Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What to take with you

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I've pondered how you jokers manage to survive so long with minimal food. I get hungry, and grumpy if I don't have a big meal at end of day, and I ain't a big guy.

Outdoorlad, do you not take a roll out mat to sleep on?
    yes I do, a exped downmat, also a down jacket for wearing around camp/glassing, I put it in my sleeping bag stuff sack at night for a pillow.

cheap wollen gloves & a beanie for the colder months.

Food wise on a walk in trip I'm more interested in best calorie bang for weight
    So either a premix of muesli & milk powder in a ziplock bag or Porridge (+rasins) for BF
    Lunch, crackers, tuna/salami cheese, orange
    Snacks, nut mix, OSM bars, bumper bars, choc bars, barley sugars, etc
    Dinner, Freeze dry 2 person meal or Kaweka meal, etc
    tea, coffee, raro sachets, soups, milk powder

Couple of GU carbo shots in case you get rooted on a big carry/day out & GU Electrolyte Brew tablets for rehydrating in the hotter months.

Hopefully you get a feed of steak to supplement things, basically be like a deer, decent feed in the morning & at night, nibble during the day.
    Gibo likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Manning up to the cold and wet kick starts the heart better than coffee.
    Yeah, my old mantra....'put em on wet, walk them out dry'......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Are you doing alpine stuff? Very different list of gear compared to NI bush hunting. I can't comment on alpine stuff.

My hunting revolves around fly camping where nightfall catches up with you in typical NI lowland bush environment. There are a few things I'd like to add on the subject, mainly about weight. You ask what you need for a week? Well, its exactly what you would take on a three dayer, except with more food

1. Thermarest. No ifs or buts. Essential

2. Weigh out your food portions, have your daily intake planned before you leave

3. Clothing system should involve multiple layers, in both your wet set and dry set. No big heavy jackets etc.

4. Compartmentalize everything in your pack in the name of waterproofing and ease of access. Ziplock bags aren't just for drug dealers!

In Fiordland a couple of years ago, wring out wet clothes and put under fly for the night. Next morning wring them out a gain. 5-10min and your all cozy again. Did that for 5 days. On last day put on spare dry hunting clothes and out into the drizzle, aaaagh that was nice. Not something you would want to do in cold/alpine areas

Marino thermals and chocolate, the difference between a happy boy at the 7 day mark or wanting to go home

Luxurys like bacon are essential
    Scouser and rookiesniper like this.