20mins away from you.
    Be keen to catch up and show you a few areas.
    Sounds like a plan, I'll give you a shout once Im sorted, it will be some time near the end of August I would have thought.

Good luck dealing with immigration and you cant go wrong with .308

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    hawkfish likes this.

Thats good to know, cheers.

Well Id like to live in a small hut somewhere on the south island, but the wife and kids were not so keen. So Im going to be near Cambridge on the North island. So if anyone in the area wants a new hunting buddy give me a shout.
    I live in Te Awamutu which is also not far from cambridge and I have no hesitations in catching up for a beer (I will corrupt you into sampling our finest local beer), hunt or fish

my caliber vote 270 or 308
    hawkfish likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I live in Te Awamutu which is also not far from cambridge and I have no hesitations in catching up for a beer (I will corrupt you into sampling our finest local beer), hunt or fish

my caliber vote 270 or 308

Awesome, Im up for all of the above! I know my stuff over here, what things feed on, where animals will be at certain times of the day and at different times of the year, what bird calls to listen out for and how to read all the sign. But being in a different country chasing different animals is going to be a big learning curve so Im up for any experience I can get, and obviously a few beers can never be a bad thing f

Awesome, Im up for all of the above! I know my stuff over here, what things feed on, where animals will be at certain times of the day and at different times of the year, what bird calls to listen out for and how to read all the sign. But being in a different country chasing different animals is going to be a big learning curve so Im up for any experience I can get, and obviously a few beers can never be a bad thing f

just remember we like our beer cold, just saying, late father in law was a pom and warm beer just doesn't cut the mustard..
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    [/COLOR]just remember we like our beer cold, just saying, late father in law was a pom and warm beer just doesn't cut the mustard..
    Dont worry Im with you on that one, warm beer just isnt right..

Nga
    That old chestnut ...... Shit do we give immigrants guns easy solution .308, can't go Wong with that.
    gadgetman likes this.
    Roses are red
    Bacon is red
    Poems are hard
    Bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I really dont understand the 308/708 north island 270-3006 south island mentality.
    Both have plenty of bush hunting both have plenty of flats/slips regen open country.
    come on you know the answer, the North island doesn't have, "The greatest game animal in NZ", the eye sight or a Falcon, ability to vanish is a heart beat, run like the wind, jump ten times there hight, I love hunting Chamious. ,

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    come on you know the answer, the North island doesn't have, "The greatest game animal in NZ", the eye sight or a Falcon, ability to vanish is a heart beat, run like the wind, jump ten times there height, ,
    There are Hares in both islands mate
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    come on you know the answer, the North island doesn't have, "The greatest game animal in NZ", the eye sight or a Falcon, ability to vanish is a heart beat, run like the wind, jump ten times there hight, I love hunting Chamious. ,
    Should learn how to spell it then
    veitnamcam and Scouser like this.