Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is last light?

@rugerman. NZ Road Code, hours of darkness: 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day or at any other time you cannot clearly see a person or object at a distance of 100 meters.

Oh sweet, I knew these cataracts would pay off one day

On one of my NZ exploration missions about 3 years ago, I ended up in a well known pub on the eastern flanks of the Catlins. Saturday night, All Blacks vs Aussie, big pig hunting competition had finished that arvo. Lots of fairly hammered local lads & lasses all dressed up in their best camo and Swannies.

After the final whistle, I was invited out to go spotlighting. Eh? Where? In such-and-such a block. But that’s public land, says I. And you’re shitfaced.

Yeah so what. And off they went.

I went and spent the night out the back of the pub. Caught up with the same bunch the next morning at the pig weigh in, they were looking pretty rank and hungover. Good pigs though, lots of real big ginger boars. And a two utes with trays full of deer...
    CATLINS HUNTER likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

If you can read the almanac then the green light is on.
    GravelBen likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

This rule is really so you can identify your firing zone. People tend to forget this one.
    Moa Hunter, Cordite and Finnwolf like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Ned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    This rule is really so you can identify your firing zone. People tend to forget this one.
    That would be my take. You could still identify a target with very little light. Especially with good optics. But how far past it can you see and what's beyond it? Have you already seen the firing zone before light started fading or do you have no idea what your shooting towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    On one of my NZ exploration missions about 3 years ago, I ended up in a well known pub on the eastern flanks of the Catlins. Saturday night, All Blacks vs Aussie, big pig hunting competition had finished that arvo. Lots of fairly hammered local lads & lasses all dressed up in their best camo and Swannies.

After the final whistle, I was invited out to go spotlighting. Eh? Where? In such-and-such a block. But that’s public land, says I. And you’re shitfaced.

Yeah so what. And off they went.

I went and spent the night out the back of the pub. Caught up with the same bunch the next morning at the pig weigh in, they were looking pretty rank and hungover. Good pigs though, lots of real big ginger boars. And a two utes with trays full of deer...
    That does sound like the Catlins!

Walking my rifle
    Cheers for the replies guys, yeah was just wondering. Sounds like if you can still cearly see the deer and identify it then you are sweet. Looks like 30 mins after the sunset on the internet its pretty much dark anyway.

Maybe we should let off a shot before the firing zone has been cleared with one of these boys:

Name:  battle-field-surveillance-radar.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  42.9 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    In 30 years of hunting I have never pondered this stupid question before , if you can identify the deer clearly shoot it , if its too dark turn your torch on & go home , what the fuck is it with people trying to complicate things .
    What he said. Ive shot a lot of deer at very last light. I mean Laaaast light.