Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: What to do about bone taint

Nah sausage the whole thing, take it county's home kill pinnacle Rd and get merit and black pepper and chorizo �� taken quite a few whole now

Ahhh black pepper and anything in sausages is my kryptonite.
    WaikatoBushman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    As @Moa Hunter pointed out don't sausage the lot. If you don't know already learn how to butcher into various cuts. I was taught by an old school butcher but will still watch YouTube vids to "keep sharp" for lack of a better term/practice. Scott Rea/Rhea? Has some very interesting films and recipes. Probably not many regarding wild pig but the principles are still relevant.
    I've done a few goats and a sheep. But I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Nah sausage the whole thing, take it county's home kill pinnacle Rd and get merit and black pepper and chorizo �� taken quite a few whole now
    That's the plan! They're prices are really good too!

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Soviet 22, The weather is getting warmer so whipping the wheels of a pig and stashing them in a pack without cooling may turnout to produce a very Un-cool result !
    Field dressing and getting air through it would be best.
    What if you get a cracking young boar or maiden sow of 60-70 lb ? It would be sacrilege to sausage the lot, and I would recommend that you be banned from the forum and publicly flogged if you did that right before Xmas when some choice roasts could be handy or even a wild pork ham which is always much better than the farmed stuff.

Have you been taught how to cleanly gut ??? It is important to know what you are doing. In the past a lot of blokes were trained at the freezing works and then they taught their mates. This doesn't happen much now so put your hand up, there are plenty of experienced blokes on the forum who would be pleased to help if asked.
    I’m keen for any advice on gutting in the field, I have done hundreds of sheep on my parent farm and have cleaned a few dear the same way when I have had time and a tree to hang it in but never done a pig. Any advice would be greatfully excepted. Cheers James.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Soviet 22, The weather is getting warmer so whipping the wheels of a pig and stashing them in a pack without cooling may turnout to produce a very Un-cool result !
    Field dressing and getting air through it would be best.
    What if you get a cracking young boar or maiden sow of 60-70 lb ? It would be sacrilege to sausage the lot, and I would recommend that you be banned from the forum and publicly flogged if you did that right before Xmas when some choice roasts could be handy or even a wild pork ham which is always much better than the farmed stuff.

Have you been taught how to cleanly gut ??? It is important to know what you are doing. In the past a lot of blokes were trained at the freezing works and then they taught their mates. This doesn't happen much now so put your hand up, there are plenty of experienced blokes on the forum who would be pleased to help if asked.
    True!

Depends on how many we get. At this stage I'd rather just have some wild pork to eat. If the ham is relatively easy to do I'll get one.

My gutting experience is limited but I've been taught the basics and clean way. I just need to gut some more so I can do it fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    I’m keen for any advice on gutting in the field, I have done hundreds of sheep on my parent farm and have cleaned a few dear the same way when I have had time and a tree to hang it in but never done a pig. Any advice would be greatfully excepted. Cheers James.
    I'd suggest a spare long knife for the butt hole. So no contamination and easier to cut around.

Pushing the guts in while you cut the belly is a good tip.

Cable tie the butt hole so no poo comes out.

Cable ties or rubber bands need more love. Just don't leave them on the hill or the plastic police/whales will haunt you for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Cable ties or rubber bands need more love. Just don't leave them on the hill or the plastic police/whales will haunt you for ever.
    Good heavens no. It annoys me to see a show lot of rubbish near the hits I frequent.