Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What to pack for a 2 day trip - Kaimais

Dago
    Used to take some Imodium along. One trip a fellow hunter had gyppo guts which crippled him and we had to evacuate him as a matter of urgency.

Dried sausage (wors) and biltong is light and extremely satisfying. Need to ensure there is plentiful water as the salt dries one out big time.
    Milan501 and Fireflite like this.

Dehys don’t take up that much weight and water in the scheme of things, if you haven’t got enough water to cook a dehy then your probably not going to go to well hunting and camping from that spot regardless.

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    Used to take some Imodium along. One trip a fellow hunter had gyppo guts which crippled him and we had to evacuate him as a matter of urgency.
    I make sure I have that in my kit too, I've vacuum packed the different drug strips and colour coded them in case I lose my "optics"
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I was planning to go in by the waterfall and make my way down to the Mangamuka Hut .

Awesome info , thanks guys , appreciate it

Do you mean Wairere falls? It would be far quicker going up the Te Tuhi track.
    Milan501 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Do you mean Wairere falls? It would be far quicker going up the Te Tuhi track.
    Is there a safe spot to park up there ? I am not familiar with the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Milan501 View Post
    Is there a safe spot to park up there ? I am not familiar with the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is like Queen street. Basically as busy as clements mill but with day hikers.

The council do have cameras in the car park and their's heaps of people around.

Te Tuhi road end should be all good. Far less busy than Wairere falls and much closer to mangamuka hut
    Bagheera likes this.

Keep in mind that at this time of the year the cloud will probably be down along the Kaimai tops most mornings, if it is clear up top and you can look down on the Waikato side and it is fog bound down there that fog will lift usually mid to late morning and put you back into cloud like conditions for maybe a couple of hours...there are two cameras at Waharoa aerodrome, one films the area you are headed for...there is a weather station owned by local hang gliding club and assessable online...yr.no website can give you up to date forecast if you give 'kaimai tunnel' as reference point, that site also gives Waharoa aerodrome cameras...don't be put off by low cloud as the stags love it, you just have to bear with it.

Te tuhi rd end is safe. Wairere is an easy walk just get in early so you dont get stuck behind 1000 slow walking trampers. Lots of animals up wairere as well if you just set up a fly camp rather then walk all the way to mangamuka from there. Make sure your gps/ map and compass are working or things will get cunty quickly
    Bagheera likes this.

Secateurs.

Had quite a bit of water but those meals just seemed to suck it up. Had easily enough for normal day hunting and some extra for coffee and cup a soup type of thing.
    Compared to having a bit of steak and some potatoes and baked beans which gave more energy and not use any water.
    Find dehy meals warm you up and fill a bit of a gap they are low in energy for what you are doing. With the weight carried with the water you carry far more calories in the other food.
    Not a criticism just an observation from recent experience.
    Gun control is using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Something to cook and eat perhaps. ? :>) Apart from that your list is very good_
    Just chew on a bit of supplejack, plenty of it to chose from

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    Had quite a bit of water but those meals just seemed to suck it up. Had easily enough for normal day hunting and some extra for coffee and cup a soup type of thing.
    Compared to having a bit of steak and some potatoes and baked beans which gave more energy and not use any water.
    Find dehy meals warm you up and fill a bit of a gap they are low in energy for what you are doing. With the weight carried with the water you carry far more calories in the other food.
    Not a criticism just an observation from recent experience.
    Yeah especially with an overnighter, just take some real food, leave the soggy cardboard(back country) for when space is tight on longer trips.