Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What to take with you

freeze dry food is light tucker to take bush
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

there was a handy thread on the other site, now a sticky, by nimrod, worth looking up

Look after your feet!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Yes Lieutenant Dan!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

Quote Originally Posted by The Rifleman View Post
    Look after your feet!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Yes Lieutenant Dan![/QUOTE]

Or mushrooms will grow,just ask goatcommander
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I fly camp so I hang all of my wet gear down each end of the fly - the socks dry out a wee bit which helps. A microfibre towel will usually dry out overnight too.

I found chinese knock-off self-inflating sleeping mats going for about $45 online - they're bulkier than a fancy thermarest but not $200+

The other thing is pasta meals from the super are cheaper than the proper freeze dried stuff - just add a few bits of salami for protein.

Condensed Milk in a tube like toothpaste.. that stuff is essential.
    A self-igniting cheapie ($25 on TardMe) gas burner - fits in a matchbox and learn how long a cylinder will last - for the price taking a fresh one in each time is ok by me

Dry socks are good but if yer boots are soaked thru it's a bit pointless - I tried some of the flash technical socks but am sticking with the Norsewears

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Dry socks are good but if yer boots are soaked thru it's a bit pointless - I tried some of the flash technical socks but am sticking with the Norsewears
    Not quite, the point of dry socks is so after a day of wet feet you can dry your feet put warm dry socks on and wear your gummys/crocks/spareboots/slippers whatever round camp while you sort out something warm to put in your guts, and wear to bed if its cold. it is also much easyer to put a warm dry foot insulated with a warm dry sock into a frozen solid wet boot
    and if you have wet feet for 7-10 days and they never get a chance to dry...... ah well you will find out.
    EeeBees likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    and if you have wet feet for 7-10 days and they never get a chance to dry
    You will be walking out on the stubs of your ankles.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Socks .
    Nice fluffy 80% wool blend ones with three bands of elastic so no matter how long you have been walking in wet feet they don't bunch up at your toe.
    I go a wet set and a dry camp set of clothes but a pair of socks per day.

Look after your feet!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Something i learnt at mountaineering school, put you damp/wet (after wringing then out!) socks on your belly when you get in your sleeping bag, they will be nice n warm & dry when you put them back on in the morning!!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    +1 but it feels weird when you don ya pants back up with a wet crack!!
    .....TMI......

I am also an advocate for baby wipes on extended hunting trips. They make a huge difference when you can't go to a water source for a wash down. One each for your pits and bits and your fresh as a daisy before hopping into your fart sack. All my mates used to give me shit for using them, now they all use them on longer hunting trips.

You can buy more manly unscented ones from outdoors shops if that helps.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I am also an advocate for baby wipes on extended hunting trips. They make a huge difference when you can't go to a water source for a wash down. One each for your pits and bits and your fresh as a daisy before hopping into your fart sack. All my mates used to give me shit for using them, now they all use them on longer hunting trips.

You can buy more manly unscented ones from outdoors shops if that helps.
    Eem.....yes, me too, my partner 'insisted' after i kept coming home looking like a 'Borg with zits'..........

See! Baby wipes I tell you! Take them out of the big packet and put them in a zip lock bag, only as many as you need. And man up you lot about wet socks - maybe I just have epic feet. I have not passed the 10 day mark out in the bush in one go but never had an issue with my laying on the wet clothes thing. They are usually near dry by the time I wake up anyway! I'm not being an idiot either and not seizing opportunity - if I've had a minute, sure, whip them off and hang them in the sun. Only wear as many layers as you need. Blah blah, I was a soldier once not always an officer!

I also still roll with the hoochie lay-out and sleep with my boots tucked under my legs. Stops your boots freezing and also you moving around/sliding, then you can find your boots in the morning without a torch either.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Manning up to the cold and wet kick starts the heart better than coffee.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Don't fill up with 80L of crap. You will need a good 30L of space to bring out any meat you shoot which I take it is the purpose of heading bush
    EeeBees likes this.

SiB
    An alternative to the handy-wipes for those of us who are afraid of getting ribbed by their mates is to take a pack or 3 of those 'handy-pack' paper tissues. Really strong, they re-fold for optimum use, and best of all, they don't fall apart like crushed bog-roll does.

The alcohol-based wipes are briliiant for sterilising your eating kit after questionable washing - and will make a handy firelighter too! (I'm still looking for the larger-sized ones like in army-issue rat packs)
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.