Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What do kaimai's deer eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I think they call that one Pate or something like that similar to Five Finger.
    Yeah that's the bugger! Its in the book but forgot its name

Oh which book? NZ Hunter did a really good series on deer palatable species a while back

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    Don’t forget as well that the block borders farmland, if you venture down that hill side you’ll find game trails everywhere.
    I did. Scared the shit out of me in the pitch black. Dodgy as fuck.

The edge of the gully and steep bit seemed quite productive though.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Oh which book? NZ Hunter did a really good series on deer palatable species a while back
    Red Deer in NZ by Lentin and Saxton
    Micky Duck likes this.

Year guys whatch out for those bluffs on the Waikato side! But you will find plenty of whitey wood and broad leaf on those evening sun faces.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Year guys whatch out for those bluffs on the Waikato side! But you will find plenty of whitey wood and broad leaf on those evening sun faces.
    I once took a “short cut” by going down the creek that you cross as you leave the farmland, right from the top. Never again.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Yes going down a creek in the Kaimais got the feckin Tshirt and I'll join you in that never again club. Always packed 50meters of 10mm cord after that just for the bluffy sections. Good map reading skills are a must. You get down one and might think ok cool that's down and end up stuck because there's a shit load more and can't get back up. In the end I mostly try left our right first before deploying the rope
    tanqueray likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Yes going down a creek in the Kaimais got the feckin Tshirt and I'll join you in that never again club. Always packed 50meters of 10mm cord after that just for the bluffy sections. Good map reading skills are a must. You get down one and might think ok cool that's down and end up stuck because there's a shit load more and can't get back up. In the end I mostly try left our right first before deploying the rope
    Where the hell are you buggers going???

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Where the hell are you buggers going???
    Up the ridges. Down the creeks. Sideways into bluffs and sliding down waterfalls by the sounds of it

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Up the ridges. Down the creeks. Sideways into bluffs and sliding down waterfalls by the sounds of it

Haha been there, done that. Never plan on going down any creeks in the kaimais. Sooner or later they turn into waterfalls, walls narrow in, and supple jack trys to strangle you to death.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Haha been there, done that. Never plan on going down any creeks in the kaimais. Sooner or later they turn into waterfalls, walls narrow in, and supple jack trys to strangle you to death.
    I never plan to do so ever again either.

Same with the logging tram lines right or do they just disappear at some point in the northern part. And run across the ranges.?

I have never encountered one but I go the middle bit not te aroha or hurunui in the southern part.

.243 addict
    Yep the Kaimais is a good place to start for jungle training. I spent a couple of years goat culling in there during the mid 70s. Hunted most areas from St\Hw 29 to Waihi. Shot my share of goats deer pigs and wild cattle, helped pathfind a few of the tracks and build a couple of the huts for servicing our forest service crews. All good memories. Even picked up a couple of pieces off a DC 3
    Gibo, Russian 22. and 300blk like this.

bloody tram lines everywhere where I go some good some not shot 3 this year on tram lines full of toi toi an crap think they like the sun on the colder days an it's a good way to travel in those logged areas . as for what they eat f#@k knows but they do get skinny in winter . do see kie kie grazed any broadleafed plants I hardly see because they grazed out to over head hight grassy clearings are usually mowed flat except for that noisy rice grass stuff that s never touched . yet to see a deer on a clearing in kaimai and I know of a few decent clearings. dose your head in sometimes but love the place . most hunters i see are top blokes to have a chat to share a bit of knowledge both ways and it's good to know where guys are roughly from a safety and planing perspective
    good luck to ya
    Kane
    matto1234, BeeMan and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMan View Post
    Yep the Kaimais is a good place to start for jungle training. I spent a couple of years goat culling in there during the mid 70s. Hunted most areas from St\Hw 29 to Waihi. Shot my share of goats deer pigs and wild cattle, helped pathfind a few of the tracks and build a couple of the huts for servicing our forest service crews. All good memories. Even picked up a couple of pieces off a DC 3
    I once dropped off from near Kauritatahi hut planning to take a short cut out to the Gordon Base. 2 nutilating hours later I had climbed back up kiekie faces and rock chimneys with a totally full mountain mule pack and my 303 onto the track totally stuffed. As said: "never again follow a creek down" on the west side anyway.

Also of course, don't bother following a creek out on the plateaus either. They curl round back and forth in knots. Use your compass have confidence and follow it up hill down dale in and out of creeks but in a straight line.

What do you guys make of this ?
    I reckon its antler rubbing but some say its gnawing with teeth.
    Te Rereatukahia August 2017
    Name:  BarkdTree.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  573.8 KB
    I think this is Coprosma grandifolia.
    Name:  striptBark800.jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  382.1 KB
    The green long leaves like a flax are kiekie.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Looks like a rub to me. I didn't notice any around the area I went to.